Here is one to talk about

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My favorite meal.....meat and potatoes! I'd skip the desert for that one. A real man's engine room.

I've had the pleasure to crew aboard Tortuga on several passages to and from Mexico. The boat was lovingly built by the owner and is a real "battleship". Many fond memories of those cruises.

Talk about throwback Thursday's for 1997!

Nice lines and sturdy hull, but it's a project boat.
Not as safe and professional construction as implied ...

4496617_20131125165626072_1_XLARGE.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. R. Agreed. Aside from the "home made" rudder housing, is the cloth/mat fully wetted out at the base of the transom?

Even my Taiwan trawler has a more professional steering set-up than that. The only time I saw something similar was on a boat built from a defected hull that was destined for a landfill by the manufacturer and got sidetracked to an unscrupulous builder. The builder slapped it together and sold it to some poor soul.

Nice lines and sturdy hull, but it's a project boat. Not as safe and professional construction as implied ...
I agree how are you supposed to passage make with that setup?! And as RTF mentioned the matt doesn't looked fully wetted out, that could be a big problem! :eek: :nonono:

I'm not too sure Beebe would be pleased with this one. One look at a 17 year old Nordhavn 46 or DeFever 48/49 would aptly illustrate considerable difference in build quality and robustness.

I was recently looking at a new build based upon Bruce Roberts plans. The plans and the execution diverged a bit turning a $1+ M asset into into a WTF? It happens.

A questionable rudder system is not the mark of a good PM but she's and old boat and posted here on TF. Some refitting of the rudder system shouldn't be any kind of deal breaker for one serious about such a boat. How often does such a boat become available? Very rarely and anyone looking for an old passage maker should find this boat a gold mine.

It's a monster and I don't like big boats but if I could afford it (including the moorage) I'd be hot on it. Mitsubishi power ... like Willy!

Last edited:
Eric

Did you look at all the pictures?

Built in Lodi, CA???

There's a lot of wineries in Lodi but no boat yards that I'm aware of. No navigable waterways either.

FlyWright am I missing something here?

Boy you guys are brutal!

Home built boat for sure.. it does appear to be built a bit light in some areas..

The first thing I noticed was all the square corners in the pilothouse... Since you spend so much time in the pilothouse of a passage maker it is imperative to have soft corners... when a boat starts to roll around on a passage those hard edges would be brutal.

I know the Beebe Passage maker design is well proven but I personally need to be proud to point out to my boat floating at anchor.. that one not so much.

Rarely are on off home built boats well thought out.. most are meant to just satisfy the needs of the builder.. and a lot of builders have a romantic notion of the Sea and have little practical knowelege of what makes a boat proper and how important "good lines" are.

HOLLYWOOD

Well the need for this builder was to go great distances upon the sea.

Tom says "Did you look at all the pictures?" I did. Looks like a very roomy vessel w lots of comforts and designed and fitted out to be away from services for long periods. Perhaps it's the $39.00 motel room styling you're not liking Tom but I could live w that easily. Cushions and other upholstery would even get the boot w me and tasteful pastel colors would coat the plywood finish. But for me Tom it's just tooooo BIG.

My VUP is copyrighted 1994 and on page 97 there is a near duplicate of this boat. Called design #96. Has the same beam, draft, fuel capacity and much else. But almost 4' shorter.

I agree w Hollywood the sharp corners aren't great for PM but I suspect this boat will do offshore cruising like SE AK on the outside, The Gulf and anywhere else in AK in the summer.

A sensibly powered boat w 3.6hp per ton. If anyone is serious about this boat I can find out much about the Mitsu engine. I suspect it's the same engine found in a horde of Canadian fish boats. Klassen was putting engines in fish boats at least in the early 70s and quite likely before.

Hollywood, Sounds like you think there's something wrong w the "lines".
I assume you mean hull lines.

Last edited:
I hope my previous post was not taken as being brutal, if so that was not the intent. I only read the broker written ad copy and saw no pictures due to page load speed.

Now that I've seen the pictures and realize it is home built it's not bad. Those 2400 hours on the main tells me it has been well used and hardly a Delta dock queen. Another thing is its a whole lot better looking than many of the home built boats I have been aboard.

This boat appeals to me in its simplicity much like diesel ducks do. I still wonder why the broker made such a big deal about its build location as anyone who has ever been to Lodi would never think it synonymous for building a passage maker. Wonder if the current owner was the builder?

RTL brings out some important points. The rudder system looks a bit light, yes, but how hard would it be to make it what you wanted with that kind of access. I'd take it, square corners and all.

I agree Craig ... like a Diesel Duck.

Going places in comfort.

Here's an interesting boat that is very similar to the Beebe and it's in our yard .. boat yard. Know nothing about her but it looks like she was planked w Hemlock. Don't know the story but it's interesting that the planking below the WL seems to be in better shape. Don't even know if she's salvageable but she has a nice hull form similar to the Beebe.

I over exposed the third pic so you can see her bottom.

Attachments

• DSCF1291 copy.jpg
    DSCF1291 copy.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCF1290 copy.jpg
    DSCF1290 copy.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCF1289 copy.jpg
    DSCF1289 copy.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 149
I know the boat

I actually considered buying this boat 5 years ago. I passed because there was too many things that needed changing to suit my taste. But let me tell you the hull is not one of them. This boat destroyed half the boats in a marina in La Paz during a hurricane. They called her El Gordo. The gunnels are made from 2x6 trailer decking. The hull is very fair and the boat is very spacious. The owner started cutting corners finishing her out . Trailer stove and trailer air conditioning, no sound deadening . Lots of strange ideas when it came to rigging. The boat originally ran two engines on one shaft. There is a new large engine driven 240 alternator that is mounted but connected. The twin engine idea didn't work out so she now runs on just one of the original two, I believe the boat comes with a spare engine that is almost new. The engines are industrial Mitsubishi high torque diesels. The thruster is hydrolic and requires taking the boat out of gear and raising engine rpm's to operate. The boat has cruised to Baha at least twice. Two and from Stockton. This boat would make a hell of a good project boat for someone with good mechanical skills. When I looked at her the owner builder wanted way too much money for her, but that was five years ago. The boat has a large pilot house aft where the ride is best. The aft deck if I remember correctly is mostly covered with a small cockpit. This is a serious boat for rough weather. The interior is rough but there is a hell of a lot of room to work with. The structure of this boat is very stout.

Well the need for this builder was to go great distances upon the sea.

Tom says "Did you look at all the pictures?" I did. Looks like a very roomy vessel w lots of comforts and designed and fitted out to be away from services for long periods. Perhaps it's the $39.00 motel room styling you're not liking Tom but I could live w that easily. Cushions and other upholstery would even get the boot w me and tasteful pastel colors would coat the plywood finish. But for me Tom it's just tooooo BIG.

My VUP is copyrighted 1994 and on page 97 there is a near duplicate of this boat. Called design #96. Has the same beam, draft, fuel capacity and much else. But almost 4' shorter.

I agree w Hollywood the sharp corners aren't great for PM but I suspect this boat will do offshore cruising like SE AK on the outside, The Gulf and anywhere else in AK in the summer.

A sensibly powered boat w 3.6hp per ton. If anyone is serious about this boat I can find out much about the Mitsu engine. I suspect it's the same engine found in a horde of Canadian fish boats. Klassen was putting engines in fish boats at least in the early 70s and quite likely before.

Hollywood, Sounds like you think there's something wrong w the "lines".
I assume you mean hull lines.

The pic of the rudder post says volumns...no way that build is up to passagemaking.. just from memory...
The rudderpost base is too small to take much in the way of side loads or any real loads.
Also it is almost unsupported except for those little metal struts.
The tiny hydraulic cylinder is on a wood support that doesn't look right.
The layup of the glass cloth is either dry or has been subject to flex.
The thru hulls should be double hose clamped.
The thru hulls should have a glass build up to spread the load
The platform bolts should have backing plates not small washers.
It looked like there may be mild steel washers on the hrackets due to the present rust streaks.
The rudder post plate should have a build up of glass to spread the load to the hull.

This is just the stuff I noticed in the pic of the rudder post.

Hollywood

The owner was the builder

I hope my previous post was not taken as being brutal, if so that was not the intent. I only read the broker written ad copy and saw no pictures due to page load speed.

Now that I've seen the pictures and realize it is home built it's not bad. Those 2400 hours on the main tells me it has been well used and hardly a Delta dock queen. Another thing is its a whole lot better looking than many of the home built boats I have been aboard.

This boat appeals to me in its simplicity much like diesel ducks do. I still wonder why the broker made such a big deal about its build location as anyone who has ever been to Lodi would never think it synonymous for building a passage maker. Wonder if the current owner was the builder?
The owner was a Lodi building contractor who built the boat in a Lodi Warehouse. After reviewing the photos the interior looks better than I remember. He had cruised with a huge freezer under the settee cushions. The price still seems high. Down at least as much in the five years or so it's been on the market.

I emailed the broker and asked how long the boat had been for sale and the broker replied about one month.

I emailed the broker and asked how long the boat had been for sale and the broker replied about one month.

What else would one expect a broker to say.

For a few hundred K this vessel could be done better, or just buy an already done right vessel like Scary did. To add to Hollywood's list a new instrument package would be nice too. I'll stop there.

A very nice steel vessel named Sonata was built in a CA backyard. It made the cover of PMM and is now seriously for sale.

when a broker starts lying then that's a deal breaker for me. I expect a broker to answer a question honestly to the best of his liabilities.

I would guess the boat has just been relisted

I can't remember if the boat was listed with a broker or I was dealing with the owner, I believe I saw the boat on the net. I know at that time I met with the owner without a broker. I believe the rudder is tied into the bottom of the keel as well. The owner has photos of the build and travels to Baha. I also don't think the owner was motivated to sell when I looked at the boat.

Here is another home built boat ... looking good 46' steel trawler. Although a bit shorter, this could be a much better boat for less money: 2001 Custom 46 Steel LRC Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

3672443_3_20110712144136_0_0.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]
If your dream is of blue-water passage-making but your budget can't afford a Kadey-Krogen or Nordhavn, then GWENDOLYN may be a perfect choice for you. Without a doubt, she is one of the nicest home-built steel trawlers we have ever seen. Her construction process was monitored routinely by one of Eastern Ontario's foremost surveyors who was very impressed by the quality of her build. She also comes with a complete set of documentation that covers her design, materials used, operating instructions, maintenance requirements, etc.
With her efficient 150 hp John Deere diesel and her 1400 gallons of fuel, she definitely can be termed as a Long Range Cruiser. According to her owner, she burns approximately 2.5 gallons per hour at 8.0 knots which gives her a range of 3500 miles at a half-decent speed. GWENDOLYN is a perfect candidate for those looking for a good-quality, freshwater-water only, steel trawler to take them wherever they want to go.

BTW, no relation to the boat, builder, seller or broker ... :)
[/FONT]

Last edited:
I can't remember if the boat was listed with a broker or I was dealing with the owner, I believe I saw the boat on the net. I know at that time I met with the owner without a broker. I believe the rudder is tied into the bottom of the keel as well. The owner has photos of the build and travels to Baha. I also don't think the owner was motivated to sell when I looked at the boat.

by looking at your avatar you made the right choice.

HOLLYWOOD

I'm very happy with this boat

by looking at your avatar you made the right choice.

HOLLYWOOD

I looked at my 48lrc for two years while in the process of driving up and down the coast looking at other boats. I kept coming back to this boat. In the end I paid top dollar for 34 year old boat. So far so good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another interesting boat ... looks bad, bad a$$ boat, in a good way. A 42' aluminum commercial trawler remade as a recreational boat: Inside Passage Yacht Sales (Lopez Island, WA)

4362128_20130629162821435_1_XLARGE.jpg

[FONT=verdana,helv,arial,san-serif][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]This commercial quality aluminum trawler was launched in 2005, built by Carlson Marine of Astoria, Oregon to be used as commercial crabber. The current owners saw an extremely strong, safe and seaworthy vessel that would be the perfect platform for a luxurious family cruising trawler. They have done an amazing job from stem to stern of redesigning the interiors and mechanical systems to transforming this solid commercial vessel into the ultimate family vacation platform.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]BTW, no relation to the boat, builder, seller or broker ... :)
[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom