New from Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bel Canto

Vessel Name
Wahoo
Vessel Make
Mainship 40
Hi Y'all

My wife and I are former sailors who have cruised the South Pacific in our Ted Brewer designed pilothouse cutter, Aquarelle.

We now own a Mainship 40, currently for sale (Yachtworld, Galveston). We do not like the GICW, much preferring open ocean where it is harder to run aground and the autopilot works (we are lazy).

We hope to be able to cruise directly from Galveston to Florida, in comfort and without fuel stops. Our current favorite is a Nordhavn 46 flybridge, but are open.

I have been researching paravanes and am amazed at the "loyalty" some have to various stabilizer set-ups.

Wait till you see the loyalty for trawler brands and types...:eek:

....for what you want...fortunately the selection may be a bit smaller unless hugging the coast but still offshore is OK....then almost size and design will work.

I cannot agree with you more about the GICW... What a nightmare. Much prefer straight across. I'll be interested in what you find. Also a Texan here....

Welcome! Sounds like we have the start of a Texas - Florida flotilla.... count me in! Everyone should have to do the GICW once just so they can really appreciate everything else!

Bel Canto-here comes the brand loyalty PS mentioned! I would take a close look a Krogen. If you are looking at a new boat, the new KK 52's and 55's are pretty spectacular. If used, several great 48's are on the market. Great boats, will do everything you want, and are better looking than the Nordy's (IMHO of course for all the Nordy owners!).

BTW-welcome aboard!

Hi Y'all

My wife and I are former sailors who have cruised the South Pacific in our Ted Brewer designed pilothouse cutter, Aquarelle.

Welcome aboard. Sent your opening sentence to friends aboard "Aquarelle" a sloop based in St. Lucia.

While I agree with you on the ICW, there are times I miss he convenience of someplace to stop and provision every 25 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom