Separate Engine Survey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have 3 engines and ancillaries deserving a proper survey. The cost is modest compared to repairing a major defect you or a general surveyor may miss.
For the current boat I had both surveyors present same time, but if one side of the survey, ie mechanical or general, has you more concerned, do the one of concern first, if it fails, you`ve the option to cancel the other. I hope it goes well and turns out a great boat.

>The cost of the engine surveyor was easily worth the lower renegotiated price.<

Perhaps sometimes,

Many boats are sold as they are .

No promise from the seller to a perfect boat , just what you see.

It is up to the purchaser to decide if the boat has enough value to justify the price , with no dream of 100% as new.

And here I was expecting universal agreement . . . :D.

Oh well, just like anchors, galley up or down and singles vs twins, variety is the spice of life.

I'm leaning toward spending the money for most of the reasons already stated . . . and learning maintenance from a pro on the spot can't hurt. Also, I think the obsessiveness from my formative years in a nuclear plant is kicking in.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll post the outcome in mid-April after the survey(s).

We had a separate mechanical survey done when we did the haul out and survey when we had an offer on our boat. In addition we had oil samples taken and analyzed. The mechanic monitored the main during the sea trial and also the genset. Nothing jumped out, but the mechanic we used identified a leak from the head gasket. Brian Smith felt it was more likely due to weeping from the fuel return lines. It was part of my desire for due diligence during a very stressful first time purchase of a large boat.

The mechanic's written report wasn't particularly detailed, and I probably should have sourced someone more familiar with the Lehman engine.

Jim,

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

Last edited:
I have done hundreds of pre-purchase engine inspections. Most on fast sportfish, but also about 20 (??) Lehman boats. So my Lehman experience is not super detailed.

In virtually all the go-fast sportfishers, there were problems found that were WAY more costly than my fee. Defiinitely worthwhile.

In the Lehman boats (non turbo), some had significant problems, some did not. So it is a bit of a crapshoot as to whether the mech survey is worth it.

The approach that seems to work best is to break the mech inspection into parts: Get a knowledgeable mechanic or engine surveyor (must know the engine) to ride along for the running portion of the sea trial. The hull surveyor is busy then so having a second set of eyes dedicated to the machinery space is worth it for that reason alone. Have the mechanic check for rusty valve gear, do a cold start, running temps, blowby, look for leaks, check rpms, shaft vibes, alt volts, motor mounts, exh smoke etc. Usually can be done in 3-4-5hrs of his time. Not really a full "engine survey", but uses the 80/20 rule. Someone take oil samples at the end.

IF something major is found, there may be further investigation to do. But if everything checks out, none of that further stuff is likely worth it.

Another often worthwhile step is to have the mech do a "quick look" dockside before the whole survey ball gets rolling. If mech is local, this can take an hour or so. Big problems are usually pretty obvious the moment you hop into the ER.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom