galley-up or galley-down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This issue is an old chestnut, discussed many times. I suspect the real answer re galley up or down is…"wherever it is on the boat you fall in love with, and which chooses you." Then you make it work, because there are pros and cons for both about equally...

Someone commented on marinas telling you the places to eat and just the issue of whether you use the galley or not. I think it may be a lot like home for some but vary for others. For us, on days we move, we always use it for breakfast and lunch. When we're in port, about 50/50 for those meals. For dinner, I'd guess we cook on average 5 nights a week. So overall I'm guessing 15 meals and lots of snacks prepared on the boat.

Galley down...cooking is only a small part of the day for this liveaboard and galley operators (unless you eat all day)...the rest of the time it looks like a kitchen in your living room and takes valuable space away form the living room.

Actually as others have mentioned, galley needs to be where socializing is going on, the dinner table is within arms reach, short walk to the veranda, and windows on 3 sides. Besides, how far do you want to walk to get a beer out of the fridge..

Both are valid , some cooks hate a mob watching , the socializing just adds to the mess and confusion.
Unwashed dishes /pots pans can be stacked below and the cooks can join the after food fun with out living in a big mess of unwashed.

For a neat couple UP works fine , for the folks that prefer a mob aboard down is easier to live with.

I think I could understand the logic of galley up -- and aft near the cockpit. Seeing lots of those in the new boat magazines...

Anyway, perhaps useful to point out the galley and the dinette can be located separately. Our current galley is down, dinette is up. It's reasonably easy to hand (or carry) food up the two steps, so it's not really an impediment... and it's so close to the rest of the saloon that the chef can choose to be part of the social group, or instead can choose to tune out and concentrate on food prep.

The way ours is designed also allowed more/better cabinetry, i.e., on both sides of the "aisle" down there, because it could build into the interior bulkhead that separates galley from dinette (up) and second berth (down). I thought that a nice design touch.

Anyway, I think it's not a black or white question... since the answer somewhat depends on the overall boat design, the way individual owners want to use the boat, and so forth.

-Chris

My wife spends a big part of the day cooking. She likes cooking. We eat most meals aboard when cruising. She likes to see out when shes cooking under way or at anchor. She prefers galley up so she can be apart of the cruising and still cook.

Another vote for UP

We eat most of our meals aboard also, but still prefer galley down. Also sometimes its nice to be together in a small galley if you know what I mean:dance:
Another point is I don't care for sitting at a table all the time. I like relaxing in a real sofa. Just our preference.

We hail from the fattest state in the union so you know what my answer is. We like to eat and eat all day.:thumb::thumb:
Besides you would have to be 4' tall if the galley was down.

Greetings,
Mr. sbg. Now, single or twins?

beats_me_dexter.gif

Greetings,

Twin, I think.

I must say that the galley up/down discussion was interesting, and everyone seemed to have good reasons for their opinions. It appears that social interaction, or the lack there-of, is a big factor in galley location. I suspect I will lean more toward the psneeld line of reasoning, but I love the variety in boats and boaters.

Twin, I think.

I must say that the galley up/down discussion was interesting, and everyone seemed to have good reasons for their opinions. It appears that social interaction, or the lack there-of, is a big factor in galley location. I suspect I will lean more toward the psneeld line of reasoning, but I love the variety in boats and boaters.

I dont get the social interaction rational. Its a boat, even in a down galley you are only 4-6 feet from people in the salon. Heck that almost falls in the "personal space" rule area.:rolleyes:

My wife just mentioned that she can keep ane eye on our kids better with galley up.

My wife is a chef quality cook. When we're home and entertaining, everyone is in the kitchen or the family room that's open to the kitchen. She also likes a lot of light in the kitchen. So, when looking at bigger boats, I was so sure that she would want a galley up that I didn't even show her boats with the galley down.

Our boat has the galley down and she loves it. When I asked her why, she says that she can still be in the middle of things but also concentrate on her cooking. When the meal is over, she can leave the mess in the galley area and join the party without having to do any clean-up. She's then done and the clean-up becomes someone else's project. The galley has enough room for two people work together. One of my favorite times on the boat is when my son-in-law (also a great cook) and my wife are cooking together in the galley, but still interacting with the rest of us across the counter that separates the galley and the salon.
Lyle

Greetings,

beats_me_dexter.gif

OMG RT - I wouldn't let "Dexter" near our Galley With KNIVES!! :eek: :hide:

BTW: Funny how mojo happens... haven't seen a mention or pict of Dex the "Bay Harbor Butcher" anywhere off screen till this moment... we just watched final/closing Dexter episode last eve; been following that extremely well scripted series for a few years. :thumb:

Last edited:
Up or Down - Experienced Both

After owning both trawlers with both arrangements I can honestly confirm.......... it depends! I know what your thinking, that doesn't help but it really does depend on the boat and planned usage. If you are planning long offshore cruises on a trawler with a pilothouse then likely you will be spending most of your time up there away from the galley so you are disconnected for long periods (Example:N40). Recognizing that while most pilothouse design boats will have the galley adjacent to the salon area you are still separated from the "action" but it works. Once you are at anchor you will be able to enjoy the benefits of the galley and salon socializing. Using this analogy one can argue the galley down works the same way with added benefits. A galley down offers a little less movement since you are lower in the boat and if the galley is open to the salon as with some express style designs you can still see and talk with those in the salon and captain driving the boat (Example:N35). Sailboats are good example of galley (and most everything else) down and they have worked well longer than powerboats.

So possibly the answer really is "it depends" ??

John
N3522
La Tempestad

We have a galley up and like it, but it does require compromises.

When I work on the boat, I have tools and parts everywhere...especially the galley! If the salon hatches are open, the galley is unusable. Most every surface in the galley serves a double purpose...stovetop/counter, countertop/bait station. To convert from daytime use to functioning kitchen sometimes takes some rearranging of our daytime stuff.

I normally drive from the lower helm and like having the galley easily accessible during a cruise. Coffee, food, beverages...you name it, it's all at my fingertips just a few steps away from the autopilot controls. Since I frequently operate solo, it's a great benefit. Also, with our twin aft doors wide open, the galley and the cockpit become nearly one. It's easy to carry on a conversation with folks in the salon/galley while grilling in the cockpit.

One thing we dislike about sailboats is the feeling that we have to descend into the cave to enjoy the 'indoors'. In some ways, a galley down feels that way to us with its limited visibility and often less natural-lighted portion of the vessel. Our boat allows great viewing and light from the salon/galley. Also, on our short 34 ft model, the lower galley comes at the expense of the second stateroom, a compromise we would not accept.

Here's the answer to the up or down galley question - satisfies both preferences... it's a midway galley... the chef (who doubles as bartender) is in the group's salon conversation; there's plenty of window light; the refrigerator is within arm's reach; the helm (Captain) also is within arm's reach; and the clean up guy (that's me) is in the mix when it's his turn in the multifunction galley.. Someone (RTF?) might say this is a confused galley - not sure if it's up or down, but it works for this crew...:blush:

Attachments

• Galley Gone Coastal.jpg
    Galley Gone Coastal.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 105
Greetings,
Mr. E. Confused? Not at all. As has been said by several members " it works for this crew". Chef/bartender....AND cute!

Here's the answer to the up or down galley question - satisfies both preferences... it's a midway galley... the chef (who doubles as bartender) is in the group's salon conversation; there's plenty of window light; the refrigerator is within arm's reach; the helm (Captain) also is within arm's reach; and the clean up guy (that's me) is in the mix when it's his turn in the multifunction galley.. Someone (RTF?) might say this is a confused galley - not sure if it's up or down, but it works for this crew...:blush:

To me it's typical of the "down galley"...as it is on on my boat, my last boat...and many other's I've been on...that's why I ignore much of the up/ down stuff and know what works for me...this is a classic "picture worth a thousand words"...like your galley, mine is neither dark, nor cramped for 1 cook, or out of the action, etc...etc...etc...in fact when cooking, often either of us just stand at the steps and watch the TV and converse with the other. The best part is the dishes are out of sight and can be done whenever.

Sure there are other variations that's why it's important to have or not have what you want/don't want and whether up or down is irrelevant in many cases.

Thanks RTF.. sure made the bartender's day.... you have a new fan...

Thanks also psneeld... appreciate the reply...

This issue is an old chestnut, discussed many times. I suspect the real answer re galley up or down is…"wherever it is on the boat you fall in love with, and which chooses you." Then you make it work, because there are pros and cons for both about equally...

I agree!

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

In a galley down more of the galley is surrounded by bulkheads.

When the range is mounted outboard , against the hull , unless the stove is gimboled , half the time a pot tossed off goes against the hull, the other half on the cook. MUCH UNOOD!

Mounted against a bulkhead it probably would not be gimboled , but the errant pot goes port or stbd , either way a better deal than on the cook.

A good set of sea rails on the range and clamping pot holders may slow down the problem in small waves , but not in blue water.

Last edited:
I'm gonna go with Earl on this one. I think mine is even "more" mid level. From the salo(o)n, you go down one step...that is where the dinette is...starboard side. And then one more step to the galley is to port. I would say the cooks site line is about waist high on someone standing in the salo(o)n. Not only that, there are the big forward sloping windows over the galley so there is tons of natural light. I would say Carver did an excellent job remedying the age old discussion and basically answered your question with.....BOTH!!! The cook is easily in the social space of the salo(o)n. It is also the reason why a boat like this seems HUGE on the inside. The spaces are joined together...instead of separated. The dinette also serves as more seating for the whole social area regardless of the meal plan. My "little" 35ft boat can easily seat 8-10 in the salo(o)n area when the dinette serves double duty. Hey FF, how's that for marketing people designing boats???!!!!....;)

One is a pic from the view out....the other looking in.

Attachments

• 4577708_20140221120936927_1_XLARGE.jpg
    4577708_20140221120936927_1_XLARGE.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 4577708_20140221121113249_1_XLARGE.jpg
    4577708_20140221121113249_1_XLARGE.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Speaking of seating ...heck....this is 5 and it is only in one corner of the salo(o)n!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 96
Roger Baker... the 356 was on the short list, but I opted for the single diesel. I preferred the 356 layout - second stateroom, and the salo(o)n seems a little bigger plus the 356 has interior (updated/more modern) over the 34MS. The 356 stuffs a lot in this package.. Maybe Marlow will pick up on some of the 356 features in future MS's. (The dog's eyes look like LED's - you probably didn't notice)

Roger Baker... the 356 was on the short list, but I opted for the single diesel. I preferred the 356 layout - second stateroom, and the salo(o)n seems a little bigger plus the 356 has interior (updated/more modern) over the 34MS. The 356 stuffs a lot in this package.. Maybe Marlow will pick up on some of the 356 features in future MS's. (The dog's eyes look like LED's - you probably didn't notice)

That is interesting, Earl, because the Mainship 34 was on my shortlist. In the end, I got a deal on this boat that pretty much forced my hand. I also wanted a solid 15kt cruise and I wasn't sure the 34T with a single could do it. I got mixed replies when I would ask that question that basically told me the boat was straining at that speed. I know there are a couple out there with the twin 4LHAs but they were on the upper end of the price range. I am ultimately a Sedan person and am a huge fan of all of the modern Mainship sedans. But the 356 is boat I have always kept an eye on simply because it is so much boat for a "35 footer". And then when this one showed up locally, I had to take a look. But I certainly understand ref the single comment. I have an entire bilge full of engines!!!

caltexflanc wrote;

"However, I don't see "down" as being physically practical on boats much below 45 feet. There are some, but they tend to be cramped"

We w our 30' Willard have galley up and like it. Our last boat was the Albin 25 w galley down. And my recollections are that as you get down to around 20' galley up is almost out of the question. "Up" is not in a cabin. But then really small sedan cruisers have one cabin. Then there is no "down".

Same here Baker... it took a little over a year to get approvals to moor at my house and once approval was final, I moved quickly and got 90% of my "must have" items from a motivated seller. You're right, 15kt is a lot to ask from a single... I've had mine to 18.4mph, but that was just to check rpm's and mph... normal cruise for me is 9~10 mph. A neighbor had twin 4's in his MS and that was twice the maintenance for speed I didn't need. Agree, the 356 is a lot in a 34' package. Nevertheless, it's always interesting to see what the other boater has...

whos GW?
is he for hire?
GW is my wife, she's not a "he", and no, she's not for hire. The GW is for Galley Wench, a nickname she came up with several years ago and she loves it. She's not only a great cook, but also a first rate deck hand....and she puts up with me and my shenanigans.

She's a gourmet quality cook and prepares a five or six course meal, almost completely done on the boat while we're underway. If I participate at all in the prep of the meal it's to do the grilling on the Magma.

I'm lucky in that she does a trial run of her selected menu items on me. I'm the guinea pig and get to sample all the items and make suggestions (if any) on how to improve each course.

With our galley up I am able to mix and serve drinks and get more beers from the frig without breaking off the conversation. We all have our priorities.

Not quite sure where people think many "galley downs" are...but mines NOT in the bilge.

Almost every complaint I've heard really doesn't apply to mine or many other "galley down" designs I have seen/used.

Back
Top Bottom