Hose Clamps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Cummins is covered with them. Not knowing any better I assumed they were spec'd by Cummins...

When you put the new one on, a thin coat of clear silicone caulk will help seal any imperfections, yet make the hose easy to remove later. When I bought my boat, the PO had done this, and it was amazingly easy to remove every hose.

I guess the caulk doesn't stick to metal but forms a seal. Would you use silicone caulk on fuel lines?

I guess the caulk doesn't stick to metal but forms a seal. Would you use silicone caulk on fuel lines?

I wouldn't. I rebuilt a fuel system recently where the owner had used silicone at the hose connections. Little pieces of cured silicone got into the fuel system and found their way into the inlet of the Racors reducing the flow enough that you could still bleed the system but not run it fully loaded. We replaced all the hose from the tank to the engine filters.

There is a tool called a "hose pick" that will make it easy to remove a hose without damaging it. It really works well. I have used them for several years.
My son is an auto mechaninc and he uses them all the time. I was watching him once a few years a said I have to have one of those.
They come in various sizes.

Here's a set at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-KD...UTF8&qid=1387890347&sr=8-2&keywords=hose+pick

I think Craftsman sells a 4 piece set for not much money. If you use one once you will never use a screwdriver again.

Those hose picks come in handy for a multitude of uses.

At your local big box house store they have screwdrivers that have inserts to change from small straight or Philips driver.

These handles with the bits out will fit most hex head hose clamps and are far better for tightening or adjusting .

Best $5.00 you will ever spend if the hose clamps are in a hard to reach spot.

You can also buy a hex driver to fit your hose clamp nuts. Standard or "stubby". Sockets from your tool box will work as well.

1) You don't have to buy a set of picks. You can buy a "hose clamp removal tool" at most places that sell auto parts or tools.

2) You can buy "radiator hose grease" that will allow you to put a hose on a fitting more easily and remove it more easily in the future. It won't damage the rubber like dish soap and other concoctions might.

3) A hose to fitting connection that relies on caulk has a problem that should be corrected. If the hose and fitting are matched and the proper clamps are used, it doesn't need caulk to seal.

I thought my raw water intake hose for the genset was looking like it needed replacing. I started to undo the hose clamp and the hose fell off the pipe nipple on the Groco! PO put a 1" hose on a 1/2" nipple! One of the nipples was wrapped in electrical tape, which was unravelling and streaming towards the genset. I only have 2 openings in the bottom of my hull, the genset intake and the fire pump and besides ruining the genset, this idiotic installation might have cost me the entire boat.

In my opinion, I have now seen the most moronic thing done on a boat.

I'm pretty sure you'll find a few more competitors for the "most moronic" title.

Some people shift into another gear when they start working on boats.

But it does go to show you how bad things can be and boats still don't sink , catch fire, explode, disintegrate, etc...etc...immediately or automatically just because someone doesn't follow ABYC or some posters idea that there's "only one right way"....

thankfully...:thumb:

Now this here is a hose clamp. I get them at a chandlery where the pro's get their stuff, not WM. Not cheap but worth the peace of mind.

I got a couple of these yesterday at Goodyear rubber products. Inch and a half I think for $4.50 ea.

I thought my raw water intake hose for the genset was looking like it needed replacing. I started to undo the hose clamp and the hose fell off the pipe nipple on the Groco! PO put a 1" hose on a 1/2" nipple! One of the nipples was wrapped in electrical tape, which was unravelling and streaming towards the genset. I only have 2 openings in the bottom of my hull, the genset intake and the fire pump and besides ruining the genset, this idiotic installation might have cost me the entire boat.

I would really go over that boat with a fine toothed comb... if the P.O. did that what else may he have done??

HOLLYWOOD

I thought my raw water intake hose for the genset was looking like it needed replacing. I started to undo the hose clamp and the hose fell off the pipe nipple on the Groco! PO put a 1" hose on a 1/2" nipple! One of the nipples was wrapped in electrical tape, which was unravelling and streaming towards the genset.

Sounds like something my brother-in-law would do!! We were partners in a fishing venture and ran five commercial fishing boats. I had to follow him around fixing all the bailing wire and duck-tape repairs he did.

When a Hydro valve bracket broke he would wire it back in place or wrap with duck tape. He referred to this as MacGyvering a fix, which is fine for an emergency while fishing, but they never got fixed correctly when back at the dock. You know what it's like removing old duck tape or steel wire that was exposed to the sea, weather and sun? What a mess!!

I don't know....I found a splice in my toilet incoming raw water hose the other day: one size hose was shoved inside another hose and hose clamped.:lol:

Lot's of people are making fun of it...but how many systems use a similar concept with an O-ring or gasket ?(better engineering I hope but same principle).

Obviously with higher pressure/suction, lot's of these "MacGyver" fixes wouldn't work..but on low pressure or light suction applications they seem to work just fine until they are found out and "surprise" everyone.

Hollywood, that's pretty much what I'm doing. Long list of inside stuff to go over, then I find leaks and other stuff to distract me. Slow but satisfying process. Impossible to pay somebody to do this, you would need very deep pockets and anybody with enough dosh to do this would have bought a bigger better newer snazzier boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom