Nordic Tug Surveyor needed in SF bay area!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom,
You answered my next question before I got to ask it. The boat has been sitting for a couple of years. There are about 250 gallons aboard. Im sure the tanks could use a good scrubbing. I am not sure if the NT's have inspections plates though. If not, maybe they can get the fuel swirling around in the tanks enough to displace any sediment. I am not sure. Regardless, I'll give them a call after the survey and get that fuel cleaned. I bet I can get a camera down the fill tube to at least look in there and see what they look like.

Stacey gave the main and the genny a thumbs up with a minor punch list. I'm not sure what else he looked at as I am awaiting his report. He really hit it off with the seller, which I'm makes me a little nervous, but hopefully he still did his job diligently. Wednesday is the real survey and the haul-out with Mr. Parker. I'll be headed up there for that one although Mr. Parker warned me to leave him alone during the survey. I'll save all my questions for last I suppose.

This boat has a hydraulic stern thruster. Early on, we found one of the lines burst in the transom. Luckily the mess was easily contained. Stacy said we could repair the hydraulic line, but my instinct tells me that they both need to be replaced back to the three way in the engine room.

Last edited:
Tom,
You answered my next question before I got to ask it. The boat has been sitting for a couple of years. There are about 250 gallons aboard. Im sure the tanks could use a good scrubbing. I am not sure if the NT's have inspections plates though. If not, maybe they can get the fuel swirling around in the tanks enough to displace any sediment. I am not sure. Regardless, I'll give them a call after the survey and get that fuel cleaned. I bet I can get a camera down the fill tube to at least look in there and see what they look like.

Stacey gave the main and the genny a thumbs up with a minor punch list. I'm not sure what else he looked at as I am awaiting his report. He really hit it off with the seller, which I'm makes me a little nervous, but hopefully he still did his job diligently. Wednesday is the real survey and the haul-out with Mr. Parker. I'll be headed up there for that one although Mr. Parker warned me to leave him alone during the survey. I'll save all my questions for last I suppose.

This boat has a hydraulic stern thruster. Early on, we found one of the lines burst in the transom. Luckily the mess was easily contained. Stacy said we could repair the hydraulic line, but my instinct tells me that they both need to be replaced back to the three way in the engine room.

I do not know Mr. Parker, therefore I cannot comment on his survey aptitude/quality. And, he may be very good at his trade... or not??

That said: IMO, there is no surveyor I would ever use for any reason; boat survey, house survey, auto survey or other ... That I would use if I could not be on site asking questions during survey. And, to be “warned” to leave him alone before hand would mean he would not be completing task on my potentially soon to be purchased property.

That’s my way! YRMV – Good Luck!

Last edited:
I do not know Mr. Parker, therefore I cannot comment on his survey aptitude/quality. And, he may be very good at his trade... or not??

That said: IMO, there is no surveyor I would ever use for any reason; boat survey, house survey, auto survey or other ... That I would use if I could not be on site asking questions during survey. And, to be “warned” to leave him alone before hand would mean he would not be completing task on my potentially soon to be purchased property.

That’s my way! YRMV – Good Luck!

The surveyor of our last boat (an NT as well) also requested that he (they actually, as there were two) be left alone during the survey. But that did not mean that he didn't want me around, just not shadowing him throughout the process. At appropriate intervals throughout the survey he took me aside and pointed out various good or not so good items he had found. It worked well I thought.

I totally agree, Art. I was taken aback when I read that the surveyor "warned" to leave him alone during the survey.

Maybe he has his reasons....did he tell you why you should leave him alone during the survey? Are you allowed to be present? Can you observe his work? Can you ask questions when it's done?

Sorry to be the doubting Thomas here, and I could very well be wrong...but I don't like the smell of this.

If he gives you plenty of time after the inspection to explain and show everything he found, then I don't see a big problem. This is what Schmidt did with me.

If he doesn't want to be bothered after the inspection either, and wants to give you a report on a piece of paper only - big problem.

Make sure what he's willing to do this first and foremost.

Yo, Bligh - This "Mr." Parker first name of Jon... he have very squeaky voice?

Just wondering!

Tom,

No worries with Stacey, he has got you covered and has been working with marine engines for many many years. If you have Brandon as your surveyor, he really get intense on the inspection. Some brokers don't like him because he does his job for the buyer (his boss), not the seller. I asked a few questions while he was there and he then talked to me afterwards.

If you do not have inspection plates (like I did) get CSS to put them in. The tanks will get a visual inspection, but the inspection ports make it much better in getting into the hard to reach areas of the tank to get the sediment. Of course you can't get 100%, but they can get 98% of it. I had all this done before heading under the Gate as I did not want plugged filters in the open ocean.

Soooo.....how did it go?

Soooo.....how did it go?

Thanks for asking. I am digesting the surveys now. Nothing major. Actually everything major is in pretty good shape. Here is a brief summary of the items that need attention;

Engine room
Engine checked out well- needs regular maint. oil change, new hoses and belts, but thats it.
Genny checked out fine. needs oil change, needs new impeller.
Engine room need new raw water hose
Boat needs all new batteries; house, genny, main, bow thruster.
New hydraulic hoses needed for stern thruster from swimstep to solenoid valve.

Pilothouse
Needs new VHF antenna
Needs new mast. (missing?)- not on survey , just me
Needs existing radar installed on new mast. -not on survey,just me

Bottom:
Needs new zincs and new paint

Lazarett - ok

Head: ok

Main salon.
LP tank needs recertification

Deck cockpit drains need to be rebedded.

Hull. sound. no signs of damage. tap tested fine. paint faded.

Structure fine.

No leaks anywhere. Engine room clean.

interior clean.

no surprises.

Needs stuff updated like flares, pump out signs , etc. Normal stuff I suppose.

Some exterior wiring or solar panels and satellite dish (not sure of name) needs to be cleaned up.

The owner has offered to split the cost of the batteries (and me install them). I think he should pay for all of them, but Im not going to let $600 stop the deal at this point.

The boat is sound. I'm going for it.

:dance:

Last edited:
Thanks for asking. I am digesting the surveys now. Nothing major. Actually everything major is in pretty good shape.

The boat is sound. I'm going for it.

:dance:

Bligh - Sea Trial??

BTW all of you who posted negatively about the surveyor and how i should be able to folow him around and pester him and look over his shoulder- Eat crow. The surveyor was top notch. I met him, shook his hand and let him go to work. He crawled over, under, inside , outside, and everywhere through that boat for 8 hours . He stopped several times to chat about a few things here and there. He let me ask questions at this time. He quickly knew where I needed education and where I didnt. He elaborated on areas I was not strong on. I let him do his work without bothering him. He performed. The survey was spectacular and extremely detailed. The guy knew what he was doing, he did it well , and he did a better job of it than he would have if he had to nanny a prospective owner around through the boat asking dumb questions.

Most of the time, you guys in the forum get it right but other times... not so much.

I would use him again in a heartbeat. The guy is a walking marine encyclopedia.

Bligh - Sea Trial??

We ran the boat for about 45 minutes at different RPM. It performed as expected. Its a nice boat. I did forgot to test the autopilot- oops. The boat is on the hard now waiting for the funds to transfer.

Congrats Bligh? Sounds like you got a good one.

Thanks Jukesy, she's a good one. She's just been lacking use and maintenance over the last couple of years. I'll be busy fixing her up this season. Mostly little stuff so we can still leave the dock though!

Good on ya bligh, to have found your boat! I don't mind eating crow when stating caution; when things turn out other then what I cautioned about. I'd still say the same items from what you previously revealed about the surveyor. Pleased he turned out well for you.

BTW all of you who posted negatively about the surveyor and how i should be able to folow him around and pester him and look over his shoulder- Eat crow. The surveyor was top notch. I met him, shook his hand and let him go to work. He crawled over, under, inside , outside, and everywhere through that boat for 8 hours . He stopped several times to chat about a few things here and there. He let me ask questions at this time. He quickly knew where I needed education and where I didnt. He elaborated on areas I was not strong on. I let him do his work without bothering him. He performed. The survey was spectacular and extremely detailed. The guy knew what he was doing, he did it well , and he did a better job of it than he would have if he had to nanny a prospective owner around through the boat asking dumb questions.

Most of the time, you guys in the forum get it right but other times... not so much.

I would use him again in a heartbeat. The guy is a walking marine encyclopedia.

And a plug for the surveyor? Who?

And a plug for the surveyor? Who?

Kent Parker
[FONT=&quot]P[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ARKER [/FONT][FONT=&quot]M[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ARINE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]C[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ONSULTANTS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]P. O. Box 6648[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Napa, Ca. 94581[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot](707) 252-9383 office[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](415) 305-5312 cell[/FONT]

Last edited:
Kent Parker
[FONT=&quot]P[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ARKER [/FONT][FONT=&quot]M[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ARINE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]C[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ONSULTANTS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]P. O. Box 6648[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Napa, Ca. 94581[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot](707) 252-9383 office[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](415) 305-5312 cell[/FONT]

What's his cost per boat foot; or maybe another way he charges? Next time I haul out I plan to get survey.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom