View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #14
db2
Veteran Member

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Wiggle Room
Vessel Model: Spendrift 58
I recently passed on a Californian 43 CPMY with a rotted stringer but otherwise in good shape. The surveyor said about 30k to fix the stringer and I think he may have been low. It was a fresh water boat and the thinking was that when the trim tabs were screwed into the stringers it allowed fresh water to leak in and start the rot process. I spent several hours in the engine room with a ball peen hammer tapping the stringers for hollow sounds. The suspect stringer sounded hallow and I am sure that the wood was rotten from the engine, under the aft cabin and to the transom. The floor in the aft cabin showed some distortion. Think about this, it would not be an in the water repair and the boat would need to hauled out for quite some time to let things dry out, to destroy the sole in the aft cabin and to cut the stringer open to find god only knows what. The hull would need to be carefully supported on stands so that no preload was placed in the stringer area and so that the hull was back to as built shape. I did not walk away from this deal, I ran.
db2 is offline   Reply With Quote