Profile Photo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cat Daddy

Vessel Name
Cat Daddy
Vessel Make
PDQ mv/34
New member here, trying to attach a profile photo. Site says 300 x 300 or 100kb. All my photos are around 1 meg. Is there a way to re-size or modify so I can use them?

Thanks,

Rafe

Thanks Richard, I'll give it a try.

Rafe

Looks like it worked, Cat Daddy. That's a nice looking cat!

All I see on my end is "upload failed". We'll see if it attaches to this post.

Sucess! Thanks for the help.

On my i-mac I use "tools" in the top bar. In the tools bar you'll find "adjust color". You can change quite a few things like exposure, saturation of color, contrast, tint, sharpness and cropping. I "adjust" most all the pictures I post at least to some small degree. Here's an example of extreme "adjustments". First the photo as taken and then the modified one.

If I right click the pic and select "get info" I see that this pic is 1.6MB. Put away the "get info" window and open the pic and select "tools". In the window that appears right under "adjust color" there is "adjust size". I usually select 1280 X 1024 pixels for pics on TF or FB. Select 1280 X 1024 and then select "save" and then click the little red button in the upper left corner. Now your pic should be 200 to 800 KB and post without a hitch.

I went into detail as many others have problems w pics and tend not to ask. And I like to see pics!

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 127 copy.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 127 copy.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 110
  • all to 12-15-09 127 copy 2.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 127 copy 2.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Thanks for that Eric. I now have an iPad, and have noticed the pics as they come are so large that you can only attach one for each post. I had not got round to working out the downsize exercise, so now I know.
Having said that, I think now cat daddy needs to go in and using tools, lighten his pic up, as it is a bit dark to see any detail. Sort of the reverse of what you did to those two examples of yours Eric.

Last edited:
All I see on my end is "upload failed". We'll see if it attaches to this post.

FWIW, every time I've uploaded an avatar pic, I get the same "upload failed" response, yet it always seems to be here when I get here:D

Welcome aboard and I love the cat hull!:thumb:

OD

For an avatar I recommend;

1. adjust color and related features. On the 2nd pic I increased the saturation and temperature about 20%. The sharpness about 50% and left the exposure, contrast, tint and sepia alone. I rarely use the tint and sepia.

2. The cropping is important for an avatar. The avatar is so small not much can be seen of the subject unless the subject is quite large in the picture. So in the 3rd pic I cropped it quite a bit. For a moving vehicle (or one that implies movement) more space should be provided in the direction the vehicle is (or would be) going than where it came from. Cropping out distracting things may be more important. In this case I took out a bit more of the aluminum boat that is close to minimize it's distraction. So I biased the subject a bit more off center than usual to minimize the effect of the other boat.

3. In the tool window far below the color and size option there is "flip horizontal" option so I fliped it 180 degrees. Boats w their apparent or implied movement lead one's eye out or into the picture or/and page that it's on. On a post you want to lead eyes into your post .. not away from it and elsewhere. So point your "vehicle" toward the subject of your post ... your text or other pictures as I did in the 4th pic.

A camera that takes pictures of about 6MB gives one much more latitude when cropping than w say 1MB. You can hold your camera against a pole or other solid object like a post or fence railing for much sharper pics. Using a telephoto lens, holding the camera steady and cropping, amazing results can be had.

As can be seen in the 3rd and fourth pics the thing photographed will not be an honest image of the subject. My cabin door is on the port side but looks like it's on the stbd in the "flipped" picture.

Attachments

• STH71271 copy.jpg
    STH71271 copy.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 107
  • STH71271 copy 2.jpg
    STH71271 copy 2.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 113
  • STH71271 copy 3.jpg
    STH71271 copy 3.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 112
  • STH71271 copy 4.jpg
    STH71271 copy 4.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Again, thanks for all the help. My photoshop skills are nil. I agree the photo was too dark, the sun had set a little too much.

Rafe

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom