Slick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhmeissner

Guru
Vessel Name
The Promise
Vessel Make
Roughwater 35
So I was puttering around today, ran the FL120 up to temp. against the dock lines. Not sure what "normal" is really. This is at about 800 rpm:

img_214213_0_69c283427a4a1c09f790543ca538d18f.jpeg

No smoke to speak of, but the is an oil contribution to the lake. Thoughts?

sure it was oil or just diesel?... I think oil should have had a much more rainbow appearance....

Oh, maybe unburned diesel? It did increase as I throttled up. Perhaps I just need a good long run to sort things out?

does it go away when the engine is warmed up or if you increase the load?

Nope, I took the pic after warmed up, if I increase the load it gets worse.

This is between 1100-1200 rpm:
img_214240_0_886985500938dcbe07e3451ec3656568.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe a turbo seal. Hope it is not more serious.

If that's a Lehman, it's normal. It's a bit embarrassing but it will evaporate. It's the British contribution to global whosis.

If you have your injectors rebuilt some of that will go away. Adjust your valves. If you can, warm up at 1000 rpm.

Looks more like oil than diesel...but very hard to tell...usually after being warm there is a "slight" amount of diesel in the exhaust and it is way less than when cold so if more upon throttling up it's really not normal in y experience.

If oil not sure what it might be but not good...if diesel maybe injectors but that amount when warm isn't good in my estimation.

good point by Capt Jerry...if your coolers are more than a couple years old pressure test them or replace and see if it lessens to a little which would be considered "normal"...of course if the injectors haven't bee serviced in years...not a bad idea either.

Last edited:
Looks more like oil than diesel...but very hard to tell...usually after being warm there is a "slight" amount of diesel in the exhaust and it is way less than when cold so if more upon throttling up it's really not normal in y experience.

If oil not sure what it might be but not good...if diesel maybe injectors but that amount when warm isn't good in my estimation.

good point by Capt Jerry...if your coolers are more than a couple years old pressure test them or replace and see if it lessens to a little which would be considered "normal"...of course if the injectors haven't bee serviced in years...not a bad idea either.
you could also put a jumper on the coolers and see if it stops,the tranny has a cooler also,check the oil in the engine and tranny and see if it went down?

Dave

On the one hand Cyclone from Paynters Bay won't threaten to shoot you you since you don't run your engine with coolant. But on the other hand he hasn't yet spoken on how oil losers should be treated. :hide:

I'll get all those things checked out soon. The engine starts and runs good, I want to keep it that way. Serves me right for buying a 40 year old boat I guess. But I did love my McCormick WD-6.
img_214468_0_d1a685349e15212ee0e95da8dde148d2.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom