Sundowner Tugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
How many Sundowner Tugs out there on TF? Three? Maybe more..?

Sundowner

Bought our Sundowner 30 in late June. So far its been a good experience. Brought her across Lake Michigan to Frankfort, down to Pentwater and home to Grand Haven. Now adding touches to make her our own . Looking forward to some great trips north.

Hello bharden!
There's a couple of other SD30's on the forum as you can see.

Personally, I love the lines of the sundowner. Teak decks, no- but many of them have fiberglass decks. Very nice boats. Congratulations!

Lil Toot is now tucked away for the winter but not forgotten. She is getting a deck bimini and pilot house window covers next week and we fixed the oven and autopilot before she went in the barn. Numerous other small problems came to surface in Aug. and Sept. but we took care of most of them.

Now learning how to caulk teak and practicing on the deck box covers. The aft deck will be first in the spring. Lots of differing theory's out their. I'll see what works and what doesn't.

Good to hear your first summer went well.

We're dragging our butts to put the winter snow shedding cover up on Badger. We keep bumping into Humpback Whales (eight in the last group) an hour from the marina, and the weather has been warm and dry with light-ish winds. Snow on the mountains around town and frost in the mornings are getting harder and harder to ignore though...

Hi,
I just bought my "Sundowner 30" Regency 30 Tug/Trawler last summer in Port Credit Ontario. She is now in my barn in upstate NY getting a face lift to her teak as well as upgrades to many of her systems.
I would love pictures of your Bimini when you get a chance bharden.
Thanks Steve

Another Sundowner 30 Tug!

Hi Everyone,

We fell in love with a Sundowner two summers ago, and moved from Sail to power. Slow Motion is a boat house queen! She still has her original Pathfinder going strong, and now has a shiny new transmission installed by the skipper himself after much troubleshooting, research, and study.

Great fun to read the posts from other Sundowner fans and thanks to MurrayM for the invitation to introduce myself.

Marie

A bit of an explanation about my user name...it seems I believe our Sundowner's name should be Angela but her name was Slow Motion when we purchased her and that name won.

Welcome aboard. You'll find lots of fans here for Sundowners.

Dang, them's real purdy boats :)

Welcome aboard Marie!

Hi Marie and welcome! Always nice to see another North Puget Sound member.

Thanks everyone. We don't see many Sundowners out there, so it's nice to find all of you.
Marie

The canvas

20140505_165832.jpg

20140505_165848.jpg

Finally got the canvas & window coverings. Guess they figured we were not going anywhere the last 6 months up here in Michigan. Back in the water.

Hey Lil Toot
Looks beautiful! Love the window coverings too.
They look like twin sisters!

Hi Murry,
Been awhile to contact with you. A fellow employee of my retired from company just purchased the apparently somewhat rare 30 foot pilot house only version. He likes the open aft deck space. Even with that, the remaining pilot house and forward accommodations are adequate for he and his wife. I have pointed him in the TF direction and now will re-enforce that point.

Too, there is currently a 30 for sale in Juneau.
30' sundowner tug

Al-Ketchikna (Bridge to NOwhere) Alaska

Hi Al,

Your buddy has the 'Chatterbox Falls' model...definitely roomy enough for two who like to snuggle up ;)

Hello. I bough my sundowner last year I am really happy with it. I was wonder if anybody has had to replace the teak walls in there's? At one time the Windows had leaked and the teak started turning black. I want to replace it if anybody has any feedback I would appreciate it. Thank you

That's what I have been looking at I was wondering if anybody has done anything different before I ordered the veneer thank you for writing back

Hello. I bough my sundowner last year I am really happy with it. I was wonder if anybody has had to replace the teak walls in there's? At one time the Windows had leaked and the teak started turning black. I want to replace it if anybody has any feedback I would appreciate it. Thank you

Hi,
I too had that problem. I had the teak vaneer replaced by some craftsmen in Maine this winter. They did a good job but here are the problems.
1. New teak is much darker than the somewhat faded original teak.
2. It is very expensive, requiring very skilled craftsmen, to replace and it stands out markedly from the original because of the dark color.
3. They and the other shops I talked with all recommended that instead of replacing the vaneer I should just paint all the vaneer white, as is done in some other quality boats, using a fill in to cover any loose or rippled Vaneer. If I had it to do over I would have done this and saved 2/3s of the cost of replacement and varnish. All the solid teak, cabinet frames etc., would still be left varnished so you wouldn't give up the total teak look. White paint would also brighten up the interior.

Good luck!:)
Steve

My wife brought our teak cap rails back from black to golden brown. Uses a mixture of vinegar, baking soda and something else maybe turpentine. PM me and I'll get her to tell all.

I'll have to look into painting it I could try a little spot to see what it would look like because we don't have many people that do boat work like that thank you for your help sahockey

Yes I would be interested in what you wife uses on your teak rail thank you manyboats

In one year all the teak will look the same.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom