Mainship 390 Delivery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Catching a mooring by drifting down on it is OK up to the moment when you miss it and run over the ball. A nice thing about the 390 is instant access to the starboard walk around deck from the helm.

"From the lower helm picking up a mooring is a piece of cake. Just pull along side with the mooring bouy even with the helm. Step out on deck. Hook the eye of the pennant with a boat hook, and walk it to the bow.

The beauty of your trip is that it is one way. You don't have to return, so take your time. There are some great ports to enjoy. Inviting friends and family to enjoy the trip is a great idea. Docking, anchoring, and picking up a mooring just keep the bow in the current. St Augustine can have a mean current in the marina, but being from Georgia you are use to that."

I don't recall anything here about drifting down on the mooring.

Wow do I disagree...running a new to you boat and solo up the coast a mile or two off the beach to me is WAY safer......if anything goes wrong or you hear a sound you can't decipher happens...autopilot or just neutral and a safe drift gives you the opportunity to investigate....obviously as long as the seas are reasonable.

The busy and narrow ICW is no place to just put it in neutral /shut down and run below to find that issue....

Last edited:
I have made that trip several times. I just find a place out of the channel that is deep enough for anchoring. Creeks, wide parts of the channel, etc. Even using a paper chart you can find a place. There are several stretches that are dredged ditches with nowhere to stop. So plan ahead.

Creeks are favored, as if the wind comes up you are sheltered. Better sleeping if it is quiet.

Congrats on the boat!!
:thumb:

As much as I love AC and use it all the time, by first ever time, only 10 months ago, I relied on it almost too much. I mean that I would be looking on AC and miss the great spot right in front of me.

So, you can do it. I like traveling outside also, as it is far easier and far less stressful. 70 miles on the ICW is HARD.

When are you leaving?

I figure it will take me a week. Any suggestions on anchorages or mooring fields on the way would be helpful and appreciated.

When are you planning on doing your trip?

We did the trip last spring/summer.
These are the places we anchored at either going or coming back:

Lake Boca Raton
Merritt Is. (across from Cocoa)
Jensen Beach (south of the bridge, west side)

Unnamed creek between Ormond – by - the Sea and Flagler Beach (mile 809). Behind the Sea Ray factory (surprisingly, very quiet).

Umbrella Creek (southwest of Jekyll Is.)
New Teakettle Creek (west of Sapelo Is.)
Upper Vernon River (south of Savannah)

Moored at: St Augustine
Marinas we stayed at: Titusville Muni
Arlington Marina, Jacksonville

We didn’t go outside at all as there were small craft warnings just about every day. The bridges were a pain in the butt, but you will gain valuable experience holding your new-to-you boat in place as well as navigating through some skinny water. I actually enjoyed the ICW quite a bit, more so on the way back (north) then on the trip down.

Also: 10 hour days would be very difficult to do solo. A long day even with two people, but very doable with enough daylight. We did several, covered about 100 miles on those days. Six hour days will give you more time to get settled in at your anchorage and give you time to move if you have to with daylight. An extra day or two allowance can make a big difference.

Before you leave in the morning, review your route for the day to identify areas that require extra attention. Also, plan your anchorages for that day before you leave in the morning. Give yourself at least one alternative in the event there is a problem with your first choice.

Use your ground tackle (solo) before you go.
Picking up a mooring ball solo could be very difficult in windy, choppy conditions.

Gotta have: Adequate ground tackle
Accurate depth sounder
Good chart plotter
Waterway guide
Towing insurance
Should have: Active Captain

I’d be glad to help (crew) for some of the legs. KJ

Remember that many accidents happen at the end of the day. You feel that you have reached the destination only you're not quite there yet. The glare of the sun, vibration and noise of the boat, and constant attention to the helm take a big toll. Shorter days are better. Just remember to not let your guard down when nearing your daily destination.

Remember that many accidents happen at the end of the day. You feel that you have reached the destination only you're not quite there yet. The glare of the sun, vibration and noise of the boat, and constant attention to the helm take a big toll. Shorter days are better. Just remember to not let your guard down when nearing your daily destination.

Absolutely...fatigue and accidents go together like mobile homes and tornados or alligators and Labrador Retrievers......

if you are gonna press...go for it...high speed and long days....you'll spend a bit more in fuel and go ahead and go to inexpensive marinas for the night...I can find them for you if you give me a speed you are willing t go and take whatever fuel consumption you get.

Let's say you burn a couple hundred more in fuel and spend 4 nights in marinas for around $80 buck a night MAX......that's $500 dollars more for the trip...might be worth every penny just to slide in, tie up and sleep like a baby.

Heck...I've done it both ways....pressed hard for a client as a delivery skipper and taken over a month to do the same trip....either way works for what you want.

Absolutely...fatigue and accidents go together like mobile homes and tornados or alligators and Labrador Retrievers......

if you are gonna press...go for it...high speed and long days....you'll spend a bit more in fuel and go ahead and go to inexpensive marinas for the night...I can find them for you if you give me a speed you are willing t go and take whatever fuel consumption you get.

Let's say you burn a couple hundred more in fuel and spend 4 nights in marinas for around $80 buck a night MAX......that's $500 dollars more for the trip...might be worth every penny just to slide in, tie up and sleep like a baby.

Heck...I've done it both ways....pressed hard for a client as a delivery skipper and taken over a month to do the same trip....either way works for what you want.

And you're trying to anchor or dock at the end of the day, when most fatigued. Maneuvering to the anchorage or marina.

I think those kind of days would be tiring to a professional delivery captain. But I know I would have a very difficult time maintaining my energy and alertness and just keeping at it that long.

And you're trying to anchor or dock at the end of the day, when most fatigued. Maneuvering to the anchorage or marina.

I think those kind of days would be tiring to a professional delivery captain. But I know I would have a very difficult time maintaining my energy and alertness and just keeping at it that long.

well that's the job....

and for the OP...whatever his energy level is and skillset should determine what he should do....

lot's of options...I'm sure he'll figure it out....as far as anchorages...that's always a personal/weather decision...I gave my fav's....

In other words, what i think we are all saying is that when you get tired; stop.

Don't try to press on to the next better anchorage.

and have BoatUS or Seatow FULL coverage

"From the lower helm picking up a mooring is a piece of cake. Just pull along side with the mooring bouy even with the helm. Step out on deck. Hook the eye of the pennant with a boat hook, and walk it to the bow.

The beauty of your trip is that it is one way. You don't have to return, so take your time. There are some great ports to enjoy. Inviting friends and family to enjoy the trip is a great idea. Docking, anchoring, and picking up a mooring just keep the bow in the current. St Augustine can have a mean current in the marina, but being from Georgia you are use to that."

I don't recall anything here about drifting down on the mooring.
See post #29 :

Grabbing a mooring single handed is not difficult. use the lower station and open the side door. Position the boat so the wind and /or current pushes you toward the ball.

Last edited:
Wow do I disagree...running a new to you boat and solo up the coast a mile or two off the beach to me is WAY safer......if anything goes wrong or you hear a sound you can't decipher happens...autopilot or just neutral and a safe drift gives you the opportunity to investigate....obviously as long as the seas are reasonable.

The busy and narrow ICW is no place to just put it in neutral /shut down and run below to find that issue....

A 390 lying beam to the sea while dead in the water is extremely rocky, making repair and investigation dangerous. There are waves out there! I suppose if you wait for the perfect calm day you can avoid those pesky things.

And there are very limited options to turn in and secure the boat; if disabled you are drifting waiting for the towing service to get out to you. (yeah I know, carry a sea anchor drogue, the boat will still be bouncy) Between Ft Pierce and Jacksonville, save for Canaveral, the inlets, even St. A can be tricky to a newbie especially on an ebb tide, even with radio assistance from the tow service or marina. And, they are spread out. Mr. Murphy will likely visit you in the most inconvenient location at the worst time.

I am very fond of the 390, but having had one on SF Bay and another out to the Channel Islands, I personally classify them as fair weather, fair seas boats, especially until a new captain gains comfort with it.

A 390 lying beam to the sea while dead in the water is extremely rocky, making repair and investigation dangerous. There are waves out there! I suppose if you wait for the perfect calm day you can avoid those pesky things.

And there are very limited options to turn in and secure the boat; if disabled you are drifting waiting for the towing service to get out to you. (yeah I know, carry a sea anchor drogue, the boat will still be bouncy) Between Ft Pierce and Jacksonville, save for Canaveral, the inlets, even St. A can be tricky to a newbie especially on an ebb tide, even with radio assistance from the tow service or marina. And, they are spread out. Mr. Murphy will likely visit you in the most inconvenient location at the worst time.

I am very fond of the 390, but having had one on SF Bay and another out to the Channel Islands, I personally classify them as fair weather, fair seas boats, especially until a new captain gains comfort with it.

That pretty much sums it up.....

I have experience cruising and chartering from the outer banks to the Bahamas, so I am not too concerned about the navigation. Just not used to such a large boat and its systems. During the sea trial it seemed pretty easy to handle from the bridge. Yes, picking up a mooring would be tough to do by myself. Anchoring would be the easiest but will require planning. And of course all plans subject to change due to boat or weather issues. I will not succumb to "get homeitis" and push my luck. Its supposed to be fun dammit!

Thanks again all.

Pluto - You've got it covered. You've thought this out in some good detail.

Anchoring solo is no big deal provided it's not in a hurricane. Get comfortable with throttling to neutral and see where the boat drifts. Watch your temps to see what is "normal", and note it. EXPECT something to go wrong. A light out, something not performing as expected and so on. Glitches happen.

I'm assuming you have auto pilot. The night before pulling anchor, you may want to make yourself a food and drink cooler for the bridge.

And as this is the first trip with your new craft, bring a great camera and store it on the bridge ready to go in arm's reach. Zoom lens recommended.

Sometimes you see things fast. I see dolphins from time to time. They don't wait for a trip to the cabin for you to get your stuff.

Have a great trip!

Made it! Here is my log if anyone is interested:

Saturday morning met Leo Carrie at the boat and we began going over systems and operation. Provisioned the boat, turned in rental car.
Sunday Fueled at Laudedale Marina ($800) left Lauderdale winds 15-17 out of the SE but we chose to go outside to bypass the bridges and slow zones. 3-5 foot seas, boat rolly completely manageable. Had to hand steer as autopilot could not keep up with conditions.
Came in at Lake Worth Inlet (Palm Beach) and continued North on ICW and anchored behind AIA bridge. Muddy and poor holding but we did okay.

Monday March 17 north to Vero Beach. Dropped Leo off at the marina and topped tanks and headed north solo. Dropped anchor behind Melbourne Causeway North anchorage. Cold front passage overnight, wind shifted from SSW to NNW at 25 gust to 30K at 130 in the morning. Monitored by IPHONE anchor alert app and prayed anchor would not drag. It didn’t, but it was a frightening experience. Tornado watch, radar precip was red. All I saw on one point out the window was white blowing rain and spray. No fun.

Tuesday March 18
So happy to see light. Wind strong NNW but boat powered against it fine. Chart plotter ran out of coverage and navigated the rest of the trip with IPAD, IPHONE and Active Captain. Anchored at Memorial Bridge South anchorage, Daytona. Pleasant night.

Wednesday March 19
On to Saint Augustine. Topped fuel and water. Anchored Saint Augustine North-3, in front of the fort. Just off waterway. Would have stayed at the marina but I was not sure I could maneuver the boat where they wanted me to go.

Thursday March 20
Docked by mid afternoon at Fernandina Beach Marina. Son James joining tonight late for final leg.

Friday March 21
Let James sleep in a little cause he did not get there until after 1am. Underway by 9. Had a little confusion about the bouys changing over at the submarine base and got a not so friendly call from Military police boat to point me in the right direction. Got to an anchorage behind St. Cathrines for the night.
Saturday March 22
Fort McAllister Marina by 10am. Yeah!

Made it! Here is my log if anyone is interested:

I'm interested. Thanks for sharing. Brings back lots of memories (some good, some not so good).

Good times....if it don't kill ya it makes ya stronger (smarter).

Congratulations on a successful voayage!

Too bad you didn't have more time to wait out the weather and make more stops along the way. The very accurate old saying is "The most dangerous thing you can have on a boat is a schedule". In this case, luckily it was just very inconvenient and extra stress-creating.

Have fun with your new boat, may future cruises be more relaxing!

In someways it was like my get home trip. Was on a schedule and left during small craft advisories. My GPS chip also ran out after 370 miles, but by then I was close to home and knew the waters. Still its strange to see that line on the screen with nothing on the other side.
John
MS390

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom