Answer Your Cell Phone Like A Home Phone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep in mind when dumping your land line for cell or VOIP service that you are no longer pinging an address back to 911 dispatch services. In other words you must be able to tell them where you are located for a response.

That little nugget was passed to me a couple years ago by a good friend who is the manager for 911 dispatch in our county. A problem they are working with providers to find a solution for.

NSA knows where you are! :D

Being we been a live a board for 17 years, the only phones we have had is cell phones. We do not chase after the phone, and will not answer unless we know/recognize the number. We were also one of the first to have a portable PC, electronic charts on a PC, satellite TV, and wifi/broad band. The only hard wire to land is the shore power cord.

I once heard explained - The cell phone is for my convenience, not yours.

Roger that!

I had an early start with mobile phones, requiring a Motorola RCC for my work in Canada in the 70's. When I no longer was required to be on standby, I opted out of carrying a phone with me, and haven't had a cell or mobile for the past twenty years.

I am now re-considering this and may pick up an i-phone or something equally trendy.
Or maybe not.

Well Im happy to report that now that we have had the http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073W729K/ref=cm_sw_su_dp phones for awhile they work better than expected. They system:

1. Unit will link to two cell phones (with different phone numbers) and you can answer either form any of the handsets (up to 6 handsets).
2. You can download the contacts from the cell phone into the base unit (up to 3000 numbers) and dial a contact from any phone.
3. When the phone rings what you hear from the handsets is the ringtone fro the cellphone that is ringing.
4. When the phone rings you hear the ring tone then if the caller is in your contacts it announces the caller by name.
5. We have one handset a 100 feet from the base unit and the reception and transmissions is acceptable (better if you are closer).
6. When you come home you simple put your phone in a location within say 30 feet of the base unit and it automatically Bluetooth connects the base unit to your cell phone.
7. The handsets have great displays with big fonts.

All in all I have been amazed at the value received for a little over $100. I have no connection to amazon or panasonic.

We will definitely put the same system on the boat (just with less handsets)!

Norm
Quiet Company
Great Harbour GH47

Sent from my iPad with big clumsy fingers using Trawler

Attachments

• image-2698196731.jpg
    image-2698196731.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 77
  • image-1100357929.jpg
    image-1100357929.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 63
We had the Panasonic system on the boat for all the reasons mentioned and were very happy with it, then doing the reverse, putting one in a house when we swallowed the anchor and moved back to a land home. One thing I didn't see mentioned was it is an excellent intercom system, each handset can be named (salon, galley, flying bridge etc). I had a nice Charles C Phone system on board, which had a clunky way of tying into cell phones but discontinued it once we got the Panasonics, the wireless handsets being so much more handy than the fixed ones.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom