Seen on Craigslist- for your consideration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bligh

Guru
Vessel Name
Concerto
Vessel Make
1980 Cheoy Lee
NORDIC TUG 42 FOOT $265K!
00l0l_VMu9ZLxl65_600x450.jpg

Anyone know anything about this gal? I think I have seen it around the PNW, unless there are more NT's with a turtle on them. Seems priced fairly inexpensively. Is something wrong with it?

Last edited:
Interesting dinghy winch set up on the Nordic's swim platform.

These are all normal asking prices. It's 2014. Machines depreciate. It's so odd how people understand this when it's applied to automobiles, but for boats, they think it doesn't apply? If you want to see recent comps on cars- go to Mecum.com and look at auction results. Take a look at what fairly late model Bentleys, Rolls Royce, Jaguars, & Mercedes are trading at. Heck, the price of Silver and Gold is down too, and none of the aforementioned sit in a caustic environment.
The only thing I see going up in value is TIME, which is the only thing in short supply.

It seems like a very cheap price for a 42 Nordic. However, the boat is a 1996, so it's almost 20 years old. A lot can happen in 20 years. The engine has 4,600 hours, so, it may be near the end of its useful life (assuming a service life of 25-40,000 gallons). If there is an engine replacement in the near future, it may explain the apparent bargain price.

. The engine has 4,600 hours, so, it may be near the end of its useful life (assuming a service life of 25-40,000 gallons)

4600 hours is the end of the engine's life? That sure seems like a short life.

It seems like a very cheap price for a 42 Nordic. However, the boat is a 1996, so it's almost 20 years old. A lot can happen in 20 years. The engine has 4,600 hours, so, it may be near the end of its useful life (assuming a service life of 25-40,000 gallons). If there is an engine replacement in the near future, it may explain the apparent bargain price.

If one buys into the thought that a diesel is more likely to last if used frequently that motor should go 20000 hrs. 4600 hours just means the boat wasnt a total dock queen. I wouldnt be afraid of it if it was maintained properly.
Hollywood

I'm certainly not a mechanical engineer or mechanic. Everything I've ever read or been told is that diesel engine service life is more appropriately measured by the total amount of fuel consumed and not so much "hours".

For example, I believe the service life of a CAT 3208 is rated at 15,000 gallons, and of a Cummins 5.9 at 25,000 gallons. By that metric, if a boat is run at displacement speeds, e.g. 8 kts and about 2 gal/hr, a 5.9 should last over 10,000 hours. At displacement speeds, Ford Lehmans or Perkins likewise should have service lives of over 10,000 hrs (assuming proper maintenance). On the other hand, a high speed diesel with high turbo boost pressure is a different animal, if it is run at higher speeds, say around 10-15 gal/hr, that would suggest a service life of perhaps 2500 hrs.

I've seen a lot of boats with around 3000 hrs that are in need of new engines (and in one case, diesels that grenaded at less than 1000 hours). The Nordic has a 420 hp engine, I don't know the series or displacement (1996, probably an 8.3 liter), or how it was operated. If the 4600 hrs was at relatively low rpms and fuel consumption, it could have a lot of life left in it. On the other hand, if it was run at 2200-2400 rpm, total lifetime fuel usage could be in excess of 30,000 gallons.

NORDIC TUG 42 FOOT $265K!
00l0l_VMu9ZLxl65_600x450.jpg

Anyone know anything about this gal? I think I have seen it around the PNW, unless there are more NT's with a turtle on them. Seems priced fairly inexpensively. Is something wrong with it?

No idea if anything is wrong with it. It is one of the early ones, as evidenced by the teak doors. Perhaps a reasonable asking price if it is in reasonable shape.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom