Old time boater - new to forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Razorbackron

Vessel Name
Companion
Vessel Make
Heritage East 40
Hi Guys,
My wife and I recently purchased a Heritage East 40 Sundeck Trawler to cruise the Great Loop in 2014 and beyond. It has twin 135 Perkins naturally aspirated and cruises at about 8mph comfortably. She has hydraulic steering from both the flybridge and lower helm and an old Robertson 2500 autopilot I'd like to replace. It worked on sea trial but not any longer and it needs to go. Does anyone have an idea on a replacement unit that is not a budget buster and can use perhaps some of the old Robertson installation? That is not a prerequisite but would be nice.

Welcome Aboard! Sorry I can't help you with the autopilot.

A few hints for dealing with this forum, what ever you do don't ask which is the best anchor! (the anchor you use is wrong and too small). Don't admit it if you use a combination rope / chain anchor rode. Don't ask if you should carry a gun on the boat.

Watch out for R.T. Firefly, he's smart but a little crazy.
RTF, a little welcome video please.

A few hints for dealing with this forum, what ever you do don't ask which is the best anchor! (the anchor you use is wrong and too small). Don't admit it if you use a combination rope / chain anchor rode. Don't ask if you should carry a gun on the boat. Watch out for R.T. Firefly, he's smart but a little crazy. RTF, a little welcome video please.
This needs to be a standard message to all new members, :thumb:

This needs to be a standard message to all new members, :thumb:

Now you tell me :D:D

Now to answer the op's question. You will want to buy another Simrad/Robertson AP. Couple of reasons, this way you can use the existing hydraulic system, if budget is a major concern you can find the newer components on the used market. Simrad/Robertson is considered one of the best AP's on the market. I updated mine a few years back, easy to do as a DIY as well, especially if your not changing the hydraulics.

Mark

Welcome, No auto pilot here either, but welcome.
Good thing Hopcar spoke up, had I, the post you would not have seen would be my welcome!!
Al
:lol::lol:

+2 Go Simrad, you won't regret it. Keep an eye out on ebay for systems without a pump since you already have one. Or buy new. You can get a AP-24 with everything besides pump for~$2000.00 BTW Welcome aboard :thumb:

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
My wife and I recently purchased a Heritage East 40 Sundeck Trawler to cruise the Great Loop in 2014 and beyond. It has twin 135 Perkins naturally aspirated and cruises at about 8mph comfortably. She has hydraulic steering from both the flybridge and lower helm and an old Robertson 2500 autopilot I'd like to replace. It worked on sea trial but not any longer and it needs to go. Does anyone have an idea on a replacement unit that is not a budget buster and can use perhaps some of the old Robertson installation? That is not a prerequisite but would be nice.

Obviously, repairing the AP2500 would be the easiest. This might be a very low-cost option for you.

If you want an affordable upgrade, for about $1,500 - $1,750 you can often find a used Simrad AP20/21/22 series with a J300X junction box. Purchase a used RFC25 rate compass, new RF300 rudder angle sensor and the necessary Robnet cables and you are good to go. These are generally pretty available on eBay.

You likely have an RPU100 pump installed that should work, check with Simrad first though. You will save the labor of a pump and installation, but you will still need to install new cables so the labor will start to be a factor.

The simplest installation would be a current Simrad AP2401/2402 which can be had for a street price of around $2,600 - $3,000 or so. Again, this will likely work with your existing pump, but it is a thoroughly modern system with all the bells and whistles.

Just throwing some ideas out there for you. I have used a lot of Simrad equipment over the years and have found it both easy to use and very reliable, if properly installed and maintained.

Good luck,

Larry
m/v Boomarang

Older (maybe newer ones too) Raymarine systems would work with your pump as they just put out 12V +/_ to drive the pump. The new coputer would just have to put out the amps necessary or you would have to rig a solenoid.

Your rudder feedback and compass may be proprietary to Simrad but not sure of the language they put out.

Just checked ebay...you could get a Raymarine 6000 series head (that's what I have but that's only one station) for around $400, a compass for another $99 and a rudder feedback for $150....and use your old pump. It's the same system I have and it's worked just fine for the last 4000 miles or so of ICW travels.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome info and the good tips on my A/P dilemma. Simrad seems to have a good name in the industry so I'll call their tech support and ask how much of this current install I can use in something new. I think I'd be throwing good money after bad to try to repair this old antiquated system piece by piece. Better to bite the bullet now and go new components. We recently came across the NE Gulf from Carrabelle to Clearwater without the A/P (24 hours straight of hand steering) and the unanimous vote was to get it done!

Greetings,
Welcome aboard.....Ah....Welcome video?????
Boyd2ZC.gif

Thanks for the welcome info and the good tips on my A/P dilemma. Simrad seems to have a good name in the industry so I'll call their tech support and ask how much of this current install I can use in something new. I think I'd be throwing good money after bad to try to repair this old antiquated system piece by piece. Better to bite the bullet now and go new components. We recently came across the NE Gulf from Carrabelle to Clearwater without the A/P (24 hours straight of hand steering) and the unanimous vote was to get it done!

Robertson was the go-to pilot with a few others for many years.

In the last decade though...others caught up fast and Simrad's merger sure saw an oscillation in their quality over the last decade or so.

While I understand people's brand loyalty...having worked for a marine electronics firm I say lots of commercial boats with bits and pieces of many brands and non-marine pumps, etc that worked just fine for guys who go to sea every day in conditions most here (including me) would gladly sit out.

RTF, Even when you got nothing, I get a laugh.

I'am looking at adding AP, Si-Tex has a unit that will work on my boat I think it's a SP-70. It doesn't steer the patterns some fishing boats wants but will do want I want is hold a course so I don't have to hold the wheel and make corrections for every change in wind or current. The best part is the complete system minus the hoses is under $1400.00 if you do some shopping. It may be worthwhile to have a tech troubleshoot your present system the problem may be simple to repair, I wouldn't scrap it till I was sure. Here is a link to a seller for the Si-Tex unit, I've never done any business with them http://bethel-marine.com/Sitex_Autopilot1.htm

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom