View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlowery View Post
I have been observing the forum for some time and know that there are many wise and knowledgeable skippers out there monitoring the site. After crunching the numbers, it looks like we will be ready to pull the trigger on a live-aboard trawler in about 8-12 months. But which boat do we go after? We will be looking for an economical sundeck with great bones between 36 and 44 ft with a galley up and something besides a vertical ladder as a means of entry from the dingy. Price range is between $90,000 and $150,000.

I am still working so unfortunately we will be spending a good bit of time tied to the dock. I do not want to cross any oceans but would like to have a boat capable of island hopping in the Caribbean. I have been following Gulfstar, Nova, Heritage East, Marine Trader, Present, and a couple of others. I have ruled out Carver because of David Pascoe's review and Mainship due to the lack of storage space.

Please give me your suggestions.

Thanks!
As someone who has purchased other boats but not our trawler type yet, a few words of advice.

Do not rule anything in or out because of one person's review. There are many very happy Carver owners. You'll hear criticisms of Sea Ray, yet the most sold brand.

Continue to look and while you do define what you like and don't. What the absolute requirements are.

Look on Yacht World, not to find the boat (that comes later) but to see all the brands that fit your description and then learn more about those by talking to people, visiting their web sites, looking at reviews, and observing boats.

One thing I've found is that in doing the above you first end up with a long list. But then, one by one you eliminate. Just as you had a problem with the Mainship storage, you'll have issues with others. Speed? Fuel consumption? Price? Galley? Staterooms? Engine room? Single or double helms? Single or twin engines?

There are a lot of excellent potential boats to add to your list. Just a few are Grand Banks, Kadey Krogen, Sea Ray, Defever, Cruisers, Princess, Symbol, Island Gypsy, Tollycraft, Albin, Hatteras, Ocean Alexander, Californian. And that is just a start.

Also be careful on initial price as it will require upgrades and repairs and then ongoing maintenance, dockage and operating costs. On the other hand as a live aboard you'll save on other costs.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote