The perfect boat, who builds one with these specs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a boat that accommodates almost all of your requirements and definitely a full displacement craft. Go to 33' Nauticat Pilothouse Motorsailor.

West Yachts LLC (Anacortes, WA)

SEveral price reductions have been made and another is probably in order. I saw this vessel today in the water in Anacortes WA. The whole boat looks really good especially for her age. Has had extensive refits and the owner has just been moved to Russia in his work. Highly motivated it would seem but it's hard to say how much money he could spend there in Russia.

If someone is serious about Mystic Knot I could take more pics and post. Like most aft cabin boats she lacks deck space but MPG and seaworthyness seems to be almost unquestionable. It will help if you like blue. Lots to keep up. New teak deck, old Perkins engine and lots and lots of rigging.

Last edited:
Here's a boat that accommodates almost all of your requirements and definitely a full displacement craft. Go to 33' Nauticat Pilothouse Motorsailor. West Yachts LLC (Anacortes, WA) SEveral price reductions have been made and another is probably in order. I saw this vessel today in the water in Anacortes WA. The whole boat looks really good especially for her age. Has had extensive refits and the owner has just been moved to Russia in his work. Highly motivated it would seem but it's hard to say how much money he could spend there in Russia. If someone is serious about Mystic Knot I could take more pics and post. Like most aft cabin boats she lacks deck space but MPG and seaworthyness seems to be almost unquestionable. It will help if you like blue. Lots to keep up. New teak deck, old Perkins engine and lots and lots of rigging.

That is indeed a damn fine lookin boat for the money!

Thanks for the ideas. I am not at this point I am not necessarily looking for specific boats for sale. But I do welcome the ads because they come with pics. I am just trying to get some ideas...strictly a trivial conversation at this point.

I am not offering a commission to find my boat :)

As for how I use the boat...a little bit of everything. We won't be making passages to the south Pacific or going Europe. But the Bahamas is a real possibility as is the loop. We do have large chunks of time where we don't have to physically be at work. For the past 5 years we have been traveling 90 to 100 nights a year in our rv. Our longest conservative trips away is usually 8 weeks or so.

I am steering away from a semi displacement hull simply based on second hand tails and reading. Some call it the best of both worlds...as I understand it brings the worst of both too. If I wanted to go fast 10knts + I would seriously consider a sedan bridge. We like the layout and there are always tons for sale in our price range and in our area.

As for the budget. The wife reminds me that we dont need to max it out. I remind her that it is 'home' for a quarter of the year.

Take a look at the Willard 40 pilothouse trawler. It may have two heads, if so it meets all your requirements, depending upon equipment. The Krogen 42 meets your requirements with the exception that it is 42 ft.

Marty

I looked at a few Krogen 42's on YW. I think they are my favorite. All of the ones there were listed in the sub 200 so that will let some budge in the budget. I think everything that is currently listed is sold but it maybe a better (or worse?) market when i am ready to make a move.

The perfect boat is pretty. One that you look back upon as you are leaving and sigh contentedly...

This disqualifies most boats.

That said, the OP's perfect boat may be a houseboat.

Just saying...

Last edited:
The perfect boat is pretty. One that you look back upon as you are leaving and sigh contentedly...

This disqualifies most boats.

That said, the OP's perfect boat may be a houseboat.

Just saying...

Not sure if that is meant to be 'snarkey' or not. But I have owned 2 house boats over the years. Ok, one was my dad's, but that seems to counts here.

Both, at the time, were perfect made a lot of good memories and I still can smile looking back at them...just sayin.

Not snarky at all. Houseboats are way under appreciated. I keep telling my parents they should get one. I`d love to have one on the lake here.

And some houseboats are pretty seaworthy for something like the loop or well timed jaunts to the Bahamas...if it's in great shape...probably a lot safer than some of the derelict/dangerus "bluewater" boats or unseasoned captains that make those runs.

As for the budget. The wife reminds me that we dont need to max it out. I remind her that it is 'home' for a quarter of the year.

1/4 of the year means you wont be burdened with the massive piles of stuff folks cant seem to discard.

So a smaller 32 -35 ft boat should do fine IF you dont need to sleep an army of visitors.

I would look at the Gulfstars , as many have no wood , no buried plywood decks and are easy to put to bed for 3/4 of the year.

Left or right loop, Bahamas or long shore to T-Dad , no big deal.

And some houseboats are pretty seaworthy for something like the loop or well timed jaunts to the Bahamas...if it's in great shape...probably a lot safer than some of the derelict/dangerus "bluewater" boats or unseasoned captains that make those runs.

This sizeable houseboat, pictured adjacent to the C&H Sugar plant in Crockett, is fortunately approaching the then-calm waters of San Pablo Bay, which can get wild. I especially wouldn't want to take this boat going downwind with steep, following waves.

232323232%7Ffp543%3B7%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D398%3B%3B6%3C798336nu0mrj

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom