Rebuilding a 120hp Ford Lehman that seized

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MARI

Vessel Name
MARI
Vessel Make
CHEOY LEE 39LRC
Hi. I am new to the forum. My port engine seized.

I had the block and head machined and just finished re-torque of the head and injector lines as per manual. Much work to go, the boat has not been cared for properly, and I am compelled to bring her back to life. Have termites, but that will be another query for you folks.

Does anyone know if an oil cooler can be used as a tranny cooler in a 1976 Ford Lehman 120hp 2715E engine? They look very similar, and I have two new oil coolers.

So many questions, so little time!:blush:

I see no reason why it wouldn't, as long as the replacement has a similar capacity as the original. If it's to small or fittings are smaller to restrict flow it wouldn't cool the oil properly. Good luck

Same cooler but you could confirm with Bob @ American Diesel Corp @ (804) 435-3107

Hi. I am new to the forum. My port engine seized.

I had the block and head machined and just finished re-torque of the head and injector lines as per manual. Much work to go, the boat has not been cared for properly, and I am compelled to bring her back to life. Have termites, but that will be another query for you folks.

Does anyone know if an oil cooler can be used as a tranny cooler in a 1976 Ford Lehman 120hp 2715E engine? They look very similar, and I have two new oil coolers.

So many questions, so little time!:blush:

Can't help with the Ford question, but there have been several threads on termites on the forum, you can click on "search" heading towards the top of the page search posts for "termites" and you should find several threads.
I grew up near Salinas in Aguirre on Jobos Bay 1952-62 when it was a sugar plantation, a very nice place.

They are both the same. Interchangeable.
Well it took you long enough...:D

I was waiting for Jay to chime in as he posted this a short while back and while I could have done the research...I just waited...:thumb:

I have seen the same elsewhere...

In the big scheme of things...the Lehman run at it's usual low RPMs probably doesn't even need an oil cooler...and while I'm really ignorant of trannsmissions...probably the same there too so ANY tranny cooler would probably work if all the connections matched.....

Second that about the engine oil cooler. When running light load, I've shot Lehmans at oil temp of around 150F, which is way too cool. Moisture does not cook out at that temp. If I owned one, I would be tempted to take the oil cooler out and install an oil temp gauge and/or alarm. Best oil temp is around 200F-ish, and most brands do this using coolant vs sea water. Coolant based oil coolers keep oil temp in a tighter band.

Not much heat gets into oil until you are up at a high power setting.

I like the old Detroit system where both engine and gear oil were cooled with coolant.

Ski you got me thinking now. Esp since the oil cooler is no 1 on the flow path getting the coldest water.
I am going to "shoot" mine this spring/summer and see what I get.

The part is listed as "Cooler, oil & trans" on the ADC Lehman parts list.

I remember several years back posting that removal of the oil cooler may be quite beneficial for the wide spread (on TF) underloading practice.

The oil cooler is of course there to help keep the oil from getting TOO hot but there may be only one or two here that would get their oil too hot. Everyone else should benefit from it's removal.

It can be tested pretty easily, just leave the oil cooler in place and jump the two oil hoses together with a suitable hyd coupler. Cap the cooler ports to keep gunk out/oil in. Check oil temp at skin of filter with IR gun.

Dear folks, finally have the engine running! After 5 years. Thank you for your input.

Great news about the resurrection! Fantastic project, I'd love to rebuild one, I just don't want to pay for it!

Just a reminder that cylinder number 6 sometimes gets inadequate cooling because the engine is not horizontally mounted and can overheat. Make sure you are well bled.

You guys slay me, my Cummins is keel-cooled and the oil and transmission coolers are coolant cooled. I tried to suggest in another thread that coolant cooling would stop the carnage in water-cooled engines in having to replace expensive heat exchangers regularly and messing about with zincs every few months and I was soundly spanked!

I suppose it took a while for the earth to be accepted as round too...

I have a Lehman oil cooler in excellent used condition, no corrosion, copper, make an offer. It was my spare from my GB.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom