New Nautical word

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To me, one term that has become archaic and shouldn't be is 'pitching.' I read on this forum and others the term 'hobby-horsing.' Seriously, hobby horsing?

Considering it is one of the 6 degrees of a vessel's motion, it is hard to believe the term pitching is considered archaic. It is among the most commonly used terms to describe vessel motion in response to seas. I can't think of many discussions among boat people where the term has not been used.

"Hobby horsing" is well and truly an amateur way of describing pitching ... it is kind of embarrassing to see it used on a boating forum.

SHOT--a length of chain rode 15 fathoms in length.
LEAGUE--distance a man walking briskly can cover in 1 hour (in English-speaking countries it is taken to mean just under 4 statute miles).

Greetings,
Mr. m. "What are the other three?"...
3_stooges-86090.gif

Last edited:
Have you ever painted an eyebrow?
EYEBROW=The protrusion above the upper half of the exterior side of a Porthole.
USE=to divert water that is moving down a vertical bulkhead in which a port light is found.

right rudder

Sometimes I think it's a regular zoo out there.....

Monkey fists, Pelican hooks, Camels, Donkey boilers / engines, Birdseye's, Dog watches, Cat paws, Goat lockers, Goose necks, Snakes, Monkey Sh*t, and on and on.

Pitch, roll, yaw.

What are the other three?

I know that "heave" on a USCG icebreaker is appropriately termed....:eek:

sway and surge are 2 more but I swear I've heard different terms (not quite as exotic as hobby-horse) but I'll have to think some more.)..

Last edited:
Hmmmmm that kind of sounds like a lifestyle thing of the sort that disturbs the folks in Kansas.

Lol! Or maybe some of the folks in Arizona too.
:)

Here's one that was new to me- 'Careen'. They would run the ship into the shallows and when the tide went out, it would roll to one side or the other to enable cleaning or repairs to one side of the hull. Suitable spots to do this were called careenages. I first heard of this reading "Shogun", a terrific novel by the way.

We get to watch ski boat newbies on the Columbia river islands do this often and unintentionally. In summer, Bonneville dam lowers the flow and the river drops 4-6 feet by morning. Morning entertainment is provided by watching stuck boaters over coffee when we are happily anchored deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

An old Cajun fishing buddy of mine used to say the period between tide changes tide was a "Confused tide" it didn't know if it was coming or going.

It isn't air that is used on marine boilers, it is steam. Only a land based powerplant can afford the space and energy to use compressed air. The only thing a marine soot blower uses air for is the motor that rotates the lance. The soot blower lance and nozzles are located inside the boiler and aimed at the set of tubes they serve. At least once a day the soot blowers are used to "blow tubes" and remove accumulated soot that acts as an insulator and can create a fire hazard.

The soot blowers are fed by superheated steam (very hot and dry) in a sequence starting low and ending high. The forced draft fans are turned up to supply more air flow to carry off the dislodged soot and that is why it looks like the stack is "blowing."
most of the times they would blow the tubes on the 12 to 4 watch

We get to watch ski boat newbies on the Columbia river islands do this often and unintentionally. In summer, Bonneville dam lowers the flow and the river drops 4-6 feet by morning. Morning entertainment is provided by watching stuck boaters over coffee when we are happily anchored deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
I got to watch a bunch of bikers (that got hammered the night before), scramble to get their motorcycles out of the surf one morning in Daytona Beach.
Tides, huh.. who knew?. :rolleyes:

"That's A Real Bell Ringer", referring to waves that were so steep or jutering to a boat that the boat's bell would ring itself.

To me, one term that has become archaic and shouldn't be is 'pitching.' I read on this forum and others the term 'hobby-horsing.' Seriously, hobby horsing? Pitching is the proper term for that motion of a boat. Totally annoying. Rant over.

Are Pitch, Roll and Yaw proper boating terms, and do they mean the same thing they do when talking about aircraft?

Are Pitch, Roll and Yaw proper boating terms, and do they mean the same thing they do when talking about aircraft?

Yes , there is also heave and surge on the nautical side.

According to Nautical Dictionary, Glossary and Terms directory: Search Results . Hobby horse means, to pitch repeatedly. “In short seas, the boat tends to hobby horse.”

Pitch refers to a single event as the boat pitched up when we crossed the large wake. Hobby horse refers to a repeated cyclical motion that occurs when the wave period matches the resonant or harmonic frequency of the vessel. In extreme cases, severe hobby horsing could result in pitchpoling.

Let's throw this one in also.... phugoid...a relative of pitch

The phugoid has a nearly constant angle of attack but varying pitch, caused by a repeated exchange of airspeed and altitude. It can be excited by an elevator singlet (a short, sharp deflection followed by a return to the centered position) resulting in a pitch increase with no change in trim from the cruise condition...

Phugoid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's where United Airlines Flt 232 in the 1989 crash in Sioux City lost it's total flight control system in a DC-10 because the tail engine exploded and took out all hydraulics....yet the pilots landed it with differential engine thrust and playing the phugoid...at least that's the way I remember Captain Haynes lecture going..saw him 2x in that presentation.

United Airlines Flight 232 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Harumph ... a toyboat term that has spread via the internet. Shouldn't be dignified by repeating it.

Greetings,
Mr. psneeld. Airspeed and altitude? I suspect you're a bit phuged-up or on the wrong website....

wtf2.gif

Greetings,
Mr. psneeld. Airspeed and altitude? I suspect you're a bit phuged-up or on the wrong website....

wtf2.gif

naw...saw a really fuzzy picture of a phugoid once.... think it's FD...but for the right price....definitely a bluewater vessel. Just don't think you can get away with a propane fridge onboard or surf down them swells through the Columbia bar.

yet the pilots landed it with differential engine thrust and playing the phugoid.

YES , but with no control of the cycle , they were in a Down portion when contacting the ground.

New to me, so perhaps to someone else also.
noun: overfall; plural noun: overfalls

1. 1.
    a turbulent stretch of open water caused by the wind blowing against a current, by a strong current or tide over an underwater ridge, or by a meeting of currents.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom