Apollo 32 Information

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Min Egen

Help! If you have, or know someone who has, information on the Apollo 32 made in Denmark I would very much appreciate hearing from you. I know that the boat's designs, drawings, etc. were donatedd to a Maritimme Museum in Denmark but have not had a response from them. The original owner picked the vessel up in Copenhagen and brought her back on her own bottom to Victoria, Canada. The ship's registry has her listed as being there ever since. I am the third owner and would like to make some changes but need more information about her hull. She was used as an ambulance ( the hull design ) and then her superstructure was modified to create a trawler.
While I am extremely happy with her performance I'm not sure if it would be foolhardy to try and take her down the West Coast of the United States and on into Mexico. Several people have suggested the best route is about 200 miles offshore while others advice to stay 'on the shelf' 8 to 12 miles off, still others say it would be foolish to attempt the trip in a MV of this size.
Any feedback regarding route(s), time of year, et cetera would be appreciated.
Thanks
Min Egen
:)

You could try this link combined with google translate you might find what you are looking for or somebody from there can point you in the right direction

Its in swedish couldnt find anything here from Denmark

Apollo32

I just bought one...

I used to cruise up and down the BC coast on a friend's Apollo 32. A great vessel and well built, although with her hull design she is certainly a wet boat. Having crossed the gulf (of Georgia) a number of times in nasty weather aboard her I would not want to be 200 miles offshore with her for sure. Fuel capacity alone would be a huge challenge, and her semi displacement design does not lend itself well to really heavy weather.

Single or twins?

Her designer was Klaus Baess, if that helps your search.

Mines a single screw, perkins engine. Scaling down after owning a 50' Gibson houseboat, and damn excited about it.

Last edited:
If you want to take the Apollo 32 down the coast, I'd contact professional boat movers and have it shipped overland. It is wide enough that it would require an oversized load permit, but it appears to be low enough to be legal height on a trailer so the cost would be about $2.50/mile. If you want to go into Mexico, there is a marina in San Carlos that will ship your boat from Tucson AZ to San Carlos.

I'm just going from Jersey to Baltimore... Looking forward to the trip!

I was responding to the OP who asked about taking an Apollo 32 down the west coast of the US and even into Mexico. On the East coast I would take the ICW also, unless I couldn't afford the time.

It's great to see a discussion on the Apollo 32, as it is a phenomenal boat. Anyone who has fallen in love with the Albin 25 will like the Apollo as it like a big brother to the Albin; similar concept and layout, but larger.

I just closed today on her. I only have driven her on a short sea trial, but find the handling characteristics rather enjoyable, compared to my houseboat. I plan on three or four days worth of shaking down in a few weeks, followed by the trek from New Jersey to Baltimore in mid April. Stay tuned....

My Apollo 32 came from Copenhagen on her own bottom and therefore is in the Ships Registry. She has wonderful for managing in 4-5 foot seas compared to my Bayliner that would slap around in that sort of weather. I find that see is often out in weather where other vessels are typically 50 foot plus. Her fuel burn at 9 knots is just in excess of 1 q imperial gallon an hour at 1400 rpm.
I am just completing a refit of her after 12 000 hours. Replaced engine, rebuilt starter, raw and cooling water pumps, fuel injection pump s d injectors. I have a triple Racor filtering system down to 2 microns as opposed to Perkins original 6 micron single filter. She has dual fuel filtering systems so a simple change of 2 valves will allow the second system to replace the first in the event of a fuel flow problem. I would like to add an external fuel tank (100 gallons) to supplement the original between hulls system that she has aspart of the original design for the hull's service in WW II as an ambulance boat in the North Sea.
If you have any additional information about her design and history, particularly publications I would love to hear about them.
Min Egen, registry Victoria.

I am certain this is the boat I saw at Oak Bay Marina in July (?) of 2017. Do you have her up for sale?

TrentePieds

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom