On getting "waked" / vandalism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
>If the boat being passed is making 7 knots and the boat passing is making 8 knots it's going to be a long, uncomfortable pass.<

A nautical mile is about 6000ft, passing a 60 ft boat at a 1K speed difference is not that long.

From 300' behind to 300' ahead is 6 minutes. From 500' behind to 500' ahead is 10 minutes.

Neither probably an issue with no traffic, but when you're on a busy waterway with approaching boats, it is lengthy. Often not time to clear before meeting another boat. Just all depends on what else is going on around.

To me far more complication with those going 12 knots. They put one in a situation where it's hard to pass without creating a wake. Consider approaching such a boat from behind at 20 knots. Often the choices are (A) They continue at 12 knots, we pass at 15-20, quickly but with wake or (B) They slow to 8 knots, we pass at 10-12, no wake, then speed up after passing.

We have one non trawler type that we can go around 10 knots with minimal wake, at 12-20 however we have a substantial wake, at 40 knots we have very little wake yet often people are upset if you pass at that speed. But if a boat maintains at 15 knots or so as we want to pass, our only choices are open it up to minimize wake or pass slowly creating a large wake. On the other hand if the boat being overtaken slows to 6-8 knots we can pass at 10 and give no wake.

One of the funny things is to be behind a boat which is creating a very large wake itself. The likelihood is strong then at a passing speed, assuming they maintain speed, then you're going to create a large wake.

Last week this ship passed us traveling at about 10 knots, making hardly a ripple:

img_222536_0_1845a761f77cbefba63014629c24b4f5.jpg

If the wake is sizable, I normally turn into it and cut the throttle to idle.

Seems tugs without tows throw higher wakes than those with tows:

img_222536_1_9a9b64e77ecded701a177f2488e5c32f.jpg

Following tug Bob down the Napa River showed it had reduced speed to "no wake" while passing the boat docks along Edgerley Island (here shown subsequently in Mare Island Strait.)

img_222536_2_2cd161116b53c91c0fc14ae9d899c5ca.jpg

The 38-knot ferry in the extreme left of the photo runs at reduced speed in the strait, but even then we need to turn into its wake to avoid extreme rolling.

Last edited:
When we were cruising on the sailboat, we took our dog ("Cindy the boat dog!") with us on the four-year cruise. She could spot a wake coming long before I could, and would jump down to a secure spot to ride it out. Wakes are just a part of life if you are on a sailboat, and no more use to fret about them than to fret about jellyfish in the Chesapeake. I memorized the Serenity Prayer. Also did a lot of target practice with an imaginary rifle.

"I simply turn at the right time and let the wake pass under my stern with nary a motion felt."

Do you turn your stern to the wake? It's been my practice to turn bow into the wake.
Either, as convenient to the situation.
Problems arise when neither is an option, due to shore, other vessels in proximity, etc. The overtaking vessel should do so with safety and courtesy.

We have been in Boot Key Harbor (Marathon FL) for about 4 months now, almost every day at least one person if not 3 or 4 are on the radio complaining about the wake of somebodies inflatable dingy. It is all I can do not to get on the radio and ask them how long they have lived on a boat and tell them to never leave this harbor lest they be killed by some sort of monster wake or sea creature.

We have been in Boot Key Harbor (Marathon FL) for about 4 months now, almost every day at least one person if not 3 or 4 are on the radio complaining about the wake of somebodies inflatable dingy. It is all I can do not to get on the radio and ask them how long they have lived on a boat and tell them to never leave this harbor lest they be killed by some sort of monster wake or sea creature.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

On the ICW, I've been waked on both sides at once many times with speeding boats. Last time it was 3 on port and four on strbrd in a very narrow area entering Jupiter. Sometimes, the channel is too busy or too narrow to turn bow or stern to.

Last edited:
From my experience on Saint Lawrence Seaway and 1000 Islands, making a wake and being waked is part of the life here. Just not enough room to get away, and too many boats to avoid it. Besides, boats make waves, and boats roll and pitch ... I got used to this in my younger years while sailing.

I sure observe the "no wake" zones as they are to protect marinas, swimming areas, sensitive areas, and prevent erosion where it matters. I try to be as considerate and keep my wake as "shallow" as I can in any given circumstances ... but that can mean skimming the water while planing well trimmed at 30MPH rather than going 15-20MPH in semi displacement mode with huge bow wave and stern in the hole (see the 5th picture below).

Some pictures to illustrate this ...

Ah, nirvana ... usually after the season is over in October.
wake001.jpg

Main shipping channel somewhere between busy/touristy places in the season.
wake002.jpg

All types, bigger and smaller ...
wake003.jpg

... and really big.
wake005.jpg

This guy did me a favor when passing and slowed down ... unfortunately!
wake004.jpg

This guy did not care much about his wake or who is a stand on vessel ... :)
wake006.jpg

The best wake maker in the neighborhood ... and there is 5-6 of them operating in season.
wake007.jpg

I often meet one of GBLs here as they go back to Gananoque for their next tour. Real fun getting caught well into the narrows when GBL peeks from around the corner!
wake008.jpg

My wake at well trimmed 30MPH is really nothing compared with GBL's ... trust me ... :)
WAKE2A.JPG

Last edited:
Waves and wakes are all part of being on a boat...

One could consider using museum wax to fasten down ones sailor figurines, miniature brass anchors, lighthouse collectibles, and smallish lapdogs.

Traveling at around six knots, so far have had room to maneuver to address other boats' wakes. ... Below: FlyWright's gentle wake is between me and the go-fast boat, which passed fast approaching FlyWright's blind side, rolling it badly. Al asked if anyone caught the go-fast boat's name. None did, all trying best to maneuver/recover from the wake.

232323232%7Ffp7348%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D39495%3A4%3A92336nu0mrj

Coot wakes:

232323232%7Ffp73499%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3955%3C4%3B5%3B%3B336nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp543%3A%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3957%3A678%3C4336nu0mrj

img_222622_2_ecf6def6c902dc00febb457a9823e25a.jpg

That is pretty bad. This boat is badly trimmed, going too slow, or just too heavy for its power. The bow points something like 12 degree up ... he can hardly see what's in front of him. The stern is in the hole and the wake behind him is ugly. It's also the worst hull position for fuel economy and steering ability. He's going fast but not fast enough to be planing ... he is plowing

That's why the droop snoot on that style boat. Also, if he were sitting he couldn't see ahead at all. Standing the top of the windshield frame is across his face. It doesn't look like a fun way to run a boat.

Traveling at around six knots, so far have had room to maneuver to address other boats' wakes. ... Below: FlyWright's gentle wake is between me and the go-fast boat, which passed fast approaching FlyWright's blind side, rolling it badly. Al asked if anyone caught the go-fast boat's name. None did, all trying best to maneuver/recover from the wake.
Googan. (Referring to pic)

The other week we were waked by a sport fisher throwing a four foot wake in the ICW just west of Lake Okechobee before Indian Town. When a boat passes less than 20' off your beam even with our stabilizers activated he sent dishes to the floor. The water dynamics in a narrow channel play havoc with a fast pass against a slower boat .

The boat didn't even try and call us for a slow pass which we would have been happy to oblige him with. When we pulled into the Indian Town marina he was the next boat over on the slip and I went over to the owner and asked him why he would not call us and ask for a pass, the operator at the time just rolled his eyes but the owner was partially apologetic.

The next morning we pulled out early heading to Stuart and we had another trawler behind us, in the distance I could see the sport fisher coming up about two miles back and then I hear him get on the radio and tell the trawler behind us to hold onto your Bloody Mary's he then did the same to us at least this time they were a little slower. When we entered the next lock we were right behind the sport fisher again with our 10' bow looking over their transom this time they were at least conversational.

The best way to reduce that deal with that attitude is to call a Securite warning on 16 on full power warning other boaters in the area. This will get the attention of the offender or if his radio is off it will certainly get the attention of the CG and lock masters.

Obviously it needs to be for a bad situation not just your everyday wakings which are a part of boating.

Passing would usually be easier if the boat ahead would answer the ____ radio.

-Chris

...................... The best way to reduce that deal with that attitude is to call a Securite warning on 16 on full power warning other boaters in the area. This will get the attention of the offender or if his radio is off it will certainly get the attention of the CG and lock masters..
People getting on the VHF and complaining about wakes is so common it's pointless. And if a boater is selfish enough to wake people he doesn't care what you say on the radio. Coast Guard? Yea, right. :rolleyes:

The other week we were waked by a sport fisher throwing a four foot wake in the ICW just west of Lake Okechobee before Indian Town. When a boat passes less than 20' off your beam even with our stabilizers activated he sent dishes to the floor. The water dynamics in a narrow channel play havoc with a fast pass against a slower boat .

The boat didn't even try and call us for a slow pass which we would have been happy to oblige him with. When we pulled into the Indian Town marina he was the next boat over on the slip and I went over to the owner and asked him why he would not call us and ask for a pass, the operator at the time just rolled his eyes but the owner was partially apologetic.

The next morning we pulled out early heading to Stuart and we had another trawler behind us, in the distance I could see the sport fisher coming up about two miles back and then I hear him get on the radio and tell the trawler behind us to hold onto your Bloody Mary's he then did the same to us at least this time they were a little slower. When we entered the next lock we were right behind the sport fisher again with our 10' bow looking over their transom this time they were at least conversational.

The best way to reduce that deal with that attitude is to call a Securite warning on 16 on full power warning other boaters in the area. This will get the attention of the offender or if his radio is off it will certainly get the attention of the CG and lock masters.

Obviously it needs to be for a bad situation not just your everyday wakings which are a part of boating.

Getting waked in a narrow channel sucks. The wake bounces of the sides and creates unpredictable sequences. It is even worse when contained by seawalls like in the lower end of Worth Creek above Lake Worth. That place gets like a washing machine.

I was fishing on my Blackfin. A professional captain I knew was with me. We started to pass a boat in the canal behind Gulf Shores. I reached over and pulled back on the throttle. He looked at me incredulously, and said, "they won't appreciate it". I said, "well, it makes me feel better". He obviously didn't like it.

Just another good arguement for running offshore. Especially since "snowbird" transit season is coming up here in the SE US. Herds of boats, all at different speeds, getting lumped up together at each bridge, passing each other numerous times.

It's hard to know if the boat you are coming up on has a thin or thick skin crew when it comes to wakes. Some would rather you just "bring it on" and not worry about the wake, just get it over with. Some get cranky if their boat wiggles at all. Some scream on the radio even if you are in a wide channel and pass at 20kt, but 200yds abeam.

Just so much easier offshore.

I've grown to really like taking little cruises in the dead of winter here in NC. Good heat in the pilothouse (bus heater) and often I can go miles and miles and encounter no boats but the oystermen. They always get a sloooow pass!! Nothing like an oyster or clam coming through a window!!!

Just another good arguement for running offshore. Especially since "snowbird" transit season is coming up here in the SE US. Herds of boats, all at different speeds, getting lumped up together at each bridge, passing each other numerous times. It's hard to know if the boat you are coming up on has a thin or thick skin crew when it comes to wakes. Some would rather you just "bring it on" and not worry about the wake, just get it over with. Some get cranky if their boat wiggles at all. Some scream on the radio even if you are in a wide channel and pass at 20kt, but 200yds abeam. Just so much easier offshore. I've grown to really like taking little cruises in the dead of winter here in NC. Good heat in the pilothouse (bus heater) and often I can go miles and miles and encounter no boats but the oystermen. They always get a sloooow pass!! Nothing like an oyster or clam coming through a window!!!
:thumb::thumb::thumb: Go offshore!

Passing would usually be easier if the boat ahead would answer the ____ radio. -Chris

Just because some people don't answer the radio doesn't mean you should give up on all boaters you want to pass. Courtesy and rules of the road are there for a reason.

Just another good arguement for running offshore. Especially since "snowbird" transit season is coming up here in the SE US. Herds of boats, all at different speeds, getting lumped up together at each bridge, passing each other numerous times.

It's hard to know if the boat you are coming up on has a thin or thick skin crew when it comes to wakes. Some would rather you just "bring it on" and not worry about the wake, (experienced seaman)just get it over with. Some get cranky if their boat wiggles at all (amateurs). Some scream on the radio even if you are in a wide channel and pass at 20kt, but 200yds abeam.(beginners). :D

Just so much easier offshore. yeah I agree... but in a 6 knot boat and liking the rest of the ride between the wakes to be relatively smooth and getting to walk around new towns...some of the runs like around Cape Hatteras and some other long ones between shaky inlets for a 6 knot boat just is hard...

I've grown to really like taking little cruises in the dead of winter here in NC. Good heat in the pilothouse (bus heater) and often I can go miles and miles and encounter no boats but the oystermen. They always get a sloooow pass!! Nothing like an oyster or clam coming through a window!!!really agree!!!...we pass through in December and again in March...hardly another boat but a waterman to be seen. As I said in the Dismal Swamp thread...last December we were the only boat in the whole canal for 2 days.

In Wilmington till Sat then moving North...hope we get a few nice days to do Hatteras and Manteo rather than repeating the boring Alligator/Pungo canal!!!!

Just because some people don't answer the radio doesn't mean you should give up on all boaters you want to pass. Courtesy and rules of the road are there for a reason.

:thumb:...Sometimes not returning a call is by accident. My lower radio is old school with a detachable mike cord. Last call by a boat to pass me, I answered 3 times with no or funny responses. The fourth time I tried the mike cord fell out of the radio as it must have twisted itself out.

I felt bad and made the appropriate calls...didn't matter as the wanker actually passed me just as we cleared the Snow's Cut bridge south of Wilmington, NC but not the fender system...so I did a security broadcast about the "dangerous boater". :socool:

So yes...keep calling...if you want to get really picky according to the Navrules once you contact the other boat with an intention...you CAN'T pass without an agreement. And yes for all those that like to argue the NAVERULES with me...get beyond the "simplistic words of the rules" and follow the case law and legal explanations of them. That's why you rarely hear LEOs call for a pass or even commercial guys...because once they do...they are supposed to wait for your agreement...that may never come.

Last edited:
In Wilmington till Sat then moving North...hope we get a few nice days to do Hatteras and Manteo rather than repeating the boring Alligator/Pungo canal!!!!

Be real careful at Mason's inlet between the Wrightsville beach and Figure 8 bridge. The inlet has washed sand way past the green marker. Pass close to the docks. Folks have been piling up there since fall.

Agreed, avoiding Pungo canal is worth it.

Some scream on the radio even if you are in a wide channel and pass at 20kt, but 200yds abeam.
Must be a local (ICW?) thing. I have not heard anyone complaining about somebody else's wake on the radio in three seasons I boat on SLS. Plenty of commercial communication, tour boats lining themselves to dock, some CG calls, a lot of private calls to hail and switch channels but no "securite" calls or complains b/o somebody's silly wake.

Must be a local (ICW?) thing. I have not heard anyone complaining about somebody else's wake on the radio in three seasons I boat on SLS. Plenty of commercial communication, tour boats lining themselves to dock, some CG calls, a lot of private calls to hail and switch channels but no "securite" calls or complains b/o somebody's silly wake.

I've been hearing "hey...no wake zone" or "thanks for the wake" calls from Jersey to Florida a lot for the last 2 years and I'm travelling in the "off" season.

When I was a more active delivery captain travelling during the snow bird migration...you wanted to cry from the insane radio chatter.

50's 60's I was brought up dealing with wakes in NYC Harbor, Hell's Gate, and on South Shore of LI, NY. Inland channels on SS LI are damn slim. During summer the huge confused wakes and rewake off channel sides from hundreds of different size boats going different speeds in different directions would become crazy! We all learned to deal with the wakes, and, to just get along! :thumb:

Everything was battened down aboard every boat - or else it landed on the sole, cockpit deck, or overboard! :ermm:

I'd race up and down the channels during big traffic days in my 13' 3" Boston Whaler w/ 40 hp Johnson... seeing just how airborne I could get over some of the really BIG wakes. 60' Chris doing bout 14 knots with her ass squat down throws one hell of a wake. I loved to find one of those biggies cruising through the channel and would jump that wake back and forth till the Chris owners were shaking their fists at me! I'd be LMAO at em! :socool:

Wasn't till mid 60's that speed limit signs really began to pop up. LI Cop Patrol Boats came in at about the same time. They were big ol' white hull, dark blue and orange trim superstructure rigs with flybridge... painted up old 32' Elco woodies as I recall. Couldn't get out of their own way... by far too slow to bother me in the near 40 mph Whaler... Those Were The Days, My friend! :rofl:

Back then, with one or two school chums in the very early spring or late fall (when Gulf Stream wasn't present to warm the ocean and no swimmers populated the water) we'd turn north out of "Short Beach Inlet" white water fishing in the breakers off Jones Beach in my Whaler. Sometimes during summers when the water was warm and waves would be calm enough, with thousands swimming, we'd come in close and entice pretty gals swimming off the beach to swim out to us. Life Guards would get pissed. One must have called CG... cause... we were suddenly told by loud speaker off a helicopter to get out of there and never to return! It did get our attention... specially cause we were out cutting school! :hide: :facepalm:

Since those raucous days of boating youth I have learned much more aplomb for water ways. I drop my wake whenever it should be minimized. And, "basically" I adhere to law. That said - I still enjoy the heck out of rough water piloting in a properly equipped boat! :popcorn: :dance:

Happy Boating Daze - Art :speed boat: :D

I grew up boating on a very crowded lake where wakes were everywhere and little attention given, although the local Game Wardens did start stopping and ticketing those with wakes in the no wake zones of marinas. We got use to wakes, often from all sides. On a Sunday the lake was just a cacophony of wakes from all directions. Wakes are a fact of life. Most are annoying but not dangerous.

That's where we draw the line. We're not going to overreact to wakes that don't pose a real danger. We'll leave the policing of them to the authorities. But when we do observe blatantly dangerous boat operation putting others at risk, whatever type operation, then we will report that. Most of the time though it's far more serious than just wakes and 9 times out of 10 alcohol is involved.

If you're in a narrow channel like much of the ICW and you see an large, fast oncoming boat (or can see one coming from behind - we have rear video), here's something that will work. It always works for me - just did it on Monday with a 50'+ sportfish moving at 20+ knots behind me.

If they're coming toward you, it'll almost always be a port-to-port pass. If from behind, they'll usually pass you on your port side too. So when there is plenty of time, make a strong maneuver over to port taking the side they're coming on. This will generally wake up the guy at the helm. On Monday, the guy moved over to the other side to pass me on my starboard side. One more move back over to starboard and now the guy slows up and calls me on the radio. Once that happens, you'll get a slow pass. They'll usually be slowing way down to see for themselves what kind of nut you are. We usually wave like crazy.

If you do get caught off-guard and it's a bad wake - 4' or more - I think a high power Securite on 16 and the bridge channel (9 or 13) is a great idea. First, it warns other boaters to take precautions. Second, I've seen it hold up the offending boats at bridges for an extended amount of time - in one case, they made a guy wait 30 minutes for a half dozen boats passed by some jerk to catch up to the bridge. Bridge operators get it.

In all cases, it's not worth getting angry about it.

On the flip side, we always slow down for slower moving boats.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom