A curious vessel...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Saw this boat in Oceanside, CA and did a documentation search. It was built by a Chilean sailing catamaran company. The company is called Alwoplast and is run under German management. Even though the vessel has a pilothouse, there are sailboat winches mounted on the quarters.

Attachments

• Harbor Pics 004.jpg
    Harbor Pics 004.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 195
there are sailboat winches mounted on the quarters.

As they should be to assist in docking.(Probably on most boats)

A light high windage boat is easily blown about so some easy way to pull 500 or 1500 lbs is a great idea.

Ranks right up there with large cleats that can handle more than a single line.

FF beause the cat hulls are so narrow they are deep as well. As there is much less windage on this boat than a lot of oxygen tent trawlers and less than many FB trawlers too. I doubt if it's a problem.

Must be a lonely life for the helmsman stuck up there in that tower.

... oxygen tent trawlers ...

I learned a new saying today! Thanks!

I guess my flybridge is pretty much an oxygen tent. I do open it up when the weather is good. Of course, where I am, that's not often.

FF coined that one. He's been using that expression and others for years. I would be afraid to say something like that worrying about offending someone. I seem to do it anyway but FFs the master of cutesy talk. He calls a Taiwan Trawler a Taiwan Tub and that's one I don't care for. But yea I like the oxygen tent ...... just the expression not the thing itself.

>FF beause the cat hulls are so narrow they are deep as well.<

The most efficient , lowest wetted surface comes from a semi circle , so the depth will usually be 1/2 the hull beam .

If the boat is deeper , it is probably home designed or overloaded , both dangerous .

If a cat is to perform well enough to get some advantage, it needs to be like an aircraft , well designed , superbly built and kept to a VERY strict weight limit.

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember that boat was for sale some years ago (maybe a sister boat). I looked back in my archives and found the original Yachtworld ad. Strange though....no mention of the draft. According to the ad, it was built as a sport-fisher, and used price was 340K. It looks almost identical to the sail version.

Specs:

Builder: Alwoplast Designer: Crowther MK II
Engines: Yanmar 4JH2 UTE HP. 100 each
Max. Speed: 16 Kts. Cruise Speed: 12 Kts.
Length: 45 Ft. Beam: 23’ 3”
Displacement: 36,000 Fuel: 174
Water: 150 Holding: 2 X 26

Attachments

• 2137671_1_thumb.jpg
    2137671_1_thumb.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 2137671_2_thumb.jpg
    2137671_2_thumb.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 2137671_3_thumb.jpg
    2137671_3_thumb.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Here's a shot of the sail version.

I think Alwoplast had a 50 or so powercat at the Miami Show once....very impressive. I think Crowther also designed the Barbara Mae, a beefy 50-60 ft. or so powercat that struck me as one of the nicest designs yet. If I had the money to throw at a new Cat build, Alwoplast would be in the running.

Attachments

• Tiare2.jpg
    Tiare2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 153
They could have carried the pilot house back a few more feet, cut a hole in the helm seat and let it do double duty as the head. Bombs away, into the wake! Just like in the old days.

> Bombs away, into the wake! Just like in the old days.<

In the real OLD DAYS the head rope was fwd so the crew could stand on the chains holding the bow sprit in place.

They could have carried the pilot house back a few more feet, cut a hole in the helm seat and let it do double duty as the head. Bombs away, into the wake! Just like in the old days.

Not exactly a new idea, you know.

Attachments

• davit head.jpg
    davit head.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 130
I wonder what the best TP would be for that.

That's funny! I literally laughed out loud!

attachment.php

What do I say when someone asks me to list their boat with one of these someday:eek:

attachment.php

What do I say when someone asks me to list their boat with one of these someday:eek:

You could either say it has an alfresco head or simply state that it has lots of headroom...

I see a couple issues with the poop deck...

1- keeping the roll dry.. not doing so would cause grief

2- needs to be heated for northern climates

3- imagine the scene when one runs out of tp and has to waddle below
for replacement rolls

4- keeping the abrasive salt crystals from causing one a " horse shoe rash"

Merry Christmas,

HOLLYWOOD

Is the dinghy used as a "holding tank"?

Hollywood's right, a proper raw water washdown option with patented "Comfo" nozzle seems appropriate.

Attachments

• davit head nozzel.jpg
    davit head nozzel.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 69
While enjoying Christmas Eve/Day in Sugarloaf Bay, Middle Harbor Sydney, we were feeding 2 cute ducks. Below the ducks we could see fish which became very excited when the ducks pooped. Watch out for Jaws & Friends.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom