Mainship 390 Delivery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pluto

Vessel Name
Hot Shot
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
After dreaming, looking , and lurking this forum for 2 years I am pulling the trigger on a Mainship 390. The boat is in Fort Lauderdale, I am near Savannah. I have arranged for another local MS 390 owner to spend a couple of days with me to teach me boat systems and handling as we head North. But I will be single handling the boat from about Fort Pierce North to Savannah.. My plan is to anchor out at night and just get into a boat delivery mindset. Go from dawn to dusk And crank out as many miles as I can. All my kids, wife, and friends are working so its up to me. I cant afford a delivery captain.

I figure it will take me a week. Any suggestions on anchorages or mooring fields on the way would be helpful and appreciated.

Get Active Captain, it'll tell you all about all the anchorages along the way, and many other things in your area.

Yes sir, I have my trusty Ipad with Active Captain as my guide. I think I can pull it off.

I have made that trip several times. I just find a place out of the channel that is deep enough for anchoring. Creeks, wide parts of the channel, etc. Even using a paper chart you can find a place. There are several stretches that are dredged ditches with nowhere to stop. So plan ahead.

Creeks are favored, as if the wind comes up you are sheltered. Better sleeping if it is quiet.

Congrats on the boat!!

I second activecaptain.com for info. Vero Beach has a great mooring field, but it is only about 15 miles north of Ft. Pierce. St. Augustine has a great mooring field with a water taxi, and Fernandina has some moorings.

Watch going by Daytona Beach, and make sure your head seacock is closed and secured. The sheriff's patrol is very active through there.

Rock House Creek just north of New Smyrna can be a good anchorage.You can anchor near Ft. Mantansas south of St. Augustine. There are really too many anchorages to list.

If you are in "deivery mode" anchoring out will save you lots of time, not to mention money.
Active Captain will be a big help especially the reviews.
Have a great trip!

Greetings,
Mr. P. Have fun, be careful and keep an eye on the tides. Some skinny water in the low country at low tide.

Make your P and J sand. the nite before.Have everything you need on the bridge plus a big neck pee bottle and know your Bridges. Have a safe trip.

Take a magic marker and draw a big skull and crossbones on that Pee bottle so no one gets confused!

Good luck with your 390. i love mine. My first trip with it was roughly the same distance. Just started further north.
John
MS390

After dreaming, looking , and lurking this forum for 2 years I am pulling the trigger on a Mainship 390. The boat is in Fort Lauderdale, I am near Savannah. I have arranged for another local MS 390 owner to spend a couple of days with me to teach me boat systems and handling as we head North. But I will be single handling the boat from about Fort Pierce North to Savannah.. My plan is to anchor out at night and just get into a boat delivery mindset. Go from dawn to dusk And crank out as many miles as I can. All my kids, wife, and friends are working so its up to me. I cant afford a delivery captain.

I figure it will take me a week. Any suggestions on anchorages or mooring fields on the way would be helpful and appreciated.

I don't know your experience but assume you have experience and the two days are just to educate you further on this boat. Assume you know how to read charts and navigate and basic experience in handling seas. If that two days is the extent of your experience then all I can do is say "Don't do it."

Also assuming you have mechanical ability and knowledge to undertake this trip on a boat that's new to you? Assuming it was surveyed and you had a sea trial?

Now, "delivery mindset" implies delivery captain type experience. Otherwise I caution against that mindset. Being in a hurry, going to a schedule are the enemy. Long days are fine but be prepared to have exit strategies to shorten those days if conditions warrant. Know where you would go if conditions changed. Respect conditions and wait for windows if you must.

I am assuming other responsibilities are your reason to hurry the trip but haste can lead to mistakes in judgement. Be prepared in worst case to make it part way and leave it at a marina until you can return to complete the trip.

Good luck in your trip and hope you enjoy your boat immensely.

My plan is to anchor out at night and just get into a boat delivery mindset. Go from dawn to dusk And crank out as many miles as I can. All my kids, wife, and friends are working so its up to me. I cant afford a delivery captain.

I figure it will take me a week.

It's a relatively easy trip, assuming you have previous general boating experience, but I'd recommend you not push yourself too hard, and that you not push on to dusk in any case. Instead, enjoy the trip, do what you can to preserve your own comfort and attention span... and then get yourself anchored by a couple hours before dusk. That'll make it much easier to ensure your ground tackle is properly deployed, your anchor is doing it's job, you'll be able to sleep well... 'cause you'll need the regenerative effects of some relaxation at the end of each day.

-Chris

Greetings,
Mr. P. One thing that hasn't been mentioned and I think is most important is tow insurance. Per my post #8, there is some skinny water and the inevitable shoaling that WON'T necessarily be noted in any of the cruising guides and the LAST thing you want is to be hung up on a falling tide. Tidal range can be 8' in some areas. Try to approach known shallow areas on a rising tide if at all possible. Read your tide tables!
Ft. Lauderdale to Savanna is about 490 miles (statute) so 70 miles a day is a LONG day. As suggested, don't wear yourself out and be prepared to leave the boat if you can't make the full distance.
I would strongly suggest you make the run from Lauderdale to Lake Worth (I think) OUTSIDE if the weather allows. You'll skip 22 bridges (I think) and save a lot of time.
Sorry about all the "I thinks" but the memory dims......

Cocoa is a good anchorage and right next to it is a city dock with 3 hour tie up. No current and as long as the wind is westerly flat calm...Easterly or Southerly could be a bit rough but can anchor north of causeway if southerly.

Titusville has a mooring field and they don't even require you to dingy in (I think) just pay CC by phone.

St Augustine has a few mooring fields but I have no experience with them.

Anchoring for the whole trip is easy if you never have to come ashore....the only issue I see is when you get closer to Savannah and it's tidal currents in small creek anchorages...try to pick them out well enough ahead ...and as other posters mentioned.... get set up before dark and fatigues sets in and forces a bad decision.

Last edited:
We have made the trip to and fro several times in a larger, deeper draft boat, anchoring in a wide variety of locations and mooring (Vero) all along the way. Yes, it would be good to know what your experience level is. Another very good on line resource, that I personally prefer to Active Captain, is

Cruiser's Net.

It is little better vetted than AC. and for me easier to use. A copy of the Waterway Guide Southern and AICW editions is also excellent for planning purposes and a little easier to navigate than the on line stuff.

Have you practiced picking up a mooring single handed? It can be darned tricky if the wind and current are working against you. Anchoring is generally easier but again requires practice for any particular boat. Although you don't plan on it, also practice docking and undocking the boat both with and without on-shore help, floating docks especially but fixed too if you have the time; the best fuel stops along the way are fixed/bulkheads by the way, or you may have to make an emergency landing after hours... things happen!

Also what is your plan for when nature calls? For meals and beverages the 390 (we chartered one a few times) is a nice set up since it is all right at the helm, but advise having the day's plan for eats and drinks organized before departure.

Agree also that dawn-to-dusk is inadvisable, both from a stress standpoint especially if you come upon a destination at dusk where you can't find room or get a good set. Now you are hunting around in the dark. Give yourself plenty of time to find a good spot and relax. It will only add a day or two to that relatively short trip. It is a fun a pretty trip, so why not enjoy it a little. Ditto on a tow company membership for absolutely sure. Even if you don't need them, they are very helpful providing local knowledge.

Why don't you put together a draft itinerary and let some of us vets advise from there?
Then, make sure you file a detailed float plan with someone reliable and check in with them regularly during the day. Cell phone service is generally very good along that stretch though it can get a little sketchy in spots.

Have you considered including a weekend so helpers can come join for a day? It is not a very long drive; one can deliver a crew mate and then shuttle the car to the next pick up point. Regardless, this can be a very very fun adventure with proper planning.

I just sent Pluto a PM offering to help make the trip for expenses. Not to upset the other licensed delivery captains (yes I usually charge a fee) but it's been a brutally cold winter and I'm in dire need of a warm week.
I'll soon get busy but I have a window and would love to get away.
We'll see what he says.
Chip

A few bits I might add: I've done the trip both single handed and with help. Having the help along makes for a much more pleasant trip. Being able to hand off the watch so you can pee, make lunch, take a nap, etc converts a trip from tedium to pleasure. Especially the naps. Nothing like a nap with a motor purring in the background!!

Try to arrange family or friends to meet up with you at various places and join the ride, even if for just a day or two. Savannah is not that far from mid Fla, so it is drivable. What complicates it is what to do with cars- The dreaded "car shuffle", as one always ends up 80mile from where you want it!! Someone has to drop off a car somewhere and figure out how to get it back.

Also, anchoring out is fun and saves money- but every couple of days treat yourself to a marina dock. A nice meal, shore power, a store, laundry, zero stress sleeping, top up fuel and water.

A 390 can run 10-12kts, but be aware it will burn like 2-3times the fuel per mile than running 7.5kt. Some folks new to a boat don't know that.

You are only talking about 382 miles which at 10 knots, 10 hours per day is 4 days.

Most of the ICW through Florida is pretty good. As you hit Georgia you do find some trouble spots.

An aggressive schedule would be:

Fort Lauderdale to Fort Pierce to Daytona to Jacksonville to Savannah.

A more relaxed schedule would be an additional day:

Fort Lauderdale to Stuart to Titusville to Palm Coast to Fernandina to Savannah.

There are plenty of great anchorages and marinas along that route.

And absolutely have tow insurance before you undertake the trip. The tow company serves a second purpose as well. They are excellent sources for local knowledge if you find yourself in need along the way.

If the weather cooperates...the first day you can run with the gulf stream to Ft Pierce...pick up a few knots, the inlet is easy and several anchorages just inside.

I knew I would get some good advice with my post and you guys delivered. Since I have time flexibility I am rethinking the trip and may do it in stages and get some more help along the way.

I have experience cruising and chartering from the outer banks to the Bahamas, so I am not too concerned about the navigation. Just not used to such a large boat and its systems. During the sea trial it seemed pretty easy to handle from the bridge. Yes, picking up a mooring would be tough to do by myself. Anchoring would be the easiest but will require planning. And of course all plans subject to change due to boat or weather issues. I will not succumb to "get homeitis" and push my luck. Its supposed to be fun dammit!

Thanks again all.

A few bits I might add: I've done the trip both single handed and with help. Having the help along makes for a much more pleasant trip. Being able to hand off the watch so you can pee, make lunch, take a nap, etc converts a trip from tedium to pleasure. Especially the naps. Nothing like a nap with a motor purring in the background!!

Try to arrange family or friends to meet up with you at various places and join the ride, even if for just a day or two. Savannah is not that far from mid Fla, so it is drivable. What complicates it is what to do with cars- The dreaded "car shuffle", as one always ends up 80mile from where you want it!! Someone has to drop off a car somewhere and figure out how to get it back.

Also, anchoring out is fun and saves money- but every couple of days treat yourself to a marina dock. A nice meal, shore power, a store, laundry, zero stress sleeping, top up fuel and water.

A 390 can run 10-12kts, but be aware it will burn like 2-3times the fuel per mile than running 7.5kt. Some folks new to a boat don't know that.

Food, rest and water. All very important. You're taking a delivery captain approach but you're not used to that pace. And if you decide on 7.5 knots then five to six days needed. It will be a very monotonous trip much of the time at that pace. Having someone, anyone, with you just to allow you to stretch your legs, move around, use the head, grab some food or water, would be tremendous help. Consume lots of water. Very easy to get dehydrated on such a trip.

Are you used to sleeping anchored? Also, I don't know your fuel capacity but I'm assuming a stop along the way and that will take some time. I don't know what you've had done to the boat or how much it's recently been used but I'd anticipate some issues on a shakedown cruise of that length.

One other consideration to keep in mind and that is bridge clearance. This will impact your schedule significantly. The first bridge you hit will be Sunrise, 22 ft., opens on the hour and half hour, then Oakland Park, 18', quarter and forty-five, then Commercial 9' hour and half, Atlantic 15' hour and half, 14th 12' quarter and 3/4, Hillsboro 21' hour and half, Camino Real 9', hour, twenty and forty, Palmetto 20', hour and half. And with those you've made it to Boca Raton. It can be a very slow trip up the ICW. Great place if you're in no hurry. And an extra person nice when handling all the bridges too.

Still totally in the dark as to your experience.

Edit: See you do have some experience but not a boat that size or it's systems.

Last edited:
I knew I would get some good advice with my post and you guys delivered. Since I have time flexibility I am rethinking the trip and may do it in stages and get some more help along the way.

I have experience cruising and chartering from the outer banks to the Bahamas, so I am not too concerned about the navigation. Just not used to such a large boat and its systems. During the sea trial it seemed pretty easy to handle from the bridge. Yes, picking up a mooring would be tough to do by myself. Anchoring would be the easiest but will require planning. And of course all plans subject to change due to boat or weather issues. I will not succumb to "get homeitis" and push my luck. Its supposed to be fun dammit!

Thanks again all.

I know the urge to get home is there plus not as much fun without your family. Still just some great places along the way to take a break from the trip. Weather not likely to be an issue on the ICW. Outside might or might not. I've assumed you'll be inside. You could stretch this into a week, 7 day or 9 day and have an excellent trip. Move two, rest one. Or move full day, then half day and rest. Or just do 6 to 8 hour days.

Good reason to run offshore with the gulf stream to Ft Pierce to miss all those bridges. Drag a lure or 2 and catch dinner.

Does the boat have an autopilot? If so running offshore all the way to Jax is a possibility if time and safety is an issue as you just have to keep an eye out rather than stress with nav/channels/etc...although I use the pilot a lot in the ICW, especially places like the Indian River where it's wide open from just above Vero to past Titusville. It's great again in the sounds and wide rivers in Georgia. So you are a lot less fatigued and have the mobility to use the head/eat/etc....

Good reason to run offshore with the gulf stream to Ft Pierce to miss all those bridges. Drag a lure or 2 and catch dinner.

Does the boat have an autopilot? If so running offshore all the way to Jax is a possibility if time and safety is an issue as you just have to keep an eye out rather than stress with nav/channels/etc...although I use the pilot a lot in the ICW, especially places like the Indian River where it's wide open from just above Vero to past Titusville. It's great again in the sounds and wide rivers in Georgia. So you are a lot less fatigued and have the mobility to use the head/eat/etc....

We prefer offshore but I don't know the speed or range of his boat. We tend to go offshore and move a bit faster.

Also, might prefer staying in as this is his shakedown cruise and doesn't know whether he'll encounter mechanical issues.

Yes, picking up a mooring would be tough to do by myself. Anchoring would be the easiest but will require planning. And of course all plans subject to change due to boat or weather issues. I will not succumb to "get homeitis" and push my luck. Its supposed to be fun dammit!

Thanks again all.

From the lower helm picking up a mooring is a piece of cake. Just pull along side with the mooring bouy even with the helm. Step out on deck. Hook the eye of the pennant with a boat hook, and walk it to the bow.

The beauty of your trip is that it is one way. You don't have to return, so take your time. There are some great ports to enjoy. Inviting friends and family to enjoy the trip is a great idea. Docking, anchoring, and picking up a mooring just keep the bow in the current. St Augustine can have a mean current in the marina, but being from Georgia you are use to that.

Can certainly be done even with my 6.3 knot boat...as I'm planning my trip north from Ft Pierce as I write....that's with a dog and a friend that needs to get ashore every 10-12hrs or so and hate boat motion so I have to really eyeball the weather.

But if I was running by myself, wanted to make time and the weather cooperated....I'd run the whole trip offshore as it isn't always shorter or faster for slower boats...but 8-10 knots and 10-12 hr days it would be easy with calm seas and fair winds.

If the trip becomes important for any other reason than delivery...the all bets are off and it's the discussion of many beer sessions.

If Daddyo chimes in.... all bets of for sure...he's probably done the run safely, single handed and non-stop....:eek:

I've only gone outside. It you have a autopilot and good forecast, picking up over 3 knots really makes a difference in a slow boat. There's fuel close to the inlets from St. Augustine to Savanah, all with wide entrances you can use at night. Come in take a nap. But see no reason to use the ditch.

A few 390 points; as I said earlier my get home trip was over 400 miles in a variety of weather. You did not say, but since most 390's were built as singles, I will assume yours is also. if you don't have an auto pilot, you will tire out soon as single 390's tend to wander and will follow whatever track the waves push it in. i ran mine at 10 kts for the whole trip. For a single, that is 2500 rpm's. i now run at 1950 rpm's which will give you 8 kts and much better fuel use. I have a turbocharged 370 Yanmar and Yanmar wants you to run at least 2500 rpms every few hours for 20 minutes or so. Trying to run at 12 kts only uses a lot of fuel. the boat does not like that speed.

Grabbing a mooring single handed is not difficult. use the lower station and open the side door. Position the boat so the wind and /or current pushes you toward the ball. Docking is easy with the bow thruster and you will need it. the rudder is way too small for the boat and close in maneuvering is difficult without the thruster.

Learn all of your switches before you leave. in the saloon, head and each stateroom, my boat has one light switch that is 12vdc and one that is 110vac. if you don't have your generator running you will turn switches on and some of the lights won't work and you'll waste a lot of time changing bulbs out to know avail. I discovered that strange fact my first night on the hook before turning the generator on.

Be careful in shallow water. the boat draws 3' 8". The prop is the lowest portion and is 1/2" lower than the keel. There is a really good Mainship group on yahoo. be sure to join

Good luck and have fun.

John
MS390

He is starting his potential solo or family journey in Ft Pierce. Dialing back to hull speed, 7-8 knots will save a bunch of fuel. 6 or 7 days is a better base plan, the more the better to enjoy what the route has to offer. Can run about 8 hours a day with logical anchorages at each stop.

Going outside is probably not a great plan in a new-to-you boat. And inside is a lot more fun and scenic the first time or two until you are in the "been there, done that mode" most of Florida got that way for us after a few trips. We really liked gunk-holing and dawdling in Georgia when we could, though you can do a lot of that jumping from inlet to inlet.

Catching a mooring by drifting down on it is OK up to the moment when you miss it and run over the ball. A nice thing about the 390 is instant access to the starboard walk around deck from the helm.

Good point about sleeping at anchor. The 390 is very noisy with hull slap in the staterooms. I am not good with that (but quite a lot of other people are), so we took to using the fold out couch in the salon, which was a nice set up. Fast access to the electronics and helm and the fridge.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom