Portland to Gulf Coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dunno Larry. If the MV has active stabilizers, twins and a "square" transom immersed a few inches in the water that could be a pretty steep learning curve.

Lol. Oh no. It's not that fancy.

But the PNW is very busy, lots of logs and fog, pirates and crowded with the water temps barely above freezing, so on second thought ------------ stay on the Gulf Coast where life is much better and one can enjoy a bow rider. ;)

Pirates in the PNW? huh?

This just in! :lol:

Attachments

• image-766217204.jpg
    image-766217204.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 142
But the PNW is very busy, lots of logs and fog, pirates and crowded with the water temps barely above freezing, so on second thought ------------ stay on the Gulf Coast where life is much better and one can enjoy a bow rider. ;)

What? No swimming and water just above freezing? Really? I guess I should have known that before I jumped in the warm waters in bays of desolution sound...

Attachments

• desolation-sound-prideaux-haven02-682x1024.jpg
    desolation-sound-prideaux-haven02-682x1024.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 77
What? No swimming and water just above freezing? Really? I guess I should have known that before I jumped in the warm waters in bays of desolution sound...

Wifey B: Yes, you should have...bad bad bad.....hehe

Now seriously, what you might consider warm, might not be something those of us from more tropical climates might consider warm. I'm very much looking forward to Alaska this summer, but doubt seriously that I'm going to be jumping into the water. Or, if I do, doubt I'll stay more than a few seconds.

Although now that I'm suddenly informed of pirates, maybe I will need to jump in. I know that will make me safe because, a little known fact, pirates are very scared of the cold, especially cold water. It dates back to a story that predates even Blackbeard where pirates went after a ship and in boarding it, tipped it over so they all fell into the water. They froze in place as the boat righted itself and those aboard the boat pulled off. They were unable to move and slowly sank, never to be seen again. So, saying, just in case of pirates, I'll be diving in.

Shhh, SeaDuction. The Vancouver based Somali immigrants to the PNW pirates captured this lady after she dared show skin. That is after the ice bergs left Desolation Sound in August. I forgot to mention there are no fuel stops beyond Seattle and food for replenishing cannot be found north of Spy's Powell River location.

Where is Marin when he is needed to speak to the unbelievable horrors of the PNW?

Shhh, SeaDuction. The Vancouver based Somali immigrants to the PNW pirates captured this lady after she dared show skin. That is after the ice bergs left Desolation Sound in August. I forgot to mention there are no fuel stops beyond Seattle and food for replenishing cannot be found north of Spy's Powell River location.

Where is Marin when he is needed to speak to the unbelievable horrors of the PNW?

Good try. We had people murdering tourists on the Interstate, and that didn't even stop them coming along with the urban sprawl in their wake. Sewage spills, unbearable traffic, rapist turtles, alligators snatching joggers off of sidewalks, and giant snakes eating pets- all unfortunarely just attracted a tougher crowd.
Although I heard rumors of seals and walruses having strapped on IEDs up there, along with a gazillion cruise ships dumping fat sweaty tourists along with their sewage into quaint little towns. That help?:D

Last edited:
Good try. We had people murdering tourists on the Interstate, and that didn't even stop them coming along with the urban sprawl in their wake. Sewage spills, unbearable traffic, rapist turtles, alligators snatching joggers off of sidewalks, and giant snakes eating pets- all unfortunarely just attracted a tougher crowd.
Although I heard rumors of seals and walruses having strapped on IEDs up there, along with a gazillion cruise ships dumping fat sweaty tourists along with their sewage into quaint little towns. That help?:D

:lol::eek::thumb:

So let's say I found an interesting, very capable blue water boat in Portland that's a real steal, but I need to get it to the Gulf Coast.

How much does that cost me to have it professionally delivered, and what kind of time frame are we talking about ?

Or, is this something I could conceive of doing myself if I get some qualified help, say maybe over the summer? I have only a little open water experience. Anyone wanna sign up for this trip? :) Looking for ideas...

I'd truck it from Portland across the northern tier states and either drop it in the Mississippi...probably at Minneapolis, or launch it at the port of your choice on either Lake Superior or Lake Michigan. Then take it south on her own bottom....either down the Mississippi or via the East Coast. Arguably the most cost effective/most fun combination/tradeoff. There's a very competent boat transport company in Menominee, Michigan that would likely find a return load from the PNW to their home base very appealing. (no affiliation)

Last edited:
So let's say I found an interesting, very capable blue water boat in Portland that's a real steal, but I need to get it to the Gulf Coast.

How much does that cost me to have it professionally delivered, and what kind of time frame are we talking about ?

Or, is this something I could conceive of doing myself if I get some qualified help, say maybe over the summer? I have only a little open water experience. Anyone wanna sign up for this trip? :) Looking for ideas...

If this was Portland main, you could move it yourself. Portland Oregon, unless it can be shipped by truck, I seriously doubt you could save enough money buying the boat to pay for transporting it.

Shop locally, you'll do better.

Yeah, I finally woke up and came to my senses. It was a cheaper $85k boat, and that's just too far away.

I had the same issues when I was looking for a new ASD. The east coast had lots of nice boats, but I finally found one in Oakley CA. Be patient and the right boat will present itself. We you and the admiral look at a boat and both of you look at each other and say "WOW" then you have found the right boat.

I had the same issues when I was looking for a new ASD. The east coast had lots of nice boats, but I finally found one in Oakley CA. Be patient and the right boat will present itself. We you and the admiral look at a boat and both of you look at each other and say "WOW" then you have found the right boat.

Yes, I hear you-- patience
Grasshopper. Seems like I've been looking forever however...

Back
Top Bottom