Old 03-31-2014, 04:40 PM   #61
FlyWright
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
FlyWright I have read about it and my old school ways wouldn't step aside and let me try this . I haven't bought all my varnish just yet .I 've only really bought enough to get started . I have to spread the varnish bill out a little bit you know. My dad was a painter all his life and all he ever let me do was move drop cloths around and watch . I remember one time we were at the paint store ,they didn't have what he really wanted but they had something else . He asked the guy if he could come around the counter and smell the finish that he had . The guy looked at him like he was crazy but let him smell it .Dad said nope and we went somewhere else .I thought he was crazy to but he knew what he was talking about . Dad forgive me but I might try this stuff .Three coats in one day sounds goooood. Thanks for the info FlyWright .
When I use the varnish, I don't sand it, but I scuff it up with a green Scotchbrite pad to prepare it for the next coat, then give it a light wipe with a slightly damp cloth. It's a trick I learned from an old-timer at the dock. Saves some work in sanding and cleaning.

I bet your Dad didn't use the exact same stuff your Grandad used. No need to be held to yesterday's products exclusively (although it's still great varnish!). You could always try it on a test piece first to see if you like it. The Epifane's website even mentions being able to use the varnish for the last couple of coats. I didn't try that, but like the idea that I can varnish over it if I need or want to.

Incidentally, I found out the other day that this stuff is pretty tough. I came into the slip with a bit of a crosswind and the fwd cap rail made 'firm' contact with the white rubber bumper on the post for my covered slip. I pivoted on that post contact until I was properly aligned and slid forward into the slip. There was a slight film of white rubber on the caprail, but not a speck of damage. Gotta love it!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote