Advice wanted on a Halvorsen 44 (sedan)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbad

Veteran Member
Hi guys wondering if any one can help I am looking at a Kong & Halvorsen mark two sedan 44 ft, hull ID 109. Have e-mailed Halvorsen re any info they have no reply as yet, have come across old listings of a vessel with the same name Sandsation registered in Florida. But listed with a different year build, don't know if this is the same vessel it is currently located in Perth Western Australia. Any info reviews of this version much appreciated.
Regards Karl

Karl,
Have you tried the broker it is listed with.
They should along with the present owner should have a lot of the vessels history.
Cheers
Benn

I don`t like your chances contacting Halvorsen who closed years ago. Better possibilities might be trying to locate and contact Mark Halvorsen, who ran the brokerage at Bobbin Head until 2 years or so back and usually brings a Selene to the Boat Show, or Harvey Halvorsen who lived in northern Sydney, maybe Lindfield, which I only know because he wrote to "Afloat" a while back.
Maybe AndyG will have better info.
It does sound like the boat was brought over from the U.S. Maybe for resale? Did it get younger on the way? Time zone changes?:)

Hi guys yes it is Mark Halvorsen who i have contacted they still list Halvorsen's owned in Aus on their site so hoping they may have access to old records. I have a bit of info on the boat but it is the little inconsistencies and the unsaid that raise my eyebrows. I am convinced that it is an import as the power is listed as 120v with 240v connection through a transformer. So am assuming the generator would be 120v. I am lucky to have access to a marine qualified electrician so converting it is possible. But would be good to know all the history of the vessel, and any issues particular to this model, i have been trying to do my research.
What i would like to know is there any reviews on this model and if anyone has been on one, on one review that i have found although on a different model is that it has a tendency to wander in a following sea, this could be due to small rudder footprint or the large keel. It has had osmosis treatment which if done properly is ok but i will be checking that out. Makes me wonder if someone imported it got stung with a lemon and done the best they could to fix it and then move it on.
Is the hull design the same as the Trawler (Island Gypsy) and the differnece being the horsepower thrown at it?

Karl, I saw a 44 2 weeks ago looking much like this one, in the water. I see it has 425hp Cats, 1100 hours reported, an excess of power IMO, the fuel use when it tries to plane must be frightening but it should be ok at hull speed. I don`t believe the hull shape varies within sizes, but note an added section at the chines my 36 does not have. Osmosis is usually a feature, was that fixed here or pre import, if here, talk to who did it. The timber transom planking over the f/g has been painted, people get sick of varnishing. What is shown of the teak decking looks better than I`d expect, wonder if it`s been sanded.
It would be useful to compare the 2 listings, certainly the broker should have the history, including importation. Mark Halvorsen told me he first visited the factory in China in 1988, so should know something about boats built in 1990 but as this was sold in the USA unlikely he knows the boat.
The "lemon" suspicion is possible,more likely it was imported to resell for profit. Survey is your best protection there.
I doubt you`ll find a review, but search and see. I can`t think of anyone on TF with a 44. They seem to hang around for sale. Anchorline Brokers in QLD have one listed, they were IG agents, know the boats well, are decent to deal with and might talk your questions through with you. I recall a 44 Europa privately advertised in Sydney a while back at around 200K.

Cheers Bruce for the info have searched fairly hard for any reviews can't find any beyond the Pascoe review of an Island Gypsy 40 which was interesting. The osmosis treatment was here but it contradicts or overlaps perhaps is a better word certain other timeline info i have on a boat of the same name and description in the US could just be overlap.
Will know more tomorrow scheduled to have a bo peep.

Is the hull design the same as the Trawler (Island Gypsy) and the differnece being the horsepower thrown at it?

Welcome aboard Karl.

We have two IG 44's at our club and I was looking at one when she was slipped the other day.

The hull looks very similar to your Kong & Halvorsen 44' which makes sense, I doubt they would have gone to the trouble and expense of making a new mould when one was already available.If that is so you should have no worries as to its sea capability.

The super structure resembles the style of 1990's boats like the early Riveria's and Mariner's.

I agree with Bruce, with those engines power is not an issue, fuel consumption may be. Osmosis with the IG/Kong & Halvorsen family was an optional extra you could order when the boat was being laid up. it appears most owners went for that option. :rolleyes:

The boat definitely sounds like a grey import, good you have a competent electrician.You should pump the broker for more information as to the boats history, ask to contact or meet the present owner directly. If they think you are a serious buyer I doubt they would say no..

Good luck and keep us advised how it pans out.

Had a look today don't think it is the one for me will keep looking around.

Just out of interest what put you off the boat?

Hi Andy a few things
Needs hull above waterline and superstructure repaint,
It is a US import air cons have been decommissioned would need sorting
No accurate hours on the motors or generator (although they appeared in good nick)
Boat would need rewire new appliances for converting to 240V Generator would need setting up for 240 if possible or replacing
Needs holding tank or bladder for toilets
Would need new electronics to do the job i want (extensive)
Tender is not suited to what i want (minor but still a cost)
Stated hull age is not i think accurate
The guy who did the osmosis repairs has moved on so can't talk to him about what was done (although the owner says he has survey report that covers that (I haven't as yet seen it)
All up i estimate that it would probably cost me around the 50 to 60 K to sort it out to what i want including the paint job (allow another 10 K for stuff i didn't notice), which then takes it into another price bracket and lots of other boats.
I want a boat for long distance cruising this one would i think be better suited to a week or so at a time not for six months or so at a time.
Interesting all the same.

You should be able to determine the age from the HIN.

Bob

Have received the survey report hull age is 1986, hull number 104 for someone with the time and money and the right use for the boat it would be a worthwhile restoration the hull was repaired properly, 8mm shaved off and new layers of vinyl ester laid mat and cloth built up to a thickness of 9mm all done under the supervision of a marine surveyor.

Would the aft cabin IG version in Qld, with Lehmans, better suit long range cruising? IMO the current one is overpowered, same as an IG 36 with 250hp Volvos instead of Lehmans or similar.
Maybe the more available GB42 would suit your purpose.

Bruce i agree the trawler style configuration would be better suited to long range. I was toying with the idea of a compromise hull and changing the operating speeds, but the reality is i think just concentrate on the long term ideal. Save a bit more and aim for the right vessel.

Save a bit more and aim for the right vessel.
There are GB42s advertised at below/above/similar prices to the IG. I don`t need a bigger boat, don`t want the hassle of getting another one right, but some GB prices and boats are interesting.

Did you compare this vessel with the one for sale via Boatworks Yacht Sale,, Rowayton, Ct. 1986 Gypsy 44' for $ 195,000. YW#1621-2598360. Looks like sister ship.

Yes i did have a pretty good look around, the under water hull restoration that has been done on this boat is the shinning light. The problem with it is the owner is not that boat savvy he has owned a lot of other vessels but has always had a "man" to do the maintenance which in of itself is not a bad idea if you don't have the knowledge pretending to can get you into trouble. But it has been left neglected for a period of time and is showing the effects, as well that paint job is going to be huge. At the very least a month on the hard, unless you pay up for a contractor.

Yes, you are right, take your time and find your right boat for you.

It's like the old adage marry in haste repent at leisure.

Yes i did have a pretty good look around, the under water hull restoration that has been done on this boat is the shinning light. The problem with it is the owner is not that boat savvy he has owned a lot of other vessels but has always had a "man" to do the maintenance which in of itself is not a bad idea if you don't have the knowledge pretending to can get you into trouble. But it has been left neglected for a period of time and is showing the effects, as well that paint job is going to be huge. At the very least a month on the hard, unless you pay up for a contractor.
i have been looking at the same boat Can you call me on 0418939135 thanks brendan

Searching the thread I could not see a price. For anyone interested, a broker in Western Australia lists the boat at 225K AUD.

The owner posted on this. I moved it to Classifieds, since it is of general interest.

Last edited:
Searching the thread I could not see a price. For anyone interested, a broker in Western Australia lists the boat at 225K AUD.

Wrong boat.
Mine is for private sale, now at $155k AUD.
Cheers.

Hi Bruce.
I believe that the Halvorsen listed at $225,000 still comes with the optional osmosis :)

Hi Bruce.
I believe that the Halvorsen listed at $225,000 still comes with the optional osmosis :)
Osmosis on Halvorsens/IGs was a compulsory "delete option", but deletion is at owners expense. I know, I`ve done it, so has AndyG.

I like the lines of that Halvorsen. She looks very similar to a Hargrave design. I liked them when they first came out. As a matter of fact, I had though about buying one then.

Back
Top Bottom