Installing screw-in canvas snaps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bustlebomb

Vessel Name
Snooker (for now.....)
Vessel Make
1981 34 Californian LRC
The previous owner had taken off all of the screw-in snaps (the snaps attached to the boat, not the ones on the canvas) for my window coverings, eisenglass enclosure, and rail coverings in preparation for varnish/paint work. Now it's up to me to put the snaps back on.

I don't know if it was temporary or permanent in his mind, but it looks like he filled the holes with 5200 or some other solid caulking. I'm planning to put the snaps back in the same locations as the canvas is still on the boat and, for the most part, is in good shape.

My question - what should I use to seal the screws when I install them? I know to stay away from silicone but that's about it. I've heard others mention butyl tape but I don't think it would work very well as the turning of the screw would just push the sealant out. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

The usual ... 3M 4200, or even better for outside 3M 4000 UV (fast cure and UV protected against discoloration). The 3M 5200 is "permanent", meaning hard, so you might have some trouble finding where exactly the existing holes are.

Butyl tape would work, but it would be hard to work with at that scale. TBH- I doubt it's really designed for that application. snap heads are pretty small. No, 4000, 4200, Dolplinite, or Sik-A-Flex is your best bet. Just not 5200...

Truth-be-told, I used marine silicon on ours, but I don't have the white-hot hatred for that stuff that some people do here. It was easy and cheap. (flame suit on)

The only problem with silicon is, you can hardly clean it when trying to redo/repair the PO's f#%& ups ... and fresh silicon does not adhere to cured silicon or to the film it leaves behind.

In my view, you just lowered the value of your boat ... sorry!

Last edited:
Haha. that's it. i am putting an offer of $2000 on Skinny Dippin' based on this info.

I use 4200 for that sort of stuff. May want to chase the old glue out with a small drill bit, small enough to not drill out the threads made by the previous screws.

If 5200 already is filling the holes, then I would just the screw through the existing 5200.

The usual ... 3M 4200, or even better for outside 3M 4000 UV (fast cure and UV protected against discoloration). The 3M 5200 is "permanent", meaning hard, so you might have some trouble finding where exactly the existing holes are.

No problems finding where the old holes are...the fiberglass is a bit of an off-white color while the 5200 used is bright white. Makes the holes stand out almost like a template.

Thanks all for the input.

Regardless of the material (dolfinite or 4200, etc...) do I just put a dab on the hole and then screw it in or do I butter up the threads?

Butter up threads, screw in, wipe up excess.

Thanks Ski!

Greetings,
Mr. B. I've found that with Dolphinite, unlike any other bedding material, it is to your advantage to leave the excess for a day or two. It stiffens up a bit and doesn't smear as much. Then a quick wipe with a solvent dampened rag and you're good to go.

Perfect RT, many thanks! What do you use for a solvent? Acetone? Paint thinner?

Greetings,
Mr. B. IF you're going to go with D', butter-up the threads as Mr. S mentioned, screw in snap and leave alone for a time. Later, carefully scrape any excess off with a non marring utensil (plastic blade, sliver of wood etc.) wipe over the remaining film with a rag dampened with paint thinner/kerosene, heck even diesel fuel. The idea here is to not flood the snap/fitting with solvent, just remove the remaining film of D'. I would caution against acetone or lacquer thinner which might damage the surrounding finish. Don't leave the rags with solvent sitting around. Spontaneous combustion could cause a fire.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom