MT Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikekomm

Can someone help me determine which MT model the 43ft. boat in the picture is? I'm considering purchasing this 1985 MT for a liveaboard and would like to do some research but I think the first step is to know which model it is. I've seen a few posts that state that these MT boats are good for "coastal cruising" but not so good "long range offshore" trips. How would "coastal cruising" be defined. Would going to Catalina Island (26 miles) from Long Beach be considered "long range" or "coastal cruising" ? Any help and references to general trawler info would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

Attachments

• MT_43.jpg
    MT_43.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 150
Long Beach to Catalina is "coastal cruising." Made the trip from San Pedro with a 30' Tolly many times. I now go to Catalina from San Diego every year on our 36' Nova Sundeck and it is still coastal cruising.

Looks like the sundeck version

looks like my 1984 Labelle Sundeck MT

By coastal they mean that it has a lot of glass area that would be vulnerable in very heavy weather. They ride nicely in typical swells but I wouldn't take mine to Bermuda from Maine for example.

Looks like the best compromise with sundeck aft cabin and aft cockpit or I think they sometimes call them a yacht/fisher.
Better boat for handling lines and for getting on an off.
Make a good coastal cruiser, what power and fuel tankage.
Cheers
Benn

Nice sun deck model; should be a comfortable costal cruiser. Double check all "hard to get to" areas like fuel, water, and holding tanks. All a large (and expensive) job to replace. Any leaks or wood rot? Any maintenance logs on oil changes etc.? No matter what, plan to spend a few months, at least, getting to know each other before heading out beyond a day trip. Once you are both comfortable with each other...well, that's when the fun really begins. Just like a woman...

Big question on the LaBelle sundecks is which engine they have - Lehman 120's command a premium price as they sip fuel and are relatively easy to work on. The 275 hp Lehman turbos will cost you a lot more in maintenance.

Look for rusting steel fuel tanks, not uncommon, and signs of water intrusion as this means the core in the house is compromised.

These are fine boats for the price, and well suited to Southern California waters. People have taken Jet Ski's and 16' Hobi Cats to Catalina on calm days :)

Let us know how you make out.

Mikekomm,
I am new to this forum and looking for a live aboard as well. I have been on this particular boat in long beach. It is a mess, every window has leaked and damaged the teak, there is also signs that there was leaking about 2ft below the port side windows (possible hull and cabin separation?) the hatch from the salon to the sun deck has leaked badly and the teak is beyond repair. They are currently asking 59k and is bank owned. This was too big of a project for us to take on, but for the right person good be a good deal.

To be fair, the bilges are dry and clean. The engines appear to be in good condition, and the exterior gel coat and decks are in good shape

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom