At the beginning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snakeriveridaho

Veteran Member
Hello everyone.

Writing to introduce myself. My name is Kirk Peterson and I live in Buhl, Idaho on the Snake River. Married with 2 teenage kids. We have had a 21' fishing boat with a 225 HP outboard but we sold it last year. We only had it in the ocean a couple of times, out of Shelter Cove, California Salmon fishing. Otherwise it was all reservoirs and rivers

We are going out on our first Trawler in May. We having 2-3 days of instruction followed by a 10 day flotilla with San Juan Yachting out of Bellingham. We are going to be on a 37' Nordic Tug named Kingfisher.

Our plan is to charter for at least a couple of years and then, hopefully, get our own trawler.

I have enjoyed the forum and appreciate all of the comments.

Hopefully we will see some of you all around the Puget Sound (and elsewhere)!

Kirk

Welcome Kirk! Sometime soon I will be doing the Lewiston Trip from the lower Columbia...

Hello everyone.

Writing to introduce myself. My name is Kirk Peterson and I live in Buhl, Idaho on the Snake River. Married with 2 teenage kids. We have had a 21' fishing boat with a 225 HP outboard but we sold it last year. We only had it in the ocean a couple of times, out of Shelter Cove, California Salmon fishing. Otherwise it was all reservoirs and rivers

We are going out on our first Trawler in May. We having 2-3 days of instruction followed by a 10 day flotilla with San Juan Yachting out of Bellingham. We are going to be on a 37' Nordic Tug named Kingfisher.

Our plan is to charter for at least a couple of years and then, hopefully, get our own trawler.

I have enjoyed the forum and appreciate all of the comments.

Hopefully we will see some of you all around the Puget Sound (and elsewhere)!

Kirk

Great way to go about things. Training, flotilla, chartering. We got started in ocean boating about a year and half ago. We'd spent all our prior time on a lake. And we have done a lot of chartering, which was of great help in deciding what boat to buy.

Welcome aboard, SRI! Well you're a long way from deep water. I passed through your area last fall on my way through Double Dribble (aka Twin Falls) to Jackson. Always enjoy my time in your part of the country.

Are you planning a move toward the coast or commuting to salt water? Sounds like a fun and educational plan for your May-cation.

Kirk, Welcome aboard. We're about 6.5 hours up the highway from where you are...just a hop, skip and a jump. You're doing this the right way like BandB mentioned.

When you get your trawler are you going to be bringing it up the Columbia and the Snake to be closer to your home turf? There's some mighty pretty boating between Puget Sound and the upper reaches of the Snake.

I've done the trip from here to Lewiston. Some of those canyons you go through are pretty spectacular, and the dams on the Snake are fun too.

If you do come this direction I can find you a place to overnight here if you want.

Hi Kirk. When you head over here to Bellingham get in touch. We are just around the corner from your charter company. If you like a good beer Boundary Bay Brewery is just up the road as is Chuckanut Brewery.

Bob

Hi Kirk!!
just to tell you...
Teenagers do not like trawlers, generally, they like speed.
A good idea should be to have a fast zodiac to compensate with 15hp or 20hp outboard.

Thanks for all the greetings!

We have no plans to move closer to the coast. Luckily, I have a good job with good time off and my wife and I love the drive from The Snake River Canyon to the coast. We have a truck camper and there are plenty of places to visit along the way.

Flywright, we are not planning on moving to toward the coast anytime soon. We love living in south central Idaho. It would be nicer if it was closer to the coast. I have a good job and a good home, so we are staying put. We would like to take a trip the Colombia sometime. Our old boat was a NW Jet outboard. We bought it there in the Tri-Cities (Pasco) and had it out on the Colombia a couple of times. We love the area around there. My brother lives in Lewiston.

Thanks for the invitation for a place to bunk GFC, i appreciate it. I believe we are going to be in a hurry to get to the coast this trip out. I will keep it in mind though and I reciprocate the offer if you find yourself in the Magic Valley.

Bob,it would be great to go out for a beer. I always like to try out the local breweries. If we are free a night/afternoon I will check with you. We have only been to Bellingham one time. We drove up for the day from La Conner. What a great place.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom