Did Drake visit the Canadian Coast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Vikings (misnomer for the Norse, btw..."Vikings" were warriors--the invading Norse raiders that plundered western Europe and the British Isles) are a whole different story...They, led by Leif Erikkson (son of Eric the Red), discovered Iceland and settled it, then Greenland--which actually was Green then--and settled it and then went looking for China and found Canada instead, landing on what's now Nova Scotia sometime around 800, and--because it was also warm and green, established a thriving agrarian society that lasted until around 1300, when climate change that came to be known as the Little Ice Age had cooled things off so much that they could no longer farm, so they abandoned Canada and Iceland Greenland and came home. The Little Ice Age also killed agriculture in Europe, causing famines, which in turn caused people to come into the towns and cities looking for other ways to make a living--which they found along with Black Plague that managed to "thin the human herd" by about 60% ...ultimately leading to the beginnings of the Industrial Revolution as they sought easier ways to make things. Things finally began warming up again around 1800 and have been warming up ever since...till about 12 years ago. Proving that the only thing that's constant is change.

There's all kinds of evidence that the Norse explored all up and down the east coast of Canada.

Hey Fred...what were they supposed to do, walk to Virginia? Sailing or walking were the only ways they could have left, and sailing south wasn't possible in the tall ships of that day in those weather conditions.

Last edited:
Peggie,
"thinning of the heard" has some merit w overpopulation being the root of most of mans problems now.

Last edited:
"thinning of the heard" has some merit w overpopulation being the root of most of mans problems now.

If a journey begins with one step, and you believe in thinning the heard , your first step should be obvious.

W. Wilson and the progressives of that era wanted to end baby production of blacks , browns , Chinese , Irish and Italians .

Hitler used their progressive literature to solve his thinning the heard, starting with Idiots , mental defectives and ,,,,,,,,

Peggie,

Nature will find a way; pandemic, asteroid, Yellowstone blowing its lid, etc. Any of these will be aggravated by our burning idiotic amounts of fossil fuels with the resultant collapse of ocean biodiversity making a bad situation even worse: Ocean Acidification -- National Geographic

Last edited:
So much for this thread. Interesting topic, books to read and now it dives into a smoking pile of crap.

That's not the reason. The European explorers didn't come to NA to colonize...there was no profit in colonization yet. They were primarily looking for routes to China that didn't require sailing around either of the horns...the fabled "northwest passage" Once they found this side of the planet, they started looking for valuable goods that could be exported back to Europe. Gold was at the top of their wish list, but there was soon a very brisk--and very profitable--trade in fish and crops never before seen in Europe--corn and tobacco among others. And contrary to popular belief, American colonies were founded on economics, not quests for religious freedom.

Most of the European--mostly French and Spanish, but some English too--exploration of what's now the US took place before 1600, but while they got busy colonizing what became Canada as early as the 1400s,, colonization of what became the US didn't begin in earnest till 1600. There was a little bit before then...St. Augustine FL was the earliest European settlement, in 1565...followed by Jamestown in 1607. The Mayflower was actually headed for Jamestown, which was well established by 1620, but they ran into weather that forced it northward to land on Cape Cod. It was September and by then winter was hard approaching, so they didn't have much choice but to stay there. Rhode Island and Connecticut were founded in 1636...Delaware in 1638...and y'all can do your own research find out when the rest of the colonies were first settled. :)

This HAS been fun...sure beats the socks off another toilet thread!

With respect, Pensacola Florida was the first and oldest settlement in NA. 1559 all be it short lived. St Augustine enjoys the oldest continued settlement.

Greetings,
Hmmm.....No disputing St. Augustine, as Ms. P and Mr. BH state, being the oldest CONTINUALLY settled 'burg but by Ms. P's own admission, viking presence in Canada from 800 to 1300 AD counts as a settlement in my books. So I see your Pensacola and raise you a Red Bay.
St. Brendan was supposed to have come to NA by coracle at some point ~ 500 AD. Hmmm..... The plot thickens...
Brendan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

St. Brendan was supposed to have come to NA by coracle ...

He obviously had divine assistance with that kind of hull shape ... the stability and efficiency certainly demanded a great deal of faith on a voyage like that.

Greetings,
Mr. M. Great video which opens a whole different line of thought. Interesting that the clovis point occurs in both Europe AND North America. Could be an Asian connection here. Clovis manufactured in China and sold through Wally-Mart world wide. So how do the aliens/Atlantians fit into the whole scheme of things?
Mr. RickB. Not necessarily divine intervention. Probably galley down with twins and the ORIGINAL Rocna....
protection_a.jpg

Last edited:
So how do the aliens/Atlantians fit into the whole scheme of things?

Hard to say. Think about how far we've progressed technologically in the last two hundred years, then contemplate another species from another planet with a one million year head start compared to us. You just never know...

Alexander Mackenzie 1st overland in Canada 1793 Alexander Mackenzie (explorer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (the terminus being as popular a cruising destination as can be, what with it up a remote inlet).

I always thought Mackenzie got the short end of the historical stick, crossing the continent a decade before Lewis and Clark. Obviously, L and C had the better PR machine and those were far different times . . . which, I suppose, is how Mackenzie--approaching 50--got away with marrying a 14-year-old :facepalm:. What I've really got against him is that his clan usurped one of my clan's castles in Scotland. Castle Leod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greetings,
Mr. M. Really just a rhetorical question re: aliens. Edward Snowden tells all....
Farsnews
You must realize this only deals with RECENT alien intervention (since 1945).

I always thought Mackenzie got the short end of the historical stick, crossing the continent a decade before Lewis and Clark.

Canadian's, as a rule, aren't big on flag waving or making heros.

Murray, I trust you're joking! In the part of Canada I'm originally from, Ontario, there are more flags per capita and national identity on display than anywhere I've ever been. :)

Murray, I trust you're joking! In the part of Canada I'm originally from, Ontario, there are more flags per capita and national identity on display than anywhere I've ever been. :)

Really! Where?

So how do the aliens/Atlantians fit into the whole scheme of things?

Pfffttt....

The Alterrans flew the whole city to the Pegasus galaxy millions of years ago and didn't even have the courtesy to leave behind a warning about the Ori.

I half agree. Certainly here in the west we are not big flag wavers (except during playoffs) but we do make heros; we just don't trumpet them to the skies. We are, after all, Canadian.

Really! Where?

Start in Windsor, Ontario, drive through London, Brantford, Hamilton and Toronto and count the flags flying in every town and in the yards of country homes. It's noticeable and kind of heartwarming.

. . . we do make heros; we just don't trumpet them to the skies.

With the possible exception of Gretsky. :socool:

Start in Windsor, Ontario, drive through London, Brantford, Hamilton and Toronto and count the flags flying in every town and in the yards of country homes. It's noticeable and kind of heartwarming.

Ok I counted 4. I've driven more parts of Ontario than I care to remember. It has always bothered me that we Canadians don't fly our flags more. Try driving down US501 through Dillon or Conway. Or try the PCH through Oregon or US50 through Louisiana. There are more houses/businesses with the US flag flying than there is without. I have yet to see them flown anywhere near that level in this country.

Just. Say'n...

Pfffttt....

The Alterrans flew the whole city to the Pegasus galaxy millions of years ago and didn't even have the courtesy to leave behind a warning about the Ori.
Not intending to hijack this thread but are you by chance referring to Stargate lore?
I spent fifteen years working for MGM on that franchise, started on the pilot episode and stayed on until they pulled the plug on SG Universe. - Boyd

Made a trip through Quebec and Ontario last fall. Canadian and Quebec flags everywhere! Nothing wrong with being proud of your flag, and it was very evident of that trip on the trip.:thumb:

Ok I counted 4. I've driven more parts of Ontario than I care to remember. It has always bothered me that we Canadians don't fly our flags more.

Keep looking and counting, you'll find them. Hell, there's even one in your avatar, isn't there! :)

Just think. If the Canadian trans-continental railroad wasn't built when it was, British Columbia and possibly other western provinces would probably be part of the USA by their own choice.

Just think. If the Canadian trans-continental railroad wasn't built when it was, British Columbia and possibly other western provinces would probably be part of the USA by their own choice.

You know, before Prime Minister Harper's dictatorial grasp on Canadian democracy I would never have considered that idea, but the way things are going now...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom