Quick fix for teak decks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fotoman

Guru
My teak deck leaks badly under the cockpit area. When I had the boat surveyed last fall the surveyor did mention the plywood under the teak was rotten. So no surprise there and my plan is to remove the teak and reglass in the Fall. Meanwhile, is there something I could do to reduce the leaks? Some product I could pour on the deck?

What ever you decide to use .
*Remember you have to get it all off when you reglass.

There are products like Glove it. Once again it all has to be removed I would try caulking all the fittings where there is a leak. You could even try a good coat of paint.*

You won't stop them all but if you are going to redo it,**
And if you have elected to use fiberglass.

It has got to be clean to get a proper bond.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 17th of May 2010 12:16:26 PM

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 17th of May 2010 01:53:18 PM

I'm not familiar with Glove it. Didn't find anything on the Web. Got a link?

Sorry, *GLUVIT BY marinetex I think.

Problem with it is polyester resin won't stick to it caus it's epoxy. That's why I said you have to get it all off when you re do the deck. If you don't mind grinding** Go for it***
*If you wern't aware you boat is more than likely made of pol resin not epoxy.* epoxy sticks to poly not vice versa.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 17th of May 2010 01:06:22 PM

Fotoman, I would suggest you have the boat shrink wrapped and start the proper repairs. Anything else is going to be a waste of time and money and the inner decks will continue to deteriorate and damage inside the boat will continue. You can have it shrink wrapped in the water if you like. Putting it off and attempts at partial repairs is only going to make things worse, and worse means more money. Chuck

Every winter I make a support frame out of PBC 1 plastic pipe to support a tarp coving the front deck to the Portuguese bridge.* The trap is secured with bungee cords.

Capn Chuck wrote:

Fotoman, I would suggest you have the boat shrink wrapped and start the proper repairs. Anything else is going to be a waste of time and money and the inner decks will continue to deteriorate and damage inside the boat will continue. You can have it shrink wrapped in the water if you like. Putting it off and attempts at partial repairs is only going to make things worse, and worse means more money. Chuck
Our summer lasts about 2 months, I certainly won't spend that precious time under a tarp. As mentionned above,*the proper repairs are planed for the Fall. Just looking to minimize the problem for the time being.

lay down thin sheets of plywood, caulk and fasten to the teak. I would do what chuck said tho. maybe have some nice canvas made to enclose the aft/ side decks when it rains.

Fotoman wrote:

My teak deck leaks badly under the cockpit area. When I had the boat surveyed last fall the surveyor did mention the plywood under the teak was rotten. So no surprise there and my plan is to remove the teak and reglass in the Fall. Meanwhile, is there something I could do to reduce the leaks? Some product I could pour on the deck?

There is a guy in tha marina that has the same issue, he cleaned the deck and coated with Dura DEK or something like it to make water proof decks ( over plywood)* on homes, should last the season then rip it off in the fall

Friend of mine bout a boat with leaky teak decks in 1998. covered the leaky decks "temporarily" with sunbrella, while attending to other more urgent repairs. Sunbrella still in place.

Meanwhile, is there something I could do to reduce the leaks?

Roof repair Tar is the cheapest , just lay a canvass on it for the 60 day season.

We have the pilot house and the stern canvas enclosed, and if we could afford the front deck would be*canvas enclosed during the 9 months of rain.**the areas stay dry enough to store and due projects.* *

I elected to re fasten, re calk *and seal our teak decks as the teak wood and support structure was in good shape.* Rather than remove the deck.* Teak decks are great if they are maintained as they give plenty of warning signs.* Its the teak deck but the previous owners that caused the deck failure.* So you might want to look are repairing and maintaining them.*

I use Dailys Teak oil/Sealer as it is thin/runny to get down in the cracks, but it dries hard, but the large/major areas have be re fastened and calked.

A quick fix that I've used is flowable silicone available from the auto supply houses. It will run down into a crack then cure up. Probably not good for the entire deck though.

Back
Top Bottom