Crossed Over To The Dark Side Cal 42 LRC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

db2

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Wiggle Room
Vessel Make
Spendrift 58
Hi All,

I have been lurking for a month, so I think its high time I introduce myself. The girl and I just bought a Californian 42 LRC that needs much work but has good bones. Rebuilt Perkins turbo diesels, 5 new 8D batterys and 2 new aluminum fuel tanks. The aft cabin windows leaked terribly necessitating a rebuild of the aft cabin and deck replacement. I just laid glass and epoxy over the new deck sections. Having beat the rain, I can now slow down a bit and relax. The new windows are vinyl basement windows and I think they work very well.
I am new to power boats but not new to boating. I have been a rag sailor all my life and I spent the last 4 seasons cruising Mexico on my Islander 36. Now it is time to enjoy Marina life here in San Diego and maybe have a few margaritas.
I have many questions and I hope you all can help with my learning curve.

Dan

Welcome aboard

I crossed over last year. my latest sailboat which is for sale is an Allied 39 ketch.
I now have a Mainship 36 Aft Cabin model. Also went from diesel to gas. Quite a change.

It's hard to get used to the fact that wind is free and gasoline ain't.

Tony B

Welcome aboard. Many of us are former sailors and have now earned a different (better) life.

Marty

Sail boat, Power boat, Motor home, Rest home. Enjoy the ride.

Sounds like you're set to begin a new era in cruising. Welcome aboard.

5 8D batteries ??? Why
Welcome aboard

I have always been curious, why is the POWERboat considered "The Dark Side"? Sure seems to me that the sailing side is far more of a "cult-ish" lifestyle than powerboating. :flowers:

Just asking :D

:hide:

There is nothing "free" about owning a sailboat. ;-)

Greetings,
Mr. T. Why do you think I am laughing? It seems that the MAJOR concern voiced by those who make the switch to a more genteel and civilized form of boating (power) is the cost of fuel. Granted, while under sail, no fuel is used and when the Iron Spinnaker is fired up it sips diesel like a scalding hot cup of tea so a fill-up of a "trawler" with, say, 300 gallon fuel tanks is a real kick in the back pocket. I've seen many a sailboat at the fuel dock "fill her up" and take 20 gallons or less of fuel bragging that this should last them another 6 months. Don't ever inquire how much a set of sails cost. THAT cost doesn't enter into the equation for some reason.
Dark side? Only in the minds of those masochists who enjoy a rainy passage in an open cockpit sealed up to their eyebrows in their slickers.

Don't forget the six pack for the house bank. $$$$$ AGM's ? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Oh honey,.......

Don't forget the six pack for the house bank. $$$$$ AGM's ? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Oh honey,.......
Yeah, AGM's are painful to the pocket. Just had to replace 9 8D's and one 4D.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom