Oh, just some Great Loop daydreaming?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Well it's 0 degrees here in Louisville, Ky. truck won't start and I'm daydreaming about doing the loop. Lord willing and creek don't rise, I'll be starting the loop about Oct. 1, 2015.

So I'm learning about schedule, I'm figuring 4 seasons to complete, 10/1 - 10/25 to get to Joe Wheeler SP from Louisville for the fall rendezvous, another couple weeks to reach the gulf. Short hop the gulf (single handing so can't do the full crossing) and reach the warmth about 12/15.

Couple questions; Of the travel journals I've read, I have not seen anybody going around the tip of Florida and visiting the keys, they all use the Okeechobee cut thru. Why is? Must be something I'm missing.
Also when do folks start travelling north? The next two sort of solid dates appear to be the spring rendezvous the first week of May and Manhattan left turn mid to late may.

Anyway, anyone else daydreaming about this trip?

Of the travel journals I've read, I have not seen anybody going around the tip of Florida and visiting the keys, they all use the Okeechobee cut thru. Why is? Must be something I'm missing.

If all you want to do is to go from the West Coast of Florida to the East Coast of Florida (and vice-versa) then using Okeechobee ICW saves a lot of miles. Only if you want to visit the Keys does it make sense to take that route. Or if you have a sailboat with a mast so high that even tipping it on the side will not take it under that 49' bridge at Port Myakka. (sp?)

Well I guessed that! Lol. I just figure you have at least 2 months of winter to play where it's warm and the area around the keys just seems like the logical place to do that? Also this is coming from reading a limited number of journals, maybe many more folks go that way and I've just missed that.

Well I guessed that! Lol. I just figure you have at least 2 months of winter to play where it's warm and the area around the keys just seems like the logical place to do that? Also this is coming from reading a limited number of journals, maybe many more folks go that way and I've just missed that.

If you have the time I would not miss the Keys we enjoy the Miami area also

If you have the time I would not miss the Keys we enjoy the Miami area also
I was down in your part of the world this past fall. Stayed at Patty's place in Buras. (Plaquemines Parish) Had a great time, caught many redfish. love that part of the country.

Great thread, Greg! I'm here in St Louis suffering through another forsaken winter as well. so the idea of traveling south couldn't be more inviting!

Great thread, Greg! I'm here in St Louis suffering through another forsaken winter as well. so the idea of traveling south couldn't be more inviting!

Right now, the idea of traveling south is very inviting! (And I am in Florida, where it is going to drop down to about 15 degrees tonight!). However, full disclosure is that I am in Northern Florida -- not down there with the palm trees. :)

Right now, the idea of traveling south is very inviting! (And I am in Florida, where it is going to drop down to about 15 degrees tonight!). However, full disclosure is that I am in Northern Florida -- not down there with the palm trees. :)

I'd trade today's STL wx for Panhandle wx in about as much time as someone in MSP would trade for STL wx today!

Greg, hello from former Louisvillians! We live in Cape Coral and will be beginning the Loop Mar 1. We've lived here for 20 years and have made many trips to the Keys. It is a longer trip to go to the Keys than Lake O but many Loopers do go to the Keys for the Winter, others cross to the Bahamas (usually via Lake O then South to cross over). To give you an idea of the mileage difference, we're 120 miles to Stuart via Lake O. It's 130 miles just to Marathon. The Keys are a great place to visit, but sometimes can be a challenge in the Winter because of wind. We got stuck in Marathon in late Feb 2012 for a couple of weeks, although not a bad place to get stuck.

Stay warm!

Gina

I'm in Florida with the Palm trees. Expecting 40 tonight. Brrrrrrr.

Gina

Your in LA (lower Alabama) which is west of LG (lower Georgia) where Jacksonville is. It was 84 here in Miami today. I rode 8 miles at Earhart park, and swatting mosquitoes when I stopped. AC still on. We hear rumors of something called "cool" heading this way.

Don't worry about the crossing to tarpon springs. This year I know of multiple single handers that did it. if you travel in a group you have the chance for some cat maps. Our crossing was uneventful with light winds and 1 ft seas.

Makes me appreciate the weather here as in yesterday on San Pablo Bay:

img_203905_0_94810d22dce042482a826a50e932d0e4.jpg

Marathon would be a good choice to pick up a mooring for a couple of months of winter.

Hey, Greg. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I'm also stuck in the wonderful weather we are having in Louisville but, at least my truck started.

We are future loopers, also. Maybe we will see you on the river, what are you cruising in?

Greg, hello from former Louisvillians! We live in Cape Coral and will be beginning the Loop Mar 1. We've lived here for 20 years and have made many trips to the Keys. It is a longer trip to go to the Keys than Lake O but many Loopers do go to the Keys for the Winter, others cross to the Bahamas (usually via Lake O then South to cross over). To give you an idea of the mileage difference, we're 120 miles to Stuart via Lake O. It's 130 miles just to Marathon. The Keys are a great place to visit, but sometimes can be a challenge in the Winter because of wind. We got stuck in Marathon in late Feb 2012 for a couple of weeks, although not a bad place to get stuck.

Stay warm!

Gina

Hi Gina, thanks for the info. So March 1st you'll cross over and head north. Is that early, late or pretty typical time to start up north? Will you go to the spring rendezvous, early May in Norfolk, Va?
I'm guessing my arrival in the Cape Coral area to be the beginning of December, so that gives me 3 full months to explore. Travelling between out of the way anchorages when the winds and weather allow. Maybe the Bahamas but I understand that is a pretty expensive side trip?

Don't worry about the crossing to tarpon springs. This year I know of multiple single handers that did it. if you travel in a group you have the chance for some cat maps. Our crossing was uneventful with light winds and 1 ft seas.

I'm open to doing the full crossing but I would also like to visit some of the fishing towns in between. Was thinking about Carrabelle to Steinhatchee, then bounce down the coast, Cedar key, Crystal River, Clearwater and then Cape Coral. But no preset plans, never know who you might travel with and plans are meant to be changed.

Hi Gina, thanks for the info. So March 1st you'll cross over and head north. Is that early, late or pretty typical time to start up north? Will you go to the spring rendezvous, early May in Norfolk, Va? I'm guessing my arrival in the Cape Coral area to be the beginning of December, so that gives me 3 full months to explore. Travelling between out of the way anchorages when the winds and weather allow. Maybe the Bahamas but I understand that is a pretty expensive side trip?

March/April is a good time frame to leave from here. Don't think we'll make it to the Rendezvous. We plan to spend as much time as we can in Canada and Great Lakes. Next year we may just cruise the AICW and maybe Bahamas and spend more time on the east coast. Let us know when you are in Fl. We've cruised the Fl west coast and Keys for the last 15 years.

Gina

Hey, Greg. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I'm also stuck in the wonderful weather we are having in Louisville but, at least my truck started.

We are future loopers, also. Maybe we will see you on the river, what are you cruising in?

Hello David, enjoying the -3 degree morning?
Actually I'm very new to power boating and will be shopping for a boat this spring. I'm in the process of building a house off of Rose Island road and will rent a slip at one of the marinas there. Shopping for a trailerable trawler, something simple and small. (with a ring of boat fenders to cushion the learning curve)

I'm open to doing the full crossing but I would also like to visit some of the fishing towns in between. Was thinking about Carrabelle to Steinhatchee, then bounce down the coast, Cedar key, Crystal River, Clearwater and then Cape Coral. But no preset plans, never know who you might travel with and plans are meant to be changed.

Gregg, those Big Bend villages are nice to visit. Steinhatchee, Cedar Key, and Crystal River all have some squirlly narrow channels to negotiate. At Cedar Key, don't even think about the Northwest Channel. It is very shoally. Before entering the main ship channel have it firmly in your mind. There is a nasty "S" curve that can be deceiving. There is good seafood to be had at all. At Steinhatchee I like Riverhaven better than SeaHag. It is just beyond the bridge. At Crystal River Pete's Pier is closer to town than 3 Rivers. I love boondocks cruising. Enjoy "old Florida".:thumb:

Here's a link to Cedar Keys chart

http://www.afn.org/~gofc/charts/CedarKeyChannelScrn.jpg

Last edited:
If you're planning on cruising the great loop, you really should join this group:

America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association

These are people who have done it before and can answer all your questions.

Also, there are several books on the subject. Go to amazon.com and do a search. Even if you are not planning on making this trip, the books make great reading.

Greg, we did the Great Circle Cruise to which you refer in 5 season, leaving the boat stored wherever we stopped in the fall. Several years we had only a vague idea where that would be when we boarded the boat in the early spring, sometimes too early according to THE WIFE.
A couple of hints, there is no way to see all of the trip in one year, impossible. We did the Keys and the Tortugas, to not do so is like going to Rome and not visiting the Vatican.
Same in Canada, the Champlain is fantastic and the Rideau is possibly better. Once you do those then the Erie you wonder, well we did, what is so great abt the Erie? I was told that before we got there and we saw why. Now I would not miss the Erie no way but.
It takes several season to do all of that then the Trent to the North Channel and all, a whole season in that area would not be too much.

Lastly, and we stuck by this WE NEVER HAD A SCHEDULE AND STUCK TO IT.

Our shortest day traveling was 4.5 miles on the Cayouga Seneca Canal in NY.

CCC

Great thread, with great experienced input!

Still in dreaming stages for being down south in the winter, and upon reading a number of blog's, it appears the Florida Key's may not be the best place in the heart of winter (windy cool), that maybe up a bit near the mainland is better shelter (temperature)?? Also would this be the same for the Bahamas’, or further down towards the Turks and Cacao's be better???

Thanks for the input!

Greg, we did the Great Circle Cruise to which you refer in 5 season, leaving the boat stored wherever we stopped in the fall. Several years we had only a vague idea where that would be when we boarded the boat in the early spring, sometimes too early according to THE WIFE.
A couple of hints, there is no way to see all of the trip in one year, impossible. We did the Keys and the Tortugas, to not do so is like going to Rome and not visiting the Vatican.
Same in Canada, the Champlain is fantastic and the Rideau is possibly better. Once you do those then the Erie you wonder, well we did, what is so great abt the Erie? I was told that before we got there and we saw why. Now I would not miss the Erie no way but.
It takes several season to do all of that then the Trent to the North Channel and all, a whole season in that area would not be too much.

Lastly, and we stuck by this WE NEVER HAD A SCHEDULE AND STUCK TO IT.

Our shortest day traveling was 4.5 miles on the Cayouga Seneca Canal in NY.

CCC

Thanks for the input, I will remember it. I have no intentions of trying to see everything, just choose a course and enjoy it in whatever time it takes. Anyway at 6 knots it's physically impossible to see even most, so no reason to try. The "Active Captain" website and interactive map seem like they will be a great resource for finding the kind of secluded anchorages along the way.

Great thread, with great experienced input!

Still in dreaming stages for being down south in the winter, and upon reading a number of blog's, it appears the Florida Key's may not be the best place in the heart of winter (windy cool), that maybe up a bit near the mainland is better shelter (temperature)?? Also would this be the same for the Bahamas’, or further down towards the Turks and Cacao's be better???

Thanks for the input!

Turks and Cacao's, now that would be ambitious! What seemed ambitious to me was a crossing from say Marco Island directly to Dry Tortugas and then slowly hop from key to key back to the mainland. Possibly a week in Bimini. So many options, so little time.

Hello David, enjoying the -3 degree morning?
Actually I'm very new to power boating and will be shopping for a boat this spring. I'm in the process of building a house off of Rose Island road and will rent a slip at one of the marinas there. Shopping for a trailerable trawler, something simple and small. (with a ring of boat fenders to cushion the learning curve)

I have slips for rent at Tartan's Landing but it wouldn't be as close as Rose Island or Louisville Yacht, cheaper though.

Good luck on your boat search.

I have slips for rent at Tartan's Landing but it wouldn't be as close as Rose Island or Louisville Yacht, cheaper though.

Good luck on your boat search.

I would really like to get a slip in Alexis Cove, but I don't know if there are even any openings or if you have to join what appears to be a family club??

I'm here in Sarasota (SW FL Gulf Coast) and loving it. 50 degrees now, perfect weather to work. They're calling for 80 again by Saturday, but we're loving the temporary cool. Our plan is to start the loop in March 2015 now, but will probably cruise the Keys this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom