Old 01-17-2014, 04:13 AM   #13
kando
Veteran Member

City: Corio
Vessel Name: Kittyhawk
Vessel Model: Careel 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
I guess both of them you are only buying the hull and running gear.
Both require engines.
Low hours on the 671, it's still a 671 and for me out it goes.
Depends on how much work you want to do, what your budget is and where do you want to take the boat.
For a coastal cruiser and not a lot of expenditure they may prove to be ok.
But for anything more I would be looking at something a bit more substantial.
Have you tried Home
Kevin knows his stuff and is worth a ring to see what is available.
Cheers
Benn
G'day Benn,

I do keep an eye on QFB, so far most, if not all the boats I like are steel, or well outside my price range. I trawl the boat sales sites and that's how I find the boats I have on my list. I have not wiped this 51' glass retired Fisheries Patrol boat from my watch list...Even with her twin V12 turbo engines...I know I could not afford to run those babies for 12 hours at a time, so I think I'm fooling myself with that one
Oh well, I'm sure I'll find a boat that fits me...Sooner or later and it may not be a retired fishing boat...Those big donkers put me off. It may well turn-out to be a FC motor-sailor or even a West System Trimaran. We'll see what I end-up with
BTW Benn, I want a boat to live aboard full time, cruise the Australian coast with "perhaps" a trip or two up into S.E. Asia but mostly I would be found around the QLD and Top-End coast, up some river fishing for muddies and/or bara. And fishing the reef when I had a few mates to keep me company. So Benn, am I searching for the right boat with these retired fishing boats or would something like this FC boat be a better choice for me and my needs
My budget for buying a boat, doing any work that needed doing, and insurance, would be around the $60,000 mark. At 71, I don't think I should be spending any more than that for a boat I may only get to use for a few years before I have to go ashore full-time.

Cheers Benn,

Bill
Australia
kando is offline   Reply With Quote