Old 03-31-2014, 01:34 PM   #58
FlyWright
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Here is three coats of Epifanes clear on my door panels .This is new teak . First coat thinned 50% next two coats thinned 25% I hope to get 8 coats on before getting burned out but don't think I will make it . I've heard the magic is the 13th coat . I know that ain't happening .Can't rush it . Has to dry 24 hrs in decent climate and sand between coats . I'm using TDS (teak decking systems) caulk in the grooves and all joints .
PM,

Have you looked at the Epifanes Wood Finish Gloss product? No sanding required between coats, compatible with the Epifanes varnish already used and if you time it right, you can get up to 3 coats per day. With this stuff, 13 coats is achievable.

I used it on my cap rail last year and was very pleased with the product and results. Can't tell the difference from all the other wood with Epifanes Gloss Varnish applied.

Here's a cut and paste from their FAQ page:

Question: Could you explain the differences between varnishes that require sanding between coats and those that don't require sanding? Is there a difference in life expectancy between the two? Also, what is the effective shelf life of varnish? Does storage temperature play a roll?

Answer: There are many, many varnishes; clear finishes and hybrid clear coatings on the market today. Most manufacturers have made some attempt in various directions in order to create an easier, faster, longer lasting finish. Unfortunately, we can only comment in any detail on our own products. For obvious reasons, it would be unfair to do otherwise. Twelve years ago, Epifanes produced a finish very similar to our Clear High Gloss Varnish, called Wood Finish Gloss. It is a tung oil, alkyd resin based finish just like our varnish however, it does contain ingredients not normally found in traditional varnishes producing one significant difference. Wood Finish does not require sanding between coats provided the next coat is applied within a 72-hour period. This feature has an obvious effect on the amount of labor and time required to build a finish from bare wood. Sanding is optional. Wood Finish changes the focus of sanding completely. You are no longer sanding for adhesion but appearance only. Are you sacrificing any integrity by using this product? At this point in time no. However, having said that, we are recommending top coating this product with our varnish for the ultimate in performance. We have 97 years experience with our Clear High Gloss Varnish and only twelve years with the Woodfinish. Time will tell. Unopened varnish has virtually no shelf life. We have opened five-year-old varnish that has been perfectly good. The oils and resins may change color and consistency slightly but essentially the product should be fine. Once opened however, the life of the varnish will be greatly reduced. Each time it is opened, a portion of the solvent evaporates leaving a thicker mixture more prone to solidifying. Store the container upside down, reduce the air space, and keep the varnish cool. I have more problems keeping varnish in Florida than Maine. The temperature plays a major roll. Store in a cool area of the basement.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote