What finish over epoxy plugs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith

Guru
Vessel Name
Anastasia III
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
I'm going to remove my dinghy cradle from the upper deck, and will plug the holes with epoxy. What should I use to paint over them so they look at least acceptable and the sun won't ruin the epoxy over time? This should be something I can do myself.

What is the surrounding deck area coated with.
I would use 2 pack (epoxy) high build undercoat and then finnish with the desired top coat for colour compatability. Be it 2 pack or plain enamel.

Benn

Drilled right into my non-skid. Color is somewhat off-white. It doesn't have to be perfect or pretty, but durable enough to protect the epoxy. It's constantly in the sun.

Haha! There are all kinds of chemists, and I'm not a paint one. Polymers, adhesives, UV stabilizers, zeolites, petroleum... but no paints. So Rustoleum will stand up to years in the sun and stick to both gelcoat and epoxy? That sounds like the best idea so far. I might have some leftover polyurethane paint I used years ago, but no idea if it's stable at warm/hot temps for 10 years in the can.

Keith, 10 year old pain is likely not good.

I had a 10 year old pain once, but on his birthday he turned into an 11 year old pain.
aww.gif

Kieth,
Gell coat is matched all the time. Scratches and the like.*I'm thinking paint will always look painted.
*kits are available with a little effort you can match the color pretty close.**
SD

Keith wrote:

Drilled right into my non-skid. Color is somewhat off-white. It doesn't have to be perfect or pretty, but durable enough to protect the epoxy. It's constantly in the sun.
How about white Flowcoat?* I found it sets smooth, stays nice and white and is a finish as well as a filler all in one, and being a polyester, it is ok in the sun - sort of like easy to use gelcoat, but no undercoat needed either.

Never heard of that. With a little searching, I discovered that Valspar makes it, but haven't yet found a US source. Most of the links are in Australia, New Zealand, and others. Bound to be around here somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom