Used Island Gypsy 32

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceanbound

Hi All,

Great forum. I am currently looking at purchasing a 1984 IG 32. It is powered by a Ford Lehman 120hp engine with 3000 hrs. How many hours is usual before rebuild assuming a well maintained engine?

What cruising speed could I expect?

Also is there anything in particular I should look out for in an IG 32? The vessel in question still has teak decks. Is there a history of problems with these?

Any advice would be most helpful!

Hi Oceanbound,
I am not a IG owner but have had some experience with them
With 3000hr and 30 years you would assume some cost in maintenance in the years to come, it is pot luck how much this will be, from just a few bits and pieces to a full rebuild, a good surveyor and oil samples could reveal more.
Cruising speed on a 32ft hull should be abt 7 knots.
Things to check;
Teak decks- Check for spongy areas, as this indicates the substrate has rotted and the fix is to remove the decking above, fix the substrate and then replace with new decking
Window frames are timber, rot then leak
Steel fuel tanks-Rust, leak and then need replacement
Below waterline hull blistering

Hi Gary,
Adding to Scott`s helpful information:
The Lehman can run 10000 hours, they do that and more in charter boats. You can get parts from American Diesel(successors to Lehman), and others, like fredwarner1on ebay for cooling system parts, from USA, at reasonable cost+freight.
Other signs with decks are failing sealant and teak plugs, water incursion below, possibly rusting tank tops. 30 yo. decks are definitely suspect.
Hull osmosis is common and fixable.
Timber windows have inner and outer drainholes, not kept clear rot follows.
The IG32 is well laid out, with good saloon design, ample cockpit, a nice boat. I contemplated one with 2 80hp Lehmans. Get a hull and mechanical survey.

Bob Smith (American Diesel/Ford Lehman) two years ago told me of two FL120s that are still in service and have 80,000 hours on them.

Gary, having seen pics of the boat:
Like the extended flybridge,not cheap to do very useful. FB teak removed is good.
Noted the microwave, if it has a genset, more reason for mech.survey.
No obvious internal water entry staining.
No pics of ER unfortunately. Wonder why.
Stove looks original, mine leaked at the taps/valves, not fixable, replaced it, 1K.
Fresh polish or paint by the appearance.
Decks look original, no pics of exposed fwd areas. Suspect at that age, take care. I redid mine, with bow section in painted non slip f/g.
Transom teak is applied over f/g construction, looks tired. Best revived, but can be painted. If revived, fit a canvas cover for preservation of varnish.
It looks well kept, and/or well detailed. Definitely worth consideration, reasonably priced, presumably negotiable, from an Estate. 32s have a lot of space for length.
Good luck. Don`t hesitate to ask questions.

Back
Top Bottom