Putting your boat to work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
This year for the first time sence 1991 the Alaska Department fo Fish and Game has announced an opener for a*pot shrimp fishery in Prince William Sound.
It took a little work but I got my boat ready so now I am an official Commercial fisherman up here in Alaska.
I leave port this afternoon for a 4 day opener. The permit was only $75.00 and there are quite a few trawlers taking up the call. Alaska Spot shrimp. are retailing for $18.64 a pound for tails.* Processors are paying up to $8.00 a lb for ocean run. The season total is 55,000 lbs. 155 boats in all will be fishing.
Woke up this morning to 5 inches of fresh snow. It's gonna be a real deadliest catch kind of fishing trip.
If you could would you Fish your boat commercially?

SD

skipperdude wrote:If you could would you Fish your boat commercially?
Hell, it's too much trouble even recreationally!* I get mine at the Safeway.*
biggrin.gif

I did get a fishing sticker for the boat, so my friends can fish for Rock/Striped Bass.

But seriously, Deadliest Catch, indeed.* Good luck!

Thanks,
*It should be Fun. At lest I wont have trouble keeping the brown bottles cold.

Weather is calling for 40 kt winds seas to 12 ft. Gonna need the Paravanes out for this one.

If anyone is interested in a report monday when I get back I will do so.
*Wish me luck.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 14th of April 2010 10:30:22 AM

Yeah, good luck on that Skipperdude. I admire your derringdo, and I'll love to see you pics, but I think I'd pass on that myself. I'm getting cold extremities just looking at that.

Frequently fuel is cheaper or taxes rebated fot "commercial" fish boats.

Yep, be looking forward to your report on Monday!!!! Be careful and good luck!!!

Well the first attempt at Commercial shrimping was interesting.
*I first had to get permitted which included A Commercial Fisheries entry Commission Permit.* A catcher Seller permit Which allows me to sell to unprocessed Fish. A Commercial Vessel License. And the Alaska Department Of fish and game Vessel License.
There was a 4 day opener. Sort of a open entry 4 days to catch 55 thousand pounds of Shrimp. 155 boats signed up but only 60 fished. The weather was just plain to nasty.* My boat is pretty good at weather so I did O.K. *It was pretty tough getting to the fishing grounds. 4 hours of 6 footers.* Took only 122 lbs the first day. The Buyer sent a 85 ft tender boat to pick up the catch They didn't arrive near me until after midnight Had to drive 8 miles In gale force winds with just radar and my trusty Garmen to guide me. Sort of like instrument flying Flying with a hood for you*flyers.* Pitch black with snow and rain at the same time. Hooked up with the Tender and sold my catch. $7.00 a pound for ocean run.* We took a total of 195 pounds of shrimp for the 4 day opener.*
' Lost one pot and other wise had an interesting experience. Winter boating is that to say the least.**

Octipus kept getting into the pots. So I would get a pot full of shrimp shells and a fat octipus.* Learned something interesting about the little suckers. When they ink it isn't a cloud like I always thought. It is kind of viscous. like a gob of jelly The octopi squirts it out and it holds the form and drifts off sort of like a fake octipus.*

Any way there is going to be another opener. I more than covered expenses fuel, food and everything else. Including a new pot for the one lost. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow if I can figure out how to transfer them from the camcorder.*

All in all it was Fun Not to say I like the Rodeo style opener. Lots of commercial crabbers died until they introduced the IFQ or individual fish quota. They tell you how many pounds you are allowed to catch nad you have all season to fish.* So I am now the FV Apache 11.*
F.F. I did get a brake on the Fuel. Not much but it helped.

About 20% of the fleet were other pleasure boaters every thing from Bayliners to a Nordhavn* My buddy fished his 36 ft Uniflight.

It's All Good*

SD*

skipperdude wrote:Learned something interesting about the little suckers. When they ink it isn't a cloud like I always thought. It is kind of viscous. like a gob of jelly The octopi squirts it out and it holds the form and drifts off sort of like a fake octipus.*
Did you learn that from the Discovery Channel?* Or by some unfortunate personal experience?*
biggrin.gif

Wow, and I thought I had a rough weekend!

Dude,
You are THE MAN!!! What a trip! I hope you get some pics that you are able to post. Any chance we might see you on a future "Deadliest Catch"?? :)

Putting your boat to work could have some major tax write offs also. I have entertained getting the proper license and training and then offering something like a "Dinner Cruise". You could recoup some of your operating expense and get paid for boating. Sounds great on paper- but not nearly as exciting as what you are doing!!

Naw. the Octipus thing was from pulling the rascals out of my shrimp pots and playing with them on the deck. I had one ink in a bucket of seawater and a Few when we threw them overboard.
My deck hand was a Commercial Dive master as well as a licensed captain in the charter business up here. He told me about it as we fooled around with them. He went along just for the experience.
. little suckers are hard to get out of a bucket. There little sucker arms sure do hold onto plastic good. I thought I was going to pull ther arms off.* I didn't though.*
SD

Actually it was kind of Laziest Catch we set the pots and were only allowed to work from 8:00 am to 4:00pm The rest of the time was holed up in a little cove playing with Octipus. and tending those brown bottles. So we set at 8 pulled at 3 and reset . pulled at 8 the next morning. Reset and so on. It was when we had to go out and pull the fun began.

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 19th of April 2010 03:38:17 PM

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 19th of April 2010 04:36:45 PM

<table bgcolor="#ffffff" width="720" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0"><tbody><tr><td width="120" valign="top" bgcolor="#ffffff"><table bgcolor="#ffffff" width="720" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" border="0"><tbody><tr><td width="700" valign="top" bgcolor="#ffffff"><table width="700" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td width="525"><h1 align="center" class="h1nobreak">Prince William Sound Pot Shrimp Information</h1>While every effort is made to keep this page current, there may be delays in the posting of web page updates. *For the most current announcement/new release information please call our 24-hour recorded-message phone at 907-424-7535 or the Cordova Office at 907-424-3212.
</td><td width="15">*</td><td width="160" rowspan="2" valign="middle" bgcolor="#d3dfd8"><table><tbody><tr><td valign="middle">SELECT GRAPHIC FOR
WEATHER DETAILS

ADF&G does not endorse the commercial site above but provides
this link only for current & forecast weather information.
</td></tr><tr><td>*</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table><h4>Issued Thursday, April 22, 2010</h4><h4>FISHERY ANNOUNCEMENT PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND COMMERCIAL SHRIMP SEASON SECOND FISHING PERIOD E.O. 2-SF-E-04-10</h4>
SEASON, AREA, AND GEAR
The first fishing period of the Prince William Sound (PWS) Area E commercial shrimp pot fishery closed on April 18 and produced a harvest of approximately 13,000 lbs from 109 landings by 68 vessels. Gale force winds during the fishing period affected participation in the fishery as well as fishery performance. Therefore, a second commercial shrimp pot fishing period will open at 8:00 a.m. April 24, 2010 and close at 8:00 p.m. April 29, 2010. The hours that fishing gear can be operated is also increased to 12 hours per day. Shrimp pot gear may only be deployed and retrieved from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. each day. The maximum number of shrimp pots that may be operated from a vessel remains at 20.

Additional logbook forms will be available at ADF&G offices in Anchorage, Homer and Cordova. The department will also attempt to make these available through harbormaster offices in Cordova, Valdez and Whittier.
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>Looks like I am going to give this one more try. Just gonna do a weekend this time Fri to Sun.* I lost some gear (shrimp Pots)* I can't find any in Anchorage. The Processor At FEES seafoods in Whittier told me if I would fish for him he would provide whatever I needed. Heck might as well go fishing. Weather is calling for winds to 10 knts. After last trip It will be a breeze.* I know this is not a Commercial fishing forum So I'll back on this stuff and get back to boating. Any time spent on the water. Right?? Thanks.
SD

Yeah but it's still interesting to read about your experience. Good fishing

The second trip was sure nicer than the first. as a matter of fact it was down right awsom for mid april on Prince William Sound.

Big weather and big seas sure give you an idea of what your equipment can handle. Better yet what you can handle 4 to 6 ft seas and gale force winds are no fun but a man has got to know his limitations. That was about it for me.

We left port on friday night and after doing the obligatory turn and jives to word of the bad mojo of a friday departure.* We proceded to the fishing grounds.* Anchored in a little cove to a notrhern sky so clear and a big 1/2 moon. If you have ever been in the desert at night. It gives you some idea of what it was like.

Up at 5:30. First things first 1/2 gallon pot of perked coffee as the only source of heat on board is the Dickenson Bristol.

The first set was down by 9:00.* The rest of the day was spent anchored and fishing for rock fish. Lunch we tucked into Shoestring cove and were boarded by the Alaska State Troopers to check our permits. another fishing boat came into the cove and proceeded to run aground on a big table rock. We tried to pull him off a couple of times to no avail so it was decided to let the incoming tide handle the problem.

The first pull was dismal I had set one string of pots shallow and the whole thing was empty. pulled the rest and took about 20 pounds of tails we re-bated and reset for the overnight soak.

I* found a ledge at about 400 ft and was able to drop the pots right along the shelf.*
The nex morning we hit the mother load. Some of the biggesat spot shrimp I have ever seen. We pull up another 60# saved the trip.

I have what is called a catcher seller permit which allows me to sell to anyone right off my boat. My accountant purchased a deck hand permit and went with me this trip just for the experience. It's a $60.00 ticket.

He wound up buying 1/2 the catch I sold the rest right on the dock.

I had a bunch of pics but For the life of me I can't figgure out how to attach them is a small version all I get*are these large pics.

These are terrific stories! It's what I come to TrawlerForum for.
Keep em comin!

You need to be more careful with those prawns. They look big enough to be dangerous and might turn on you.

Nice to hear you found some and had a good trip.

*** All and all it was a fun and interesting experience. I didn't really make any money at it but I did break even. After deducting fuel, food, permits, lost gear and the invibements. I made about $200 bucks. The best part is I extended a short boating season by about a month. I had never gone out this early before. Winter stormes in Alaska can be pretty ugly and you have to be prepared to hunker down when they come up. especially the north easters. X-tra food and dry clothes.
**** The best rain gear you can find. I use Grundens. It is what most of the Commercial guys use. Heavy stuff, like rubberized canvas but it will sure keep you dry if you have to be out in it.
**** I admit to being a weekend warrior at this. The fisherie did give some of the people from Cordova a chance at some income. After the Exon Valdez Fishing has not been what it once was.
***** I have decided to relenquish my fishing permit in favor of a personal use permit.
I had all this beautiful shrimp that at $7.00 a pound. I just couldn't see eating it. *
***** They have increased the personal use to 8 pots this year. so I will have lots of shrimp for me and my clan. I have to wait 14 days before I can fish now but thats OK Something about not wanting the commercial guys out prospecting. these things retail at*$18.00 +a pound. *You would be suprised what people will trade for these Spot shrimp. My plumber asked about trading work on my rentals for shrimp.
**** I have never tasted any sweeter. I don't think you will ever see them in the lower 48, One of the many perks of living*on the last frontier. If you do, don't miss it.**
*****If any of you ever make it up here, make a stop in Whittier. Look me up.*We'll go out and haul some pots.
FV Apache II*out standing by on 16.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 28th of April 2010 08:58:57 AM

Very decent of you to forfeit your ability to make money to allow the locals to do so! Cheers!!!

Thanks.*
*** *I make more money running my business. I'm a baker by trade. I own a cookie factory. The way I look at it I broke even had a great experience and 2 extra trips out this year. Plus I have some great stories to tell.

SD

SD,
You are the man!!
Looks like we have two Bakers on the forum:)
Cookie factory. That's cool. Is this a business you started? What type of cookies?

I'm thinking we need an Official TrawlerForum Cookie. Sold by the dozen* and in 2 or 3 flavors. X$/dozen + shipping. Of course SD's picture would be on the box and they would be served only on boat outings.

SD is a salty looking character!

Wait a minut guys.*I'm no Famous Amous. I own a whole sale bakery. We make mostly cookies in 15 different flavors. All the favorites. Chocolat chip, Oatmeal, Peanutbutter and the like. I always have some Ginger Molasses on board for Seasickness.
I don't even have a store. I sell to business. Coffee shops, restaurants cafeteries, grocery stores, Gas stations *and the like.*We do make* some cutout sugar*cookies like salmon shaped ones for the tourists.* I have made a boat shaped cookie for some of the Charter companys.
*Now you know I'm not the old salt you thought I was. Just a baker who's True Passion in life* is all about boats.*
SD

OK,
But here is where I am at. I suggest:
*Having some of the financial guys on board put a business plan together to produce, market and sell Skipperdudes Cookies. They are a boat shaped Ginger Molasses cookie that is sold at West Marine, Cabellas, Bass Pro Shop, etc. for seasickness. They would come in small boxes with the recent SD picture on front.
*Interested forum members could buystock, but the primary start up costs would be recruited from venture capitalists
*Profit would be used to fund travel costs for forum members to an agreed boating function every year. Am I missing anything here?

Dude!!
You crack me up. That's so wild

I was laughing so hard I almost pi**d my pants.

SD

PM me Steve with you address. I'll send you some cookies.

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 29th of April 2010 02:03:32 PM

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 29th of April 2010 08:43:47 PM

Hey, wait a minute...what about exporting some cookies down-under as well? This forum is bigger than just the US of A - much bigger.
PB

SD,
I had to work late and just got in.
Waiting for me was a wonderful batch of cookies! Thank You!
Ginger Molasses, Snicker Doodle and more. The peanut butter brownie looks like it would have to be bad for you!
I am exhausted but wanted to let you know they made it:)
I will PM soon and let you know how much I enjoyed the treat!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom