Before and after shots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fotoman

Guru
Thought it could be interesting to start a thread on before and after shots.

Here are some of my bilge.

Attachments

• pb142649.jpg
    pb142649.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 90
  • p5283238.jpg
    p5283238.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 90
  • pb142651.jpg
    pb142651.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 92
  • p5303272.jpg
    p5303272.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 93
  • pb142653.jpg
    pb142653.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 70
  • p5293244.jpg
    p5293244.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 90
Nice Job!!!

You have to wonder how the PO let the ER get to that state in the first place

Nice job it will make maintenance a lot easier in a clean ER

What are you using for the paint??

Allan

Nice job. What are your plans for replacing/covering all the acoustical tile? My boat has the same stuff and it looks pretty much the same....nasty.

I'd also like to know what paint you're using.

Did you use anything specific to clean the bildge prior to painting.

I have had great luck with T.S.P. Trisodium phosphate.
SD

Thanks for the comments. I used a cover stain primer (a suggestion from Marin if I remember correctly). Simple to apply and very cheap (less than $20 a gallon at Lowes). It will stick on pretty much any surface without sanding and it dries pretty fast.

Nothing special to clean. Just water, bleach, Comet, pine cleaner and a lot of elbow grease.

The PO was about 70 years old. I'm guessing he didn't feel like doing hard core yoga to clean the bilge. I'm 40 and in great shape and that was one of the hardest job I ever had to do on a boat.

I'm not sure what to do about the tiles just yet. I saw some similar ones at the hardware store.

-- Edited by Fotoman on Tuesday 1st of June 2010 11:50:17 AM

Fotoman wrote:

Thanks for the comments. I used a cover stain primer (a suggestion from Marin if I remember correctly). Simple to apply and very cheap (less than $20 a gallon at Lowes). It will stick on pretty much any surface without sanding and it dries pretty fast.

Nothing special to clean. Just water, bleach, Comet, pine cleaner and a lot of elbow grease.

The PO was about 70 years old. I'm guessing he didn't feel like doing hard core yoga to clean the bilge. I'm 40 and in great shape and that was one of the hardest job I ever had to do on a boat.

I'm not sure what to do about the tiles just yet. I saw some similar ones at the hardware store.

No offense Fotoman, but curse you....!* I had satisfactorially reconciled myself to the fact that there was nothing to be gained by cleaning off 35 yrs of crap in the bilge and engine room, as long as I kept it clear of loose debris, tidy and uncluttered, as it would not make it work one jot or tittle better if I did do it up (like you have), and no-one but me, (and perhaps a prospective owner),*would ever see it.* Now.......NOW........NOW........... I'M STILL NOGONNA, but I will be left feeling less good about it....damn it......*

Peter B wrote:

Fotoman wrote:

No offense Fotoman, but curse you....!* I had satisfactorially reconciled myself to the fact that there was nothing to be gained by cleaning off 35 yrs of crap in the bilge and engine room, as long as I kept it clear of loose debris, tidy and uncluttered, as it would not make it work one jot or tittle better if I did do it up (like you have), and no-one but me, (and perhaps a prospective owner),*would ever see it.* Now.......NOW........NOW........... I'M STILL NOGONNA, but I will be left feeling less good about it....damn it......*

But you would be feeling so much better afterwards.
aww.gif

Here are a few more. I've started to rearrange the wiring and the electrical system.

Sorry Peter, don't mean to rub it in.

Attachments

• pb142652.jpg
    pb142652.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 97
  • p5303271.jpg
    p5303271.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 113
What is wrong with this picture? Your batteries are too small for the box. In a seaway, they will move around. This movement won't do anything right away, but the constant flexing of the cables will eventually cause metal fatigue and breakage. This may cause a spark, just when the batteries have burped some gas, and you know that isn't good.
Put some wooden spacers in the box, to take up all of that slack space.

Fotoman wrote:"But you would be feeling so much better afterwards.
aww.gif
"
"Here are a few more. I've started to rearrange the wiring and the electrical system.
Sorry Peter, don't mean to rub it in."
That's right Fotoman, twist the knife. And I wouldn't feel better, as you admitted, ["I'm 40 and in great shape and that was one of the hardest job I ever had to do on a boat"]* I'm nearer 70 than 40, (unfortunately), so I'd feel sore, very sore.* And I'm sicka feelin' sore.* 'sides, I got to paint the whole superstructure this winter, and that's enough.* And, oh yeah Koliver is right about those batts and their box, you need to pack them in and put a strap over them as well, preferably.* I did.* Heh heh.

koliver wrote:

What is wrong with this picture? Your batteries are too small for the box. In a seaway, they will move around. This movement won't do anything right away, but the constant flexing of the cables will eventually cause metal fatigue and breakage. This may cause a spark, just when the batteries have burped some gas, and you know that isn't good.
Put some wooden spacers in the box, to take up all of that slack space.
At my last survey, that noted on mine, so I put some slabs of packaging foam that was pretty hard in there to prevent that, since my battery boxes were very large.

Yes, good point about the batteries. I told myself the same thing when I installed them. I will secure them further with some 2x4 along the sides. Once completed the installation will look much better than that (and will be safer). I will install some fuses directly on the positive post then run a wire from the fuse post to a stud terminal and all positive wires will connect on this terminal. I will also do the same for the negative (less the fuse).

Back
Top Bottom