View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 03:35 PM   #27
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Well, here's an update and a lesson learned on my table.

The next day after my 6th thin coat of spray on minwax polyurethane I was suprised to find the finish, while looking nice was gummy.

I was to say the least unimpressed with this. It felt dry to the touch but when I tried to lightly sand it to put on a final coat it gummed up.

So, I took a handy scotchbrite pad soaked in laquer thinner and removed that stuff. It took all of less than an hour and I had my nice table back down to wood.

Well, after some very light sanding I headed to the local store for something better than minwax polyurethane.

Remember my options in Wasilla, Alaska are fairly limited, but I was able to find some old fashioned real varnish, made by a company called Cabot.

Guys, that varnish made the world of difference. I put one good coat on the table a day for three days, sanding with 220 grit in between. With three coats i now have the table I always wanted. The Varnish is 100% stunning.

Steve and others, you taught me a valuable lesson, and I'm glad for your advice, and glad my table didn't have to pay the price for my learning.

Thanks very much
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote