Ok then son...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wilson

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
COWBUOY
Vessel Make
1974 chb
Just started working on a 1974 chb. Finished cutting out the old rusted gas tanks today. Plan on wiring next. After that the whole #$%!% thing needs sanded and painted/varnished. Good bones but it needs some work. Anyway, I've been taking before and aft pics, so at some point I may post them. What I had to do and why, why I did this instead of that. Anyway, nice to know there is a place to get chastised for doing what I'm doing. Or some damn thing...
Boat is on the hard for the next couple months. I'll have so many questions as you can imagine. First trawler.

Wilson

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Let the games begin...

dolly-wink.gif

I should have known you people don't sleep....... After reading this forum the past few days I can't even sleep. Love it.

Wilson

Damn, your going to do it in a couple of months! I'm on year 4 or 5 I can't remember but working and stuff keeps getting in my way. Post some pictures and welcome to the TF. Paul

Good luck with the project. I hope you are able to splash her again soon. What material are you installing for the new tanks? I think my biggest regret is not taking enough pics when i was in the process of redoing. I still have miles to go so i suppose i could start now.

GOOOD LUCK!

I never finish a project without starting a half-dozen others. Cruising…what's cruising. I thought owning a boat was just so you could work on it.

Welcome. You obviously have far higher skills than I do to take on a project like that.

Clint Eastwood said it very well in one of his Dirty Harry movies....

"A man's got to know his limitations."

I certainly know mine, and that's why I didn't buy a boat that needed major work.

Keep us posted.

Good bones is right. Slow Flight has had many upgrades including new fuel, water and holding tanks, heating system, galley upgrades and nav gear. Was it worth it? Absolutely. She is a very strong, sea worthy, dry (no offence GB's but I like a dry windshield) cruiser. Yes it takes time and money. Did I mention money? But in the end, you know every nut bolt and washer in the boat. And that relates to confidence. Most CHB's are great boats with good bones.

Well...Not sure what material I'll go with for fuel tanks yet. Gonna talk to a fab shop soon to see what kind of $ I'm going to spend on metals. Plastic tanks have been talked about, would rather not go that way though, but again, I guess it would work for now. Time frame, hmm. Yeah, I would like to get out of the yard in 3 months. I'm trying to get everything that the marina would kick me out for done there ha. There is a lot of work that can be done in the water later, but it needs paint badly and the rails have to come down to wood as they are trashed. The teak deck is trashed, gonna pull it all and glass it. I wish I could afford to buy a boat that did not need work, but I do enjoy the work so its good, and when I'm done I'll know ever inch of this boat, and probably wish I didn't. My knees already wish I didn't.... Anyway, thanks for the well wishes all. At some point in the future I hope to put all the pics and story online as a warning to others..ha

Welcome Wilson

That's it! Work on it, at least you have one. I have been working on mine effectively since 08/01/08. it looks like now is over...I will put it on the water soon...April, I hope!

Portuguese

Back
Top Bottom