bow thrusters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My last was $80 per hour but estimated "30-40 hours" to swap the water hoses and pump on my Lehman.. My slow ass with bad tools could learn it and do it 4 times in that amount of time.

Was it the marina? or a marine servive that also calculates travel time to/from job and to/from parts stores?...

Where I'm from Diesel shops charge around $300/hr including travel. marine services are down around $75-$100/hr and include travel if more than say 15-30 minutes. Marinas don't include travel but charge $75-80 for non-skilled labor, and $120-$150/hr for skilled labor. These numbers jump around depending on how clever and cuthroat everyone wants to be.

Some of the really good ones plastic wrap your rugs/furniture near hatches and spend a bit of time cleaning up nicely...usually the high end guys and that's what you are paying for. I know people that complain about the cheap guys then hire cleaners to come in and clean up after a mech ....that probably boosts the hourly rate by $20 or so on average.

Last edited:
Psneed - this was Neuse River, NC. I already bought the hoses. Plus I was on the yard where the guy had his shop. Nothing in writing, no detail. Was told he was really good by a few people, but pricey. So what he gave in rate, he made up in exaggerated hours. I asked him that his hours seemed high, his reply was he'd rather start high and come in favorable at the end. Maybe so, but trust was lost on that day due to his flip attitude and silly time estimate.

They installed four large 12V batteries so I have two in parallel and two in series for a 24V operation and lots of battery reserve.

Great , but what is Da Book RUN time limit for the unit according to the mfg?

When I read all thes posts on how mechanics and shops are "ripping people off" with their high labor rates, it makes me wonder what they do or did for a living. Myself, I own a pretty nice boat because early on I learned how to do things that most people were incapable of doing for themselves (correctly) and I was well paid for it.

Remember, the person you are paying has spent a lot of time learing how to do what you are asking him to do and may have a lot of money invested in tools and equipment. He may also be paying for a shop, help, taxes, and other government imposed fees.

Unskilled or semi skilled work like washing or waxing a boat or scraping bottom paint may be good jobs to do yourself to save money. Others, like internal work on your diesel engine are best done by professionals with training and experience in the field. You can easily make matters worse by doing something wrong.

WesK, while what you say is all true & valid; I have experienced the "Skilled Rate" done by the "Unskilled" labor. People just except that as normal. I say "I may Be slow, but when done I know it is right" You cannot even embarrass some of these so-called experts. At the end of the day, they got your money and you have problems.

WesK, while what you say is all true & valid; I have experienced the "Skilled Rate" done by the "Unskilled" labor. People just except that as normal. I say "I may Be slow, but when done I know it is right" You cannot even embarrass some of these so-called experts. At the end of the day, they got your money and you have problems.

Good point and a reason to go with a marina that has "shops" with supervisors and not just the marinas that have "a shop" with a yard and/or service supervisor....those are the ones that sent the "available person" to do many jobs instead of the "correct" person.

When I worked for a large, well known dealership as a training/delivery captain....the service department decided to use me more and more as a service tech when they were busy.

Their idea of using me (I got paid about 1/2 of what the diesel mechanics got) was to have me go out and swap parts from one engine to the other to see if it resolved the problem. 9 times out of ten it would and the marina saved a bundle as the problem was easily resolved and they trusted me to make sure the good disturbed engine was retuned to service at or better than I found it. Unfortunately not every tech had the work ethic I am used to so using other techs like me wound up costing the marina and the customers.

I really have little respect for the marine business in the area of the country I'm from and much of the area I cruise. I don't always blame the individuals but I blame the whole system of seasons, strangling EPA requirements for dredging, greed at levels outside of the lower levels, etc.

For what you often get versus what you pay for is not as even as it should be. I'm not saying the great marine mechanic service guy, sole proprietor in a van shouldn't make a great living...not at all...but he better have the ethic and performance that goes along with it. Plus the marinas that are charging the same rate as the one next door when they have the water turned off, the wifi doesn't work, no able TV, and the rest rooms are a mess...gimme a break...how can the one next door do it or lower your price as the service doesn't meet the standard.

Yep...boating is rampant with bad service for the dollar...but it is hit or miss so praising or condemning has to be pretty specific to be accurate.

I can see Ben's frustration with a sky high quote and yet the guy next slip over here was just telling me he got a lowball estimate on rebuilt engines and found after the fact that a full repower was not that many dollars more.

It's never easy unless you are nearly as exert as everyone you employ to do something for you.

Here's a shot of what it looks like ... from the inside of the hull.

The port side of the tube looks like it is barely bonded and the starboard side looks like it has half a can of spray foam with a thin coating of resin over it ...

What kind of material is the tube?

....... I say "I may Be slow, but when done I know it is right" ........

That's only true if you actually know how to do it right. I can't count the times when I was working that I was called on to fix something that another person had attempted to fix.

We have greatly different levels of skill on boat projects and only you can guess what your skill level is. In my experience, lots of folks get this wrong.

The other side of the coin is, a "professional" is someone who gets paid to do work. Not all professionals are as skilled as they should be or say they are so you need to check on their reputation and refferences if possible. I've been burned by "professionals" myself.

That's only true if you actually know how to do it right.

Or when to not do it, and call in the pro.

I typically err on the side where I think I cannot do something. I'll fret over a project thinking how complicated it is, then once into it, I am slow and meticulous, sometimes backing up and repeating a step.

I trust my anxiety and step-wise approach most days to the pro who might be looking to run up cost.

Note - the one guy is not the majority I have experienced, he just left a bad memory.

Also that is exactly where boards like this come into play! Usually more than one person responds to a DIY Question giving the OP a lot to think about IE: his skill level, tools needed, what makes the most sense, ETC. THEN they can determine which course of action to follow. One of the Great things about the Boating community is that there are always other boaters willing to teach & help each other.

We have two 10HP Sidepower 12v thrusters they seem to push our 85,000+lb Nordy no problem.

Sorry if I derailed from thruster installation. On that topic, if anyone has pics of their install and steps, they'd be much appreciated. Thanks!

Buy a steel rod (I used stainless) bent into a "J" with the short end sharpened to a point. The bend should scibe a circle the same diameter as the tube.

Insert the long end through both 1/4" holes and rotate to scribe the shape with the sharp end. Then I cut it out with a jig saw.

and a series/parallel switch from a tractor for $150, $20 for a relay from an auto parts store and If I remember the tube was about $300 and the J-rod from a local machine shop for $30

Boat poker hope you are still on board I am late to the party but am just installing a side power 8hp 24V in a 37 her shine. It's the 8" tube. How did you bend the rod to the exact diameter? I'm thinking two 90 degree bends one half the diameter of the tube OD with a hammer on the anvil but it would be easy to be off by a little. Any tips? BTW you don't still have the rod do you? There is a video on side power using a die grinder. Ps I like the magnet idea. Exactly where I'm at.

I'm thinking two 90 degree bends one half the diameter of the tube OD with a hammer on the anvil but it would be easy to be off by a little. .

You got it right. If you get it close the first time it does not matter if you have to bend the short arm back and forth a bit if your point is sharp it's easy enough to do.

I just did it on my new boat too but threw the rod away. Photos at Our New Boat

OK thanks, looks like you have quite the project! Great Work. I just updated my blog with a lot more pics. Ill post the bow thruster ones as I go.

Here are a few Pics of the install so far. There are more pics on the blog link below under Bow Thruster. I plan to do the casting and shaping soon. More to come.

IMG_3013.jpg

IMG_3020.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

IMG_3043.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

Where is the boat? Installed 7 hp Sidepower on our boat last Spring. Saved my bacon in some real tight areas with current and wind.

My inelegant put effective solution to the hole scribing/cutting jig.

Attachments

• IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 78
My inelegant put effective solution to the hole scribing/cutting jig.

I beg to differ...it has a 'grab whatever's at hand' simple beauty to it :thumb:

Imagine the overcomplicated monstrosity a team of NASA engineers would have come up with :eek:

Some installations are cheaper than others.

Attachments

• BowThruster.jpg
    BowThruster.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 53
Sidepower is making an external pod type bow thruster. Has anyone had any experience with one? The install looks pretty easy in comparison to installing a tube. It can also get the thruster deeper and further forward so you get less cavitation and more effect due to being further forward. They also make an intellegent controller so you can use the thruster longer without overheating. Also you can set it to hold the boat along side the dock while you get off to tie it up if you have both a bow and stern thruster.

Back
Top Bottom