Hello from Vienna, Austria, Europe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghaffy

Vessel Name
DIDO
Vessel Make
Albin 25 AK
Hello everyone, :flowers:

When registering I felt a bit like little Benji going out to spend the afternoon with the grown-up brother and his friends. :blush:
We have an ALBIN 25 AK, which - with some self-confidence - one might call a pocket trawler, although she might well fit as the captain's launch to some of the ships here in the Trawler Forum. ;)

Nevertheless we are quite proud of her. :)
"We" stands for my wife, our three kids (5 to 12), and me.
Our A25 "DIDO" is berthed at the River Danube close to Vienna (Austria) most of the year. July & August we spend on the Adriatic, which is some 12 hrs trailering from where we live.
This is also the major reason why we hardly can go beyond the size of our Albin.

As the typical "silent reader" I spent quite a couple of hours here finding and consuming so much valuable information and reading interesting stories. Great place here! :thumb:

Regards from Vienna, Austria
Andreas

Our Albin 25

dido albin 25 ak.jpg
Our Albin 25 "DIDO" & Crew in Croatia

Welcome aboard. Many of us dream of taking a river cruise on the Danube. In the meantime we will live through your stories.

Marty

Welcome aboard, looks like you are enjoying the boating as much as we do......:thumb:

Welcome. I love to see a boat used and enjoyed like that. Great picture. Please post more.

Th Best Of Europa

Every minute I have spent in your city has been my best time in Europa. Great city, great people, great river. Also very good food and beer. Welcome to our forum.

Welcome Andreas,

Having done the Austria to Adriatic drive many times, I do not envy you with a trailer and 25' boat.

I hope to make an Atlantic passage next July and then possibly bring the boat south, though the french canals in oct 2014.
If I do that, will keep it in the Adriatic, as I want to be close to my friends in the Veneto and Friuli.

We shall have to stay in touch.

Richard

Welcome Andreas. We look forward to sharing your adventures in a beautiful part of the planet!

Welcome Andreas, from Vienna, my favourite city in Europe, from which my father`s family came to Australia. I hope you enjoy your time on TF.

Yes welcome indeed,Dido looks a fine vessel.

And of course you have some of the finest skiing on the planet.An old friend from Lech once told me that Austria was like Switzerland, with a sense of humour!

I just have to mention one of the greatest movies of all time--------

The Third Man

Might be the first non-white hulled Albin 25 I've ever seen. Certainly the first red one. Looks good. I'm a big fan of the 25. Came close to buying one myself. Nice to have another little guy around as my boat is dimensionally challenged as well. Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard. Our first "trawler" was a 1970 A25. We trailered it a lot and loved the boat. We often talk about getting another one, it was a very freeing vessel for us. Here is a blog we wrote about one of our trips aboard her in 2010.
princesslouisa2010.blogspot.com

Nice to have you aboard.

Hi Andreas,

DODO from Vienna greets DIDO!
Great you joined the TF. A while ago I have read with great interest about your DIY watermaker. Good job! You should share your experince at the TF.

Karl

Hang on, Diddo & Dodo? Is this an Austrian thing?

"I just have to mention one of the greatest movies of all time--------"

The Third Man

Just for you.

AKA Harry Lime, cue the zithar

Anton Karas - The Third Man Theme - YouTube

Last edited:
I am a fan of Vienna (visited in 2010) and in pocket cruisers. I find that Europeans get away with far less than us Americans and applaud you. A family of 5 cruising on a 25 footer is unheard of here.

Welcome to the forum!

BTW, Sunshine's diesel-electric motors are Steyrs, made in Austria.

Hang on, Diddo & Dodo? Is this an Austrian thing?

Hey Andy We're thankful you didn't call yourself "Dingo":thumb:

Welcome to TF Andreas, it would be nice to see some pics of your cruising areas:thumb:.

Thanks Andy G. Anton Karas, who wrote and performed the theme music for The Third Man on the zither, was truly a talented one man orchestra.

Hi Andreas,
Our first trawler was an Albin 25 too and I miss her. Her name was Trawlerette .. that just said small trawler. Almost nobody liked the name and I got tired of writing it down. Next boat (avatar) has a shorter name .. Willy.

Actually it looks like you're having MORE fun than anybody here and assume you'll bring some of that fun into the forum. I think most however will be looking for photos of your far away boating places.

Looks like from your photo w the fender on the bow stem you are protecting your bows (that's what the English say) from your anchor and if so I'm calling that a very clever thing to do and original as far as I know.

I'm a member of the Albineers of British Columbia in far western Canada. And like Spy haven't seen a maroon red Albin either. We had one chap in the club that did have an Albin with red/maroon trim .. lots of it.

I'd much rather see/hear about pocket boats than monster boats. To be really fun and useful a boat needs to be "handy". We do have an active member here that has a boat 2' shorter than yours and every inch a trawler .. as your Albin is.

Last edited:
Thank y'all for the cordial welcome! :flowers:

I'll contribute as much as I am able to, both regarding our cruises here in the area and elsewhere, and the things I've got to do to maintain Dido (there's always something to do, as you all know. ;))

I admit that we don't go that far on the Danube, rather a couple of miles up to some nice places for swimming and staying overnight with the kids. The Danube is "running" downstream with some 4 knots and more. Our 25-footer's cruising speed is approx. 5.5 to 6.5 knots.
This simply means: retired old ladies in their eighties would overtake us with their walking frames while going upstream. :whistling:
Our whole club is making a mock of Dido, as there are only very few displacement boats on the river. :blush:

5 on board of Dido might give you the impression that it is a little bit crowded. Something we hardly can deny.
DSC_0543.jpg

On the other hand: Do you know these tiny little Fiat-cars in Italy? And the crowd of kids that sometimes crawl out of these cars? :)
The Albin 25 seems to be of that kind, somehow.
More space inside than one would expect ... :D
DSC_0401.jpg

BR Andreas

Everyone seems to be enjoying it so something is right!
Enjoy it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom