Rookie on board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klee wyck

Guru
Vessel Name
Domino and Libra
Vessel Make
Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
Have been a visitor for awhile. Just making it official.

Welcome aboard, KW!

What an interesting boat you have. Just reseached one previously for sale and found this hull shot. Very salty and slippery looking. Love the entire layout and sight lines from the helm. More pics!!

92148_1372598.jpg

Yes, that is a twin sister and was for sale near you at the same time I bought this one nearer to me. Carbon copies other than the passive stabilizers on the CA boat I think.

Klee Wyck

Welcome aboard, and please give us some background on your boat name.

Welcome board! :thumb:

Bay Pelican-the boat name we inherited with the boat but we think it may have come from the name of a book by artist Emily Carr and was the name given to her by the First Nation people from the BC coast. The book was a collection of stories from the time she spent with the First Nations people. It translates to 'Laughing One'. We thought it may be appropriate for us to keep the name for a couple of reasons. For one, after thirty years of prudent behavior, taking a day off from that to buy this boat sure made me feel like laughing heartily and for two, we thought the translation (laughing one) might apply to anyone watching me try to skipper this thing in close quarters.

Flywright- I am going to try to attach a picture of the pilot house to confirm your suspicion about visibility. Very nice to be able to see the things I am about to bump into.

Attachments

• klee wyck pilothouse (640x480).jpg
    klee wyck pilothouse (640x480).jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 145
OK,now that you've figured out how to post pics, is that all you've got?

IMO, that's a really spectacular boat, Bill. For those who would like to see what klee wyck's twin sister looks like, try this link.

more pics

Al,

Thanks for the kind words on our boat. As you would expect, I share this view and I still suck in my breath a little every time I walk up to her even after a year and a half.

This was not exactly the boat we set out to buy but once we went aboard we were doomed to buy her. I will try to attach a few more pics of things we really liked. You already seem to understand the hull so I skipped those. You will notice that there are none of the engine room as that is a pretty brutal place but the systems on the boat are quite 'ship like'. Access to the water is also poor unless you are a trapeze artist but all in all we are quite taken by this boat.

Thanks again,

Attachments

• kw cockpit.png
    kw cockpit.png
    94.9 KB · Views: 449
  • kw salon.png
    kw salon.png
    107.5 KB · Views: 370
  • kw salon2.png
    kw salon2.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 434
  • kw galley1.png
    kw galley1.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 425
  • kw settee.png
    kw settee.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 448
  • kw helm.png
    kw helm.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 429
boat name we inherited with the boat but we think it may have come from the name of a book by artist Emily Carr and was the name given to her by the First Nation people from the BC coast.

Great name

WOW, I can see why you where chosen, that's what usually happens when you find the right boat. Navigating the boat, the key word is SLOW, SLOW, and SLOWER, this will give you the chance to see how the rudder, hull and engine work. Google up "back and fill" technique. Can you post specs for engine , generator, tankage, and a floor plan.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness. She is beautiful. Her name is appropriate. I'll bet she giggles her way through high seas and tight harbors. Lots of personality and I think she found the the right keepers. Congratulations.

(P.S. Everything I know about docking I learned from Rodney Dangerfield and Kurt Russell. Come in fast and hard and most reasonable people will move out of the way. I think it's called klee wyking.)

specs

Thanks HiDHo,

Here are some of the specs you ask about. The main is a Volvo TAMD60C rated at 250 and the generator is a Westebeke 15kw. The genny engine spins the genset from one end and a large hydraulic pump on the other end that fluid powers the thruster and an orbit motor coupled to the main shaft for a get home.
Tankage is big and makes for quite a difference in weight of this boat between wet and dry. Fuel is at 700 gallons, freshwater at 500, and holding at 250. There is a water maker in the engine room that I am contemplating removing for now as one idea to unclutter this engine room. It will be awhile before we venture far enough to run through 500 gallons of fresh water. I would burn a little extra fuel hauling water to make a little more room down there I think. Thoughts on that?
I don't have a schematic of the floor plan handy but will copy and paste below the brokers description from when we bought her. The layout is probably what I like most about it though I have a strong (though pretty uninformed) bias for this steel hull. ( it is probably the hull that makee me think I could be a lifer with this boat). In terms of the layout what I like is the versatility and visibility at the helm and salon. If you open the four folding doors, sliding windows and sun roof at the helm, you are virtually at an outside helm but when you close it up you are quite cozy in full on Winter. Then when you take a couple of steps down to the salon your feet at are about water level but when sitting or standing your view is as if on deck. Walkarounds are at waist level looking out so the floor is effectively full beam. There is also a large screened sunroof here.
I am not thrilled that the owners quarters are an Ozzie and Harriet arrangement so we are most often found in the bow where the pivot berth is double width at the head end. Heads in both.
Layout from listing here:

From the cockpit enter the raised pilothouse through?double bi-fold doors that allow pilothouse to open full width to the cockpit. Two helm chairs?for excellent visibility;?opening windshield?& a sliding sunroof are?nice features.?
Down a curved stairway is the main living space featuring beautiful teak?& curved?interior bulkheads. Very open salon w/ the expanse of windows?& sliding skylight. An L-Shaped Settee w/ storage below located aft?&?starboard,?& an?easy chair to port. Raised?bar area separates the salon from the forward down galley area.??
Moving? forward?& down 3 stairs the?u-shaped galley is?to port opposite a raised?dinette w/ high-low teak table. The dinette also makes into a double berth.? Forward is a private guest?head?& shower to starboard, opposite is the?washer and dryer?& a food?pantry concealed in teak cabinets. Forward is a berth which pivots out into a double berth. Good storage under the berth and?in a large hanging locker.
Aft of the salon down three stairs is the master suite, w/ full head & enclosed tiled shower, twin berths, bench seating area & captains desk w/ a hidden safe.?The curved aft wall w/ beautiful teak?joinery offers storage, a bookcase?&?port-lights.
Entry to the engine room is through a water-tight hatch located near the stairs of the Master stateroom,?w/ a beautiful teak door

Thanks for asking,:blush:

(P.S. Everything I know about docking I learned from Rodney Dangerfield and Kurt Russell. Come in fast and hard and most reasonable people will move out of the way. I think it's called klee wyking.)

Maybe that's what they call klee waking!

Back
Top Bottom