IG36 Anchor Winch Pedestal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
At AndyG`s request, here are pics of the winch setup on Doriana. Neither Andy`s boat, or a 1983 boat I saw in Queensland had this boxed support. Looks original, except it is a total rebuild as the "box" was cracking at the joins to the bulwarks and had rot. The post support underneath looks much like Sarawana`s.

Attachments

• DSC_0373.jpg
    DSC_0373.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC_0375.jpg
    DSC_0375.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 206
I built a similar box for a number of reasons. It is a good place for the chain and eazy to keep clean. Drain is well above the waterline
Mostly though to support the Simson Laurance Windlass and bring the handle for the windlass up to an ergronomicly comfortable height.
I am still in the process of building the boat so I cannot tell if it is effective yet.

Bruce do you store any chain in the box structure or does it all go down into the chain locker?

I'm assuming that your fastening points look similar to mine

Attachments

• lofran winch 002.jpg
    lofran winch 002.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 190
Here's the way the later IG32 foredeck looks.

Attachments

• Foredeck.jpg
    Foredeck.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 172
Seems there are many ways of approaching this, David`s is particularly neat. Andy`s clearly shows the underneath supporting plate. A winch exerts a lot of power, so it needs firm locating. Rvanvoris, make sure you incorporate good support under the box for your winch.
Andy, the chain goes below into the anchor locker (where I had head and arms changing the footswitch). I store the snubber, a strop for extending public mooring lines, pipe arm for winch gypsy, and an unused Anchor Buddy I got with the boat .
The IG Europa I saw in Qld. had a teak grate from bulwark to bulwark, but was open underneath.
Note my aft port winch fixation cannot bolt through, it needs a coach-screw into wood, but the screwhole is "screwed". To avoid R&R of the winch, I`m trying devise cleaning the hole out and epoxying a plug into it, winch still fitted. I think it can be done.

Hi- reinvigorating this thread. I’m contemplating an IG 36 that currently does not have a windlass. I’d love to see some variations of support, boxes, pedastles etc that are used for both durability in use, but as mentioned above ergonomics for the user. The yard is quoting 10K USD to “do it right”.....

The pics above should cover the variations.
No windlass at all! No anchoring, or massive arms and shoulders. What rode does it have?
$10K seems high. But if there is nothing at all, maybe. Got a pic of the bow?
I have that heavy plate seen in post 3, you just can`t see all of it. And there is support under, as pic 3 shows. There is a lot of torque from the windlass, I suspect that damaged my support pedestal "box".
Reproducing the pic 4 set up would be pricey,but pic 3 is probably all you need. A Muir 1200 horizontal is $4K AUD here, that accounts for a slab of 10K. Is there a rode locker and feed pipe already? IGs have a "door" to access the locker, it`s fwd of the bow berth.

IMG_1988.jpgIMG_1966.jpg

Yeah, the hatch is there to get into the anchor closet, and he said there was a hawse pipe- just don’t have a good pic of it. I’m thinking a jury rigged capstan tied into the existing pulpit but tied into the structure below the Deck somehow....yeah like #3

Last edited:
Chain has to go somewhere,so there must be some opening. Pic 3 would be fine, no great fiberglass and wood works. Can`t envisage having no windlass, the language was terrible the times ours failed and we retrieved manually.
You need to go look at it. Those decks are not just a cosmetic problem, but maybe you can keep them going a while. I dispensed with teak on the foredeck, painted non slip there, the rest, covered by the walkways, in new teak. You could do it all in painted non slip,tear up the teak,fill every screw hole,fair it,add 2 layers of f/glass and paint it.

Bruce , looking at the first pics where do you secure your bow lines?
gmarr , is that chain locker as small as it looks?

Bruce , looking at the first pics where do you secure your bow lines?...
You might just make out the fwd end of the deck mounted longitudinal cleat by following the snubber line. Note the ss strip protecting trailing edge of the pedestal when a line comes to the cleat this way.
Cleat placement works with the 2 visible hawse holes,when we were on our swing mooring we had a bridle system.

gmarr , is that chain locker as small as it looks?

I personally haven’t seen this boat yet. It perspectively looks small for sure! Maybe Bruce could hazard a guess knowing the IGs - though it might mean why they build those boxes on top?

Here's the way the later IG32 foredeck looks.
That's the exact set up that we have on Malagari. The "floor" of the chain locker is about half a meter below deck level and that's where most of the chain sits.

There is a lot of wasted space in the locker above deck level - it does make a handy platform to stand on to hose down the anchor though.

Like George`s,our chain locker is under the deck.Access is a door fwd of the berth. Ours currently has 80M of chain in it. The above deck storage is unrelated and varies between boats, it`s to store odds and ends,windlass clutch handle, snubber, catenary weight,next door`s cat, that kind of thing.

Back
Top Bottom