Survival---16 MONTHS adrift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't look at the attachment yet but just wanted to say....... nice boat.

If it is all true a remarkable story. Unfortunately, there appear to be some parts of the story that doesn't fit and hasn't yet been verified. Guess time will tell.

All apparently wasn't lost with this guy.... (Redford reference)....

I'll bet he goes for the 'with propellers' option on the next boat he buys.

Amazing story.

I had a friend whose boat went down about 8- miles off Hatteras in 1982. He and a crewmember were adrift in a liferaft for 31 days. Got picked up about 30 miles north of Abaco by some fishermen. They had some fishing gear but could not catch a fish. They killed a few birds with an oar. He weighed about 220 and when he got rescued weighted about 175. He said they would not have lasted more than another day or two when they were found. He saw his dead father in the raft with him and carried on conversations with him for the last three days! Hard to believe someone lasted 16 months.

I'll be interested in the follow up to this story. I've heard some odd but true stories before but 16 months is pretty extraordinary.

Agree, it'll be interesting to see if this story holds up. Most of you have probably read about the Essex and what it took to survive a mere 90 days. Essex (whaleship) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). "In the Heart of the Sea" is a great read about the Essex.

Last edited:
I agree. There's a lot that doesn't add up:

24' boat and propellerless "engines" (implying more than one). Of course my first question is how/why? What happened to both props that they were both missing?

Then there's the turtle blood.
https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/food-thought/sea-turtles—what-not-eat
While it seems to be an acceptable practice, there does seem to be some risks.

The time adrift is another matter.
I'm a little surprised that by now someone hadn't found him if simply by accident. And unlike being stranded where you could potentially devise shelter, fire, hunt, fish, trap food, collect water, etc., it would seem that between the sun and weather and lack of fresh water, one would be less than likely to survive (adrift) for that long?

I really hope it's true though. He could be a wealth of information for seafarer's.

Last edited:
I had a friend whose boat went down about 8- miles off Hatteras in 1982. He and a crewmember were adrift in a liferaft for 31 days. Got picked up about 30 miles north of Abaco by some fishermen.

I would be interested in a reference to this story too.

This reminds me of the book "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand, the story about Louis Zamperini. Louis was an Olympic runner in the 1936 Olympics, joined the war effort as a bombardier on the B24's. Saw some action in the Pacific before he and his crew were forced to ditch somewhere west of Hawaii. 3 survived the ditching and for the next 45 days they survived in a raft with sharks as their constant companions. After being strafed by a Japanese bomber and several shark attacks they come ashore on a Japanese held island and were taken prisoner. After a year and a half the war was over and he returned to the states having to deal with PTSD because of his treatment as a prisoner. He overcame his emotional issues and became an inspiration to young people for years to come.
A great read by the same author of Seabiscuit.

Do you think he ate his friend? GaryD

I would be interested in a reference to this story too.

Me too ....as almost everything heads for the North Atlantic and over to Ireland/England due to the Gulf Stream when you go adrift North of Cape Hatteras. If in summer...you often get blown back to the East Coast by the prevailing southerlies.

Must have been a really unusual pattern.

Attachments

• florida-YYY.gif
    florida-YYY.gif
    37.8 KB · Views: 105
There are eddies in the Gulf Stream! Look at infrared images and you'd be amazed at where one could end up.

There are eddies in the Gulf Stream! Look at infrared images and you'd be amazed at where one could end up.

I watch a lot of those eddies like a hawk with my tuna/bill fishing friends out of the Cape May area all summer/fall..so does every fisherman in the Mid-Atlantic fisheries/fishing tournaments....the eddies usually and I say usually.... don't head back down that far south...that's why I'd love to hear more on this case...of course I know most we watch are the warm core....

The cold core one's could wander out to sea and south...but that far?...really don't think it was a GS eddy that took the boat south...something more unusual but not as unusual as the Devil's Triangle:D

I also planned and flew numerous SAR cases out of Miami and New Jersey...some of the search areas in Miami by the end of the first week were all the way up off Georgia and South Carolina. Must have been something unusual that has my curiosity

Last edited:
This reminds me of the book "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand, the story about Louis Zamperini. Louis was an Olympic runner in the 1936 Olympics, joined the war effort as a bombardier on the B24's. Saw some action in the Pacific before he and his crew were forced to ditch somewhere west of Hawaii. 3 survived the ditching and for the next 45 days they survived in a raft with sharks as their constant companions. After being strafed by a Japanese bomber and several shark attacks they come ashore on a Japanese held island and were taken prisoner. After a year and a half the war was over and he returned to the states having to deal with PTSD because of his treatment as a prisoner. He overcame his emotional issues and became an inspiration to young people for years to come.
A great read by the same author of Seabiscuit.

As an aside, the film of this true story is currently being filmed here in Queensland even as we speak, directed by Angelina Joli, none-the-less…

Angelina Jolie Directing 'Unbroken' Movie -- Olympian Lou Zamperini's Story

After seeing the last few movies "based" on true stories and then seeing the documentaries and following up with other reports...I wouldn't be to worried that the movie will be too factual.....:D

Look at the documentaries about the Somali pirate takeover that the movie Capt Phillips is based on. Then look at written accounts and followup by what I'm sure are some of the least accurate statements of all....articles on the lawsuit brought about by some of the crewman against the shipping co. and Capt. Phillips.

Wow..I really don't know what happened out there.....except that the event happened.:socool:

I'm surprised a film would be attempted, especially if it accurately portrays the Japanese behavior in the book. Political correctness and all.

Screw political correctness...

A movie like that SHOULD be made to prevent history from repeating itself...

I read as much as I can on ww2 and I am always still amazed at some of the atrocities that the Japanese did in the Pacific and China. Cannibals.. that one takes the cake!

HOLLYWOOD

Rick-I mistyped the distance, it was 80, not 8 miles off Hatteras. I will try and find something for you on the story. I know the Wilmington Star News and the local weekly rag, The Brunswick Beacon had stories on it at the time. If I can find anything I will post it.

After seeing a photo of this guy today, I am not that sure this story is a 100% true. The guy looks pretty chunky in the face to me for a guy that just spent the last 13 months chowing down fish, birds and turtles.

Even if this guy chowed down 3 times a day that is a great deal of protein for someone's body to handle in fact that much protein would have killed him because he took in no carbohydrates and virtually no fat at all.

This guy shows no signs of living that long a drift on the high seas. His skin is pretty clean and clear for being in the open sea as well.

We all know when someone starts to cut weight their face shows the first sign of weight lost but this guy's face looks like a chunky monkey to me. So I am not buying this story. Sorry I think it is all B.S.

Just my thoughts

Happy cruising

H. Foster

Last edited:
He does look fairly well-fed, doesn't he.

Maybe his "friend" was a very big bloke as well.

He does look fairly well-fed, doesn't he.

Maybe his "friend" was a very big bloke as well.

I would have to agree with you on that one. On the other hand I may be wrong. This guy could have weighed 600 pounds 13 months ago!!! :rofl:

Happy cruising

H. Foster

Last edited:
There was a guy that told a story of drifting from California to Costa Rica and living off seagulls and fish but when the dust settled, it was a lie I think.

Found 2500 miles at sea

I think we may discover that he got the year wrong. I could believe dec 2013, but his skin sure looks good for someone in an open boat.

Do we have a medical doctor in the forum?

Could this be bloating from rapid re-hydration or some sort of condition because of a low/no fat/carbohydrate diet? I ask because I've honestly no clue.

The story is getting legs here on the local news. Nobody seems to question it though. I've seen it on several news channels and the announcers believe the story.

Back
Top Bottom