USCG Gets New Cutter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting vessel. Even more interesting is the site - lots of good articles. Thanks!

Out of boot camp, my son served on the USGC Cutter Tahoma a few years ago. He's now in Nothern California playing around in the 47 footers training to be a surfman. The new cutter looks pretty awesome, I'm sure he would have liked a chance to serve on that one.

The Tahoma:
USCGC_Tahoma_Kittery_Maine_2010-02-26.jpg

Built by Bollinger Shipyards Headquartered in Lockport Louisiana about 20 miles down Bayou Lafourche from Thibodaux where I live. I am not sure which of their 20+ yards built these cutters, they have built several series for the CG. They are a good 4th generation family owned and operated company, they keep quite busy with gov't. and oil industry fabrication.

Don't know much about this one..but the average cutter the USCG in recent memory has been a POS because of budget issues or design fiascos.

going back to the 110's...that barely madr it ito their half service life without major repairs...the 27-0's that ride like crap because the footage cut out of them from the original design...etc...etc...

White paint and a big orange stripe look good for the camera...always ask a bunch of guys who have a lot of experience aboard a variety of cutters before you believe media hype or a picture to determine effectiveness of your tax dollars or the safety of your son/daughter serving aboard oneG

Back
Top Bottom