Just a Floating Apartment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can buy a houseboat with dead inboard or outdrive engines, and for modest money put something like a single 40hp outboard on a bracket. Can even leave the dead engines installed as ballast. 40hp is plenty to move around, and depending on how bracket is set up, motor can be tilted clear of water (very important).

Anything that goes wrong with an outboard can be fixed with four bolts!!!

There are places where you can set a deck on some floats and build whatever you want on top. There's a TV show "Buying the Bayou" where some of the homes are just that.

Other places, that's not allowed.

I doubt many of the $5K houseboats have LectraSan sewage treatment systems.

Some marinas have pumpouts at every slip or so the hose will reach your slip....

Lectrasans used aren't too bad in price and if a $5000 houseboat needs a $1000 Lectrasan to be legal and allowed in a marina...it might be worth it for those that want the lifestyle...

Last edited by a moderator:
rnyacht.jpg

Floating Rafts and Houseboats in Thailand

Just today I'm going thru a whole lot of photos I took of a large number of floating rafts (entertainment and dinner rafts), and houseboats on the river Kwai in Kanchanburi Thailand. I'll have to post some when I get back home...in route now

Oh and most of these rafts/homes are rather large, and have no propulsion power of their own. But the do have some great little tow boats. Got some pics of them as well.

Here's a few:
DSCF2629.jpg
DSCF2639.jpg
DSCF2608.jpg

Then one of my favorite of the tow boats:
DSCF2752.jpg

wait till you see some close-ups of these vessels :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom