Old 03-18-2014, 10:41 PM   #9
Insequent
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
Meridian 459? Not a pretty boat, but certainly has lots of room packed into 45', and has big sliding door from the cockpit into the aft cabin, and hence forward into the salon. OR just 3 steps up to the sundeck. Makes boarding from a tender with groceries, pets etc., quite easy. They've been quite popular for a reason. Before you go doubting their seakeeping abilities, just know one ran on it's bottom from Sydney to Tasmania. Have you seen the Bass Strait? I wouldn't even take the high speed ferry cat across it.
Nah, its not that bad. Sure, sometimes at breakfast you have to hold your plate of eggs and bacon to stop it sliding off the table. That's manageable. And on those days the breakfast queue is nice and short.

Grand Banks Classic's have pretty good compromise with aft cabin (usually not full width), a small cockpit and various access options. The 42 is a very popular boat for some good reasons.

My OA Mk1 has cockpit-salon-galley on one level and it is nice to have that in a climate where you can leave the rear doors wide open most of the time. I have steps down to sleeping areas, up to pilothouse and internal steps up to flybridge. And I like the steps as well. This is the 'use it or lose it' thinking - keep yourself in shape by routine exercise. I also have a ladder form the cockpit up to the flybridge. Not so keen on ladders, steps are far better.