Thread: Sales Tax
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #19
HopCar
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
THD, since I have both a brick and mortar store and an online store I'm concerned about having to collect the out of state taxes. I figure when it happens there will be software available that will help me collect it. What I'm worried about is how will I submit the tax to the correct taxing authority. Right now I just collect Florida sales tax and I have to register with the state and buy special software each year just so I can give the money collected to the state. Will I have to do this with another 49 states? What a nightmare!

"When you discuss the sales tax remember it is actually a retail occupation tax for the services provided to a retailer in that state..."
Not in Florida. Sales tax is what funds most of the state government. We have no income tax. The purchaser is required to pay the tax, not the retailer. In fact if a resident of Florida orders something on the internet, and doesn't pay sales tax on it, he is required to submit the tax directly to the state. No body does it, but that's the law.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote