Engine gauge supplier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nightcap

Guru
I'm fitting all new gauges and senders to a landing craft (22 gauges and senders in all) Can anyone recommend a good (cheap) place to supply VDO or similar quality gear that will also export to Vanuatu.
Thanks in advance

Try egauges.com. In Michigan, USA. That's where I get a lot of VDO stuff. Ask them about exporting.

Thanks, their prices look pretty good. I'll contact them, meanwhile, anyone closer to the western seaboard? Not that I guess it will make much difference if they ship UPS.

VDO may require a number of gauges returned under guarentee, be sure to arrange in advance for all the inop units return.

Have had very poor results with VDO in the past decade.

I put new VDO gauges in the lower and upper stations with no problems.

Rob

VDO problems here also.

I have the "quad": Oil, temp. fuel, volts in one gauge. There seems to be a bad connections internally. Indications will be way off, hitting the gauge with my knuckles moves the needles(sometimes) to the correct readings.

They're 15 years old, past warrantee.

Mine were single gauges, tach, oil, water temp and amps. That might be the difference.

Would be 12 years old now. Still going strong acording to the new owner
Rob

Last edited:
Will try to get some sort of warrantee but suppliers usually just laugh when you say you are in Vanuatu.

Would an analog to NMEA 2000 setup be a possibility using the Actisense EMU-1 or Noland RS11? Once that is done, than gauges become logical components on a network and not task specific.

Tom

Good point, I installed an n2k backbone on this vessel a while back for fitting fuel computers. Will look into it further.

Only problem with those gateways is they only have 6 inputs plus tachometer so I will have to get one for each engine as we measure 6 values per engine. Still, with a garmin GMI20 display still looks cost effective against analogue and will allow electronic data logging through ship's PC.

What engine are you pulling the data from?

Another option would be the Lowrance LMF400. It's not as capable as the Garmin gauge, but about 1/2 the price. Maretron just changed their pricing structure on N2K View so it may be a candidate. Look for the recent article on that change on Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub.

Tom

As we'll only require two displays, one for engine room and one for bridge, the extra cost is not really too much of an issue and the Garmin can display a whole lot more info which is what we need.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom